ITT: stack thread

What are you going to read in 2017?

Other urls found in this thread:

global.oup.com/academic/product/the-bible-authorized-king-james-version-9780199535941?q=bible classics&lang=en&cc=us
amazon.com/ITALIAN-CITIES-FLORENCE-VENICE-SOCIETY/dp/B000YD35YG
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>good stack desu

Who are you quoting?

should I read Middlemarch or the Border Trilogy?
I'm on a western kick right now, but want to read something kind of long and challenging, and I already know what I'm in for with McCarthys prose

Definitely the border trilogy

This place is worse than I remember.

Veeky Forums has always been shit

All of these.

Ready Player One was a gift, please don't judge me

Do you play PF?

no I don't have any friends

I think you're about to make one

ebooks

>War and Peace (1/3 of the way through)
>The Count of Monte Cristo (1/3 of the way through)
>The History of the World by J.M. Roberts
>History of the Ancient World by Susan Wise Bauer
>Mythology by Edith Hamilton
>The Republic
>Dark Tower series
>The Stranger
>The Plague
>The Road
>Blood Meridian
>Metamorphosis
>The Trial
>Old Man's War
>Flowers for Algernon
>Rendezvous with Rama

That's all the ones I really want to read in 2017. Not sure what I'll read from there.

Huh. Didn't know people read PF Tales while not playing PF.

Have you read The Legend of Drizzt?

Bought online and waiting on

PK-383 Tactical Knife (Don't judge me)
Gaston Miron - L'homme Rapaillé
Keats - The Complete Poems
Houellebecq - Extension du domaine de la lutte
夏目 漱石 - 心
川端 康成 - 雪国
La guerre des Gaules - Jules César
La guerre du Péloponnèse - Thucydide
Discours de la servitude volontaire - La Boétie
Discours sur l'origine et les fondements de l'inégalité parmi les hommes - Rousseau

Realized the title and author name are reversed in the top and bottom part of my post, am too lazy to change it.

I got them because they were a dollar each, and there was a podcast I liked where they played Pathfinder.

I've never read Legend of Drizzt

>Keats - The Complete Poems
Here lies one whose name was writ in water.

Ever read Hyperion by Dan Simmons? It's got a lot of references to Keats.

read more of the geeks

I've read the following

>1/4 of Plato's dialogues
>The Iliad
>The Odyssey
>Agamemnon
>Prometheus Bound
>Hippolytus
>The Medea
>Oedipus the King
>Oedipus at Colonus
>Antigone

What other Greek works would you recommend?

Gotta keep with the times.

lmfao

Read some presocratics if you want to understand Plato better, particularly Parmenides and Heraclitus. Part of the theory of forms is Plato reconciling the permanence of Parmenides philosophy with Heraclitus' thoughts on change (e.g "you cannot step into the same river twice). Get Oxford's presocratics and sophists. If you want to continue with greek philosophy the obvious route is Aristotle, the modern library version in the op is a good one.

For history, my favorite is Herodotus. It's cool learning about the greco-persian wars, but I particularly like the discussions on local cultures and folk stories. Thucydides if you're really interested in military history, but if not just look up the speeches like Pericles' funeral oration.

For plays, Iphigenia at Aulis, Oresteia, The Clouds.

what right wing meme books do you recommend?

Mein Kampf and Atlas Shrugged.

I second Atlas Shrugged and add The Road to Serfdom, and anything by Thomas Sowell. Haven't read Meme Kampf, have heard it's rambling paranoid drivel for the most part but would absolutely buy and read if I ever discover a second hand copy.

I've finished Dorian Grey yesterday at 23:57.
Hitchcock/Truffaut kinda disappointing, same with Spengler so far, I've stopped at arab numerals.
I think I'm going to start reading american psycho first because first few pages were really exciting and I want to see more of it.
I'm not so sure why did I get Pynchon in original and I don't know if I manage to read it, that's might be too difficult for me desu senpai.
On it's way to me there is also Gravity's Rainbow, How to read films and ye, it will take me some time to read all of them

what do I need to read in 2017 Veeky Forums? this is what I've read so far that I've enjoyed

im reading the trial right now

>pretentious enough to give japanese titles in japanese
>puts comentarii de bello gallico in the wrong language

nice bible but you should totally get the oxford classics edition. introductions and apocrypha will complete your biblical experience.

global.oup.com/academic/product/the-bible-authorized-king-james-version-9780199535941?q=bible classics&lang=en&cc=us

>dumping both libertarians and fascists into the "right wing"

Un homme qui dort is maximum comfyness

no, no

if you want KJV it's Norton or nothing

I think you forget yer picture m8

ive heard great things about the norton critical editions.

