Math Courses

I need some help regarding self study in the summer and future courses. My next course in mathematics since i will be transferring to university will be this engineering math course in pic related. The two texts in pic related are what i have downloaded to start in my self study. Are these two textbooks good enough cover me for this future course?

After the previous course I will have to take link related uh.edu/nsm/math/undergraduate/courses/math3363/ and I don't know how good that textbook will be, also what is your opinion on the textbook?

Other urls found in this thread:

uh.edu/nsm/math/undergraduate/courses/math4335_6/
amazon.com/Partial-Differential-Equations-Bleecker-University/dp/1571460365/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GNKSVZW803J2GWHY3T83
uh.edu/nsm/math/undergraduate/courses/math3363/
uh.edu/nsm/earth-atmospheric/undergraduate/degree-programs/bs-geophysics/
uh.edu/nsm/math/undergraduate/courses/
uh.edu/nsm/earth-atmospheric/news-events/stories/2017/0427-iba-competition.php.
uh.edu/nsm/earth-atmospheric/news-events/stories/2017/0427-iba-competition.php
publications.uh.edu/content.php?filter[27]=-1&filter[29]=&filter[course_type]=1841&filter[keyword]=&filter[32]=1&filter[cpage]=1&cur_cat_oid=22&expand=&navoid=6360&search_database=Filter&filter[exact_match]=1#acalog_template_course_filter
publications.uh.edu/preview_course_nopop.php?catoid=22&coid=71597
publications.uh.edu/preview_course_nopop.php?catoid=22&coid=71598
physicsforums.com/threads/mathematical-physics-books-hassanis-or-arfkens.124263/
uh.edu/nsm/_docs/phys/academics/undergraduate/Physics Course Schedule.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Finally I will have to take a 4000 level course in math to graduate, I am planning on taking this uh.edu/nsm/math/undergraduate/courses/math4335_6/ to get my math minor so i can graduate. The bad thing is that I have read unsatisfactory reviews regarding the textbook used in the course. And so i came across this textbook amazon.com/Partial-Differential-Equations-Bleecker-University/dp/1571460365/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GNKSVZW803J2GWHY3T83 and I have since downloaded it. If I can get your opinion on this text i would really appreciate it.

I mean the content in those is so trivial that you don't really need to think about it so the book shouldn't matter.

ok, thank you

Don't be a brainlet and take MATH 3331 - Ordinary Differential Equations.

>Taking ODE's means you are not a brainlet

Functional Analysis is the brainlet test, pleb

Ill be taking complex analysis since i need it to graduate. I eont be a brainlet after i take that right?

> I will have to take link related uh.edu/nsm/math/undergraduate/courses/math3363/
>I am planning on taking this uh.edu/nsm/math/undergraduate/courses/math4335_6/ to get my math minor so i can graduate

Are you even allowed to do that? PDEs 1&2 seem like a more thorough version of the introPDEs course. I'd skip the intro and go straight into 1&2. If that makes you one too short for the minor then take the complex analysis course.

>your opinion on the textbook[s]

My PDEs course used both Haberman and Strauss and from the sections I read of them, they were both fine. PDEs is just a difficult course (in both computation and theory) and kids that weren't ready for it like to take it out on the book and professor. I know honors math kids that outright failed it because they've never done a physics course and couldn't grasp the motivation.

If you've already taken linear algebra just take the standard ODE course, it'll better prepare you for PDE, also worth mentioning that the PDE sequence can be sporadic so make sure the full sequence is being offered before you enroll. The complex analysis course at UH is laughably easy, you might as well take the math methods for physics class, last time I checked that can be used as a substitute for complex analysis. Math methods is basically complex analysis, special functions, material on asymptotic techniques, and some more topics that depend on whose teaching it.

The material covered in PDE 1 & 2 goes way beyond the intro class, it also helps to have some analysis for the later parts of strauss concerning L2 convergence and what not. A good book to cover the techniques is PDE for scientists and engineers.

>Are you even allowed to do that? PDEs 1&2 seem like a more thorough version of the introPDEs course. I'd skip the intro and go straight into 1&2. If that makes you one too short for the minor then take the complex analysis course.

Unfortunately, due to my academic program uh.edu/nsm/earth-atmospheric/undergraduate/degree-programs/bs-geophysics/ I do have to take intro PDE then complex analysis.

The reason why i can't skip straight into PDE 1&2 is because i have to take the intro course first since it is listed as a requirement. Point being, i don't even need to take PDE 1&2, the reason why i have decided to take it is because of this here.

Capstone Requirement

All students in NSM are required to complete the Capstone Requirement but there are no specific Capstone courses in Geophysics. Geophysics majors may satisfy the Capstone in a number of ways by completing: an approved minor, a double major, a senior research project, a senior honors thesis, 6 hours of NSM-designated interdisciplinary capstone courses, 9 hours selected from INDE4333, DISC3371, 4368, 4370, 4371, 4372, 4377, 4378 or 4379. Most Geophysics majors satisfy the Capstone Requirement either through completion of a minor in Mathematics (an additional 3 hours of 4000-level mathematics) or by taking Field Geology (GEOL3355 and 3360).

