Science Mindfucks

What is your #1 scientific mindfuck, Veeky Forums? The one that gives you an exestensial crisis or just makes your mind go fucky.

Mine would be
>The fastest-spinning neutron star known is PSR J1748-2446ad, rotating at a rate of 716 times a second or 43,000 revolutions per minute, giving a linear speed at the surface on the order of 0.24 c (i.e. nearly a quarter the speed of light).

>0.24 c

Neutron stars in general.
Cooler than black holes desu.

>A piece of matter from a neutron star would fall straight to the center of the Earth as if Earth were made up of a near vacuum.

And then it would pop back out again and oscillate for a bit.

String theory in general.

This. Neutron Stars and Magnetars are mind boggling.

What's so mindfucking about neutron stars? They're literally no weirder than atomic nuclei. Things like black holes, """dark energy""", false vacuum are way more mind boggling.

Wait till you get up to speed with Polchinski. Now that's what i call mindfuck. But a beautiful one

>what's so special about about x lol
>y and z are like so much cooler lmao

>ywn know what's inside a black hole

Yes, that's essentially what I wrote, why are you quoting it?

That there are still monkeys left, even though we evolved from monkeys!

Woah dude thats so amazing

I mean they're pretty weird in the way that they're literally just a giant clump of nucleons with nothing else between them, in the way that they exist because electrons would rather fuse with a proton than be in the same place as another electron, in the way that they're so dense that when you look at one you see more than half of the surface due to gravitational lensing and in the way that they pick up so much energy from the initial collapse that they spin at relativistic speeds despite weighing more than the sun.

Those other things are cool too but it's not a zero sum game.

>no wierder than atomic nuclei

id say the fact that they are basically atomic nuclei but bigger than mt everest makes them pretty wierd

To this day, i'm still amazed by the scale of our universe and some objects in it.

No, it would immediately explode because it is no longer held together by gravity.

What's pushing it apart?

What's hold it together?

neutrons
they don't like being squished like jews into a cattle car

Nuclear forces, obviously. In a neutron star, matter is compressed by gravity. Multiple neutrons of different velocity all occupy the same point without touching each other, like how EM waves can occupy the same point in space without interfering with each other. Remove the gravity of the star and the regular forces take over. The matter goes from degenerate to regular, and blows itself apart in a shower of neutrons. This would cause a chain reaction of fission with molecules in the air, creating a huge nuclear explosion. This is assuming the neutron star matter just appeared out of nowhere on earth.

Because it's some dumb shit you could say about anything

Galaxy Filaments

They show us that entropy works one a gargantuanally inhuman scale and that there's a good chance all of our known universe is merely a tiny portion of an even larger type of patterning of the universe on a scale so large we can't even see a fraction of a % of it.

Psychological arrow of time.

correction: "arrow of time"

Been a while, seems there are different terms to this now.

I

this

We didn't evolve from monkeys. We evolved from something that had more than one evolutionary path. That creature was not human or monkey and neither of them became monkey or human until many more evolutionary changes.

>if you travel at .99999c, time stops moving for you

Looks like reverse Florida at a 90 degree rotation

>if you do something impossible, another impossible thing will happen

Wow man yeah lol xD this totally blew my mind too I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE XD

Doesn't your mass increase as well?

Kekekekekekekek Einsteins says if i were on a baem of light and i approached a clock i'd never see the hand move IFLS IFLS IFLS im such a nerd loll

More like your ass hahahaha

>impossible
>implying we could never get objects moving at respectable fractions of the speed of light

Still, moving just a few million meters a second is enough to stop time is a cool thought

>>implying we could never get objects moving at respectable fractions of the speed of light
>objects
Yeah, no. But obviously we're already doing it in particle colliders.

Is this the true power of The World? Accelerating to .999...*C?

I don't see it

I'd say the resolution limit is what's a mindfuck. We can't go any to any smaller measure of time, length, and mass. Essentially there is a minimum to everything. We have both ends of the spectrum covered with maxes and mins.

There are no fire extinguishers in that room on the right.

Hello hi. Welcome to Veeky Forums. We hope you enjoy your time here!

It cannot be unseen.

Another fucking ignorant dumbass who cant into evolution and a common ancestor.

Listen fuckface, you want mind blown? Take a direct route back through your paternal line and your direct ancestor was some sort of fucking fish Not enough to blow your mind? Then continue back and your direct ancestor was a single celled organism floating in the ancient ocean.

fuck this gay boy shit, the only mind fucks I need are mathematical ones. Halting problem anyone? Banach Tarski paradox anyone? Fuck yall niggas.

> Science Mindfucks
The current status of the most successful scientific research program.

Banach Tarski """""""""""paradox"""""""""""' you say?