Currently have Stoner, Atlas Shrugged and Dance Dance Dance stacked. From 1 to 10 how much did I get memed?

Read Warlock

>kill two birds and get stoned

What did he mean by this?

degeneracy

Seeing as how no one on Veeky Forums positively promotes Atlas Shrugged, I think you memed yourself.

Unfortunately for Keats, that epitaph had the opposite effect that I'm sure he wanted it to, it is now a famous act

I guess I'm the first.

Atlas Shrugged is good.

Don't let it turn you into an insufferable asshole.

Read Stranger in a Strange Land afterward to balance out the tendency to apply Rand's ideas to contexts they don't make sense in.

>DUDE IM 16

Currently reading;

The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Blank Slate - Steven Pinker

Plans to read because I am a plebeian;

Infinite Jest
Ulysses
Jerusalem - Alan Moore
I am a Strange Loop - Douglas Hofstadter

and then a whole bunch of other random philosophy books, non-fiction, sci-fi, blah, blah blah.

I would also like to start Karl Marx's Das Kapital and Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time.

Demons (already started)
Brothers Karamazov
Lost Souls
Blood Meridian
The Iliad/Odyssey
The Republic

Hey, day one and I've already got an update. I started Kill Two Birds and Get Stoned. It's shit. I was embarrassed for Kinky. After like, 25 pages I started just skimming it.
I will always love They Ain't Makin Jews Like Jesus Anymore, but he really should stick to music.
On the other hand, if all the other books are that bad, I'll be able to get through the whole stack in no time.

>teen wolf
>paula hawkins
>weeaboo garbage
I know that you fags are just trying to b8, but damn.

patrician

Well, if I ever actually feel like reading for fun ever again, here's what I'd like to get through

Life and Fate - Grossman
Flann O'Brien's novels
Beckett's trilogy
Against the Day - Pinecone
Anna Karenina
Maybe some Woolf, more Lispector...

Gonna (try to) read some of Ligotti's fiction whenever the library gets it in, too

Legend of the Galactic Heroes isn't weeaboo garbage

>shit tier japanese political sci-fi
>not weeaboo garbage

nice selection

Because I bought them in Japanese user.

Plan to go through all this in the next few months! Currently rereading Ice by Anna Kavan and then will read From Hell.

very good stack, user

I will probably spend the next year overwhelmingly, if not solely, upon my RSC edition of Shakespeare's Complete Works.

I might go back to Faust Parts I & II as well.

I was listening to a few interviews with Bloom on New Year's Eve, and he made me realize how unacquainted I am with Shakespeare in general. As I Brit I've read Antony and Cleopatra, that's it. What's more, it was only a very surface-level reading.

I'm most looking forward to Hamlet, although I'm also keen to see why Bloom likes (and identifies with?) Falstaff so much. The physical resemblance is certainly there at least.

oooh nice. sounds like fun.

Did you get that Kavan book because it was in the lit anime?

Nah, I read it back in May or something. That anime may have pushed me to go through with the reread that I wanted to do of it though.
I hope that anime didn't dissuade you from it or something, it's too good a book to let pettiness get in the way like that.

nice try commie

You're going to have to read more of the greeks if you want to appreciate that thesaurus

What was it about Hitchcock/Truffuat that disappointed you?

>illiad
>sysphus
>the Inferno!
plenty of greek representation. he should be able to enjoy that thesaurus thoroughly

Favorite used bookstore is having a 20% off sale; I indulged in a few books I've been wanting for months.

That looks incredibly boring.

Pretty patrician stack

I second this. Shit looks like a snooze fest. Throw some Tom Robbins in there to shake things up amirite?