>Most Geophysics majors satisfy the Capstone Requirement either through completion of a minor in Mathematics (an additional 3 hours of 4000-level mathematics)

And PDE was listed here uh.edu/nsm/math/undergraduate/courses/ as one of the courses i could take to graduate via attaining a minor, my bad if I confused you.

Also, would taking PDE's be better than taking linear algebra 1&2 because it has more applications in the real world, right?

Unfortunately i haven't taken linear yet, transcript wise i'm only up to cal 3, and i think i am forced to take Engi math, I don't know if taking ODE and linear in 2 semesters would substitute for engi math, either way i can't take ODE because that would tack on another semester. But I will try to ask if taking math methods for physics would substitute for complex analysis. I'll ask the advisors about that.

Side note, from what you said, math methods would be more applicable to real life, correct?

Thank you, ill be sure to download that book if I can, if not i'll just buy it. Is there any advice you have per say regarding PDE's?

>it also helps to have some analysis for the later parts of strauss concerning L2 convergence and what not
Are you talking about real, complex, or vector analysis? Could you recommend a book regarding said analysis so I can be better prepared?

Whatever covers metric spaces.

Is University of Houston a good university?

OP here, I was told it is excellent and guaranteed a job for geophysics and geology because it is surrounded by oil companies, and the earth science department gets loads of money from said oil companies, so regarding the earth science department it's excellent. As a result the oil wigs like to employ from UH because it's so close by, also the earth science department regarding geology got 1st place in the world for link related uh.edu/nsm/earth-atmospheric/news-events/stories/2017/0427-iba-competition.php.

All i know is that for earth sciences, UH is up there (i would argue the best from what i've read and heard from word of mouth). I know A&M is recognized for chemistry and physics, apparently their chem and physics program is top notch.

your link's broken

my bad
uh.edu/nsm/earth-atmospheric/news-events/stories/2017/0427-iba-competition.php

Introductory Functional Analysis with Applications by Erwin Kreyzig

Thank you user, i'm still lurking this thread.

Math methods is very useful is you want to physics or things related to physics, its also more bang for your buck. If you just want a really easy class though, take complex, you'll probably breeze through it. Tao has some notes on analysis, you're gonna want the undergrad ones, though depending on who's teaching PDE they may gloss over more technical issues like convergence so you maybe okay on that front. A lot people find PDE's to be a hard course but as long as you're able to identity which class a PDE falls under and the appropriate techniques for equations of that type, you'll be fine, farlow's pde book can help you with that.
UH quality varies greatly depending on what major you are, some of the programs are actually very highly ranked.
I thought UH and A&M had similar quality chem and physics programs? If I'm not mistaken the nsm dept at UH is ranked in the top 100, same with A&M, but I might be mistaken.

Just checked, A&M's NSM programs rank in the top 20-50, while UH's rank in the top 50-75. though earth/atmospheric sciences ranks very highly.

>Math methods
OP here again, take a look at this user.

publications.uh.edu/content.php?filter[27]=-1&filter[29]=&filter[course_type]=1841&filter[keyword]=&filter[32]=1&filter[cpage]=1&cur_cat_oid=22&expand=&navoid=6360&search_database=Filter&filter[exact_match]=1#acalog_template_course_filter

publications.uh.edu/preview_course_nopop.php?catoid=22&coid=71597

publications.uh.edu/preview_course_nopop.php?catoid=22&coid=71598

I found out that thier math methods course is at the graduate level only, i will have to go to the dean or a department chair in time to ask if i can get placed in as an undergraduate. I already downloaded a mathematic methods textbook (pic related). I'll just go through it slowly throughout the next two years and hopefully i can convince them. I also found out i need the Intro to complex analysis course as a prerequisite to get into math methods, so i'll have to take it anyway.

Is pic related book good?

>Is pic related book good?

Not really.

>Boas: Undergraduate. Cookbook. "For this problem category, turn this crank." Check out Riley, Hobson & Bence's book.
>Arfken: Graduate. Not even a cookbook. Everyone says "get Arfken." I didn't see any effort at pedagogy exerted in this one. It's a collection of homework problems.
>Hassani: Graduate. A blueprint of how mathematics and physics really join together. This is how you get to be a pro. The author gave a damn.
>Reference physicsforums.com/threads/mathematical-physics-books-hassanis-or-arfkens.124263/

uh.edu/nsm/_docs/phys/academics/undergraduate/Physics Course Schedule.pdf

Guess it's not being offered in the Fall of 2017, in any case the complex analysis class is super easy, a good book to look at is visual complex analysis. Don't take the grad level math methods.

The book used for the grad level math methods now is arnold's math methods of classical mechanics

>uh.edu/nsm/_docs/phys/academics/undergraduate/Physics Course Schedule.pdf

How did you get to this? is there one for geology?

Just checked the physics course page on the department website, clicked pdf that said physics courses. Math methods for geology? Don't think there's one, sorry user, it might be helpful to ask your professors what math geologists need and act accordingly, I figure there shouldn't be much beyond stats, O/PDE's, maybe some linear algebra.