Looks like benis :DDDD

>Multiple neutrons of different velocity all occupy the same point without touching each other, like how EM waves can occupy the same point in space without interfering with each other
Holy fuck

No, that's just the diet and lack of excercise

Yeah man

Scientists say apes evolved over millions of years into humans. An ape can't live that long

i know right! a real scientific mindfuck xD xD xD

>haha lol if I have a thing made of infinitely many infinitely little things, I can make infinitely many things out of it because it is infinite infinitely infinite infiihihihihijijihihihijhue
Really activates my almonds

You dont understand the paradox at all...

what would life be like on earth if the earth rotated that fast?

there wouldn't be life

Indeed, it is not really a paradox, but rather a clear-cut truth.

assume there was life somehow, or we colonize a planet moving that fast

don't think about the complications, just how things would look and feel

it would look and feel like you were dead

your genius is showing

>don't think about the fact that you wouldn't exist long before you came anywhere near that thing, let alone land on it
OK
>just how things would look and feel
disregarding the retarded gravity, the thing rotates 700 times a second, you wouldn't even know what the fuck is going on in the sky, and no, you wouldn't fly off

It looks kind of like a penis. Is that the joke?

Assuming our eyes saw the same frequencies at roughly the same "framerate", the stars would smear together and would be blue shifted in the direction of rotation. There would be a big rainbow in the sky all the time, or have I read too much Niven?

>taking the bait this hard

Nope, that would be you.

forgot I was talking about landing on the fucking star in question
nah, im saying a planet.

>disregarding the retarded gravity, the thing rotates 700 times a second, you wouldn't even know what the fuck is going on in the sky, and no, you wouldn't fly off

alright, there is somewhat of an answer.

shit, its just something to think about.
People THINK about what it would be like to enter a black hole even though you would be dead. They still discuss the physics of what would happen to your body even though you would die. I came to the fucking conclusion of death instantly, but do you still not think of it beyond that point, or is it not worth the energy of your 280IQ level?

Instantly means two different things when there are two different reference frames. What's probably inside a black hole is a bunch of fire and hot stuff, so yeah you'd probably die.

Ok, what would it be like from both reference frames?

Wasn't asking about black holes.
This is the types of responses I was looking for

nice, haha

I would be happier if I made you realize how beautiful is to understand the mechanics of such object.

The first two sentences in your post wouldn't be there.
You will never see a planet spinning that fast, because a neutron star is not an object that can form by collecting clumps of space dust.
It's a core of a dead star that collapsed under its own weight, not quite enough to form a black hole, but hard enough to deform matter into a bizarre state unlike anything else we know. It's spinning that fast, because it has retained its original rotation speed of a star core which was thousands of miles across, now just several dozen miles wide. It's the densest form of matter in the universe, building blocks of atoms crushed together and held there by the sheer force of gravity.

I legitimately laughed at this what is wrong with me?

Yes, I knew what a neutron star was. But yes, it is a very bizarre or "beautiful" object. Well explained though.

Do people on sci not like to just discuss thoughts on shit, hypotheticals even?
At least one user thought about what light would look like spinning that fast. I guess that's as good as it gets.

This shit thread is more about how people envy and fear " The African Continent and it's Natives " than anything else. I has nothing to do with Science nor Math. Everything to do with Hate and envy from inferior genes.

This graph spooked me the first time I saw it.

>discussion of neutron stars is actually about Africans

Not everything is about you, Tyrone.

fuking kek

Charged microparticles (dust) suspended in a plasma will self-organize into clouds and crystals in the presence of a strong gravitational field. These systems are well-understood and well-modeled.

Take the exact same system and put it in microgravity (like on the space station) and a giant void appears in the middle of the plasma.

After two decades of research we still have no fucking idea why. Every single, reasonable, sensible explanation has turned out to be completely wrong.

epic...

jeez that's cool as fuck.
do you have the equation?

It's probably just Abs(x) Cos(x)

Explain?

>inb4 brainlet lol hahaha

Yes actually. It was canonized in Stone Ocean.
Exactly why MiH was able to move during stopped time

>What is your #1 scientific mindfuck, Veeky Forums?
Right now, if you close your fist, you've just "caught" around 3 particles of dark matter. It's all around up be don't know what it is and don't even know how to detect it. Scientists have been searching for it for a while and we've narrowed down energies of where it could be by huge chinks and yet we still don't know if we'll ever find it.

[math]x\cos(\frac{1}{x}) [/math]

Yeah but you can't travel at .999c because that's 1c and you can't travel at the speed of light dummy

>Observation effects outcome in quantum mechanics
>The universe literally is random

>Doing a physical perturbation as measuring perturbates the system

wOw so spooky :^)

(((JEWTRONS)))

Holy shit, so many stupid fucks who litteraly know NOTHING about science, this entire section is pure disgrace.

My god

welcome to