Cool stack, let me know how the french history book and everything below it are.

Also: Want to read Conrad's 'Secret Agent'. I would like to buy a collection of Orwell's essays and 'The Importance of Being Earnest'.

Posting again - the books I got for Christmas.

someone convince me that augustine's confessions isn't garbage if you're non-religious.

Would add on to
that Aristophanes is pretty good - I like Lattimore's translations. Frogs, Wasps, Lysistrata. Also, Plutarch's lives (although not technically greek) covers a lot of greeks and might be interesting after Herodotus.
Maybe Iphegenia in Aulis if you like plays?

>more like wrong wing

10/10 would hunt down degenerates with

Cheers!

From what I can tell, the French history book is supposed to be a more academic tracing of trends rather than simple exposition of events and people; I recently got an older, more general history of France, which I think I'll read first.

To those that buy used books online, where do you buy from?

Abebooks
Click "show seller-supplied images" when filtering your search so you don't get fucked by a stock image

I don't think many religious people read Augustine, I read him for his theology/philosophy. I'm interested in European history, I'm currently transitioning from the Romans to the Medieval period. I like how you can see essentially the history of thought as you see ideas that originate in Plato and end up in Augustine through the Neoplatonists like Plotinus. Then Augustine combined Neoplatonism with Christian doctrine, it's really incredible when you think about it. Augustine is considered one of the fathers of the church, he had a huge influence on Christian theology. Aquinas did a similar thing with Aristotle's philosophy, just another reason to start with the greeks.

I could go on, this shit gets me really excited. Christianity is next to the Roman Empire in being the most influential institutions in Europe, and consequently the world.

Hmm, I can see why I might enjoy him more now that I've read some of the greeks - I read augustine on a class on biographies, and focused primarily on his writing as a biography (which, when compared to the rest of that course i.e. Speak, Memory and Rousseau, was not nearly as interesting to read)

im a kindle guy but i wanna read
-divine comedy
-wittgenstein's mistress
-confessions of a mask
-the making of the atomic bomb
-conquest of the useless (werner herzog's book about filming Fitzcarraldo)

are you a theology student?

infinite jest is good, proust is good
don't bother reading Kapital if you want my opinion, unless youre a historian or a card carrying communist it's not worth slogging through Marx's windy prose

good haul user, enjoy

great taste dude, Secret Agent is so fresh & engaging. i want to read that again now

I just finished Confessions, and while reading about his conversion is powerful, I'm much more interested in the last few books when he starts getting into his thoughts on memory and time and stuff. Although I think it being essentially the first autobiography is important in itself.

Nope, audio engineering, I read in my spare time. But I am sort of trying to give myself a classical education, as I have a great love for the West.

whats the Rome, Florence,Venice thing?

>secret agent
im already a philosophical anarchist. what should i expect from conrad? im drunk btw

Brief (~300 pages each) cultural histories of each city. About 100 images (photos, paintings, maps) per volume. I wanted a taste of Florice/Venice without spending too much time on them.

looks wonderful. any chance you can give me the author name or something else to find it.

Folio Society "Italian Cities" by Chistopher Hibbert:

amazon.com/ITALIAN-CITIES-FLORENCE-VENICE-SOCIETY/dp/B000YD35YG

Surprisingly affordable, with plenty of similarly priced copies on abebooks. Cheers!

>3848 pages
seems pretty complete, not that user but thanks for the heads up

amazon.ca
archambault.ca (local store)
decitre.fr

>.ca
Hello leaf

Sup

Does anyone know if the Sebastopol Sketches are contained in the shorter fiction collections of Tolstoy? I've tried looking for a new / like new copy published by Penguin but they're pretty absurdly priced (~$80).

One of these things is not like the other.

Nice

I was hoping for a book about film theory, but it's nothing like that. Truffaut just asks questions about Hitch's films in chronological order, summarizing each of them which is annoying as I had seen maybe 7 films of Hitchcock before reading this book and I have to skip some pages. He just explains how he made particular scenes, what was he happy about, what was he upset about etc. And Truffaut constantly acts like he would be keen to blow Alfred, he doesn't bring much to the table and is pretty irritating.

Ayyy

delete this awful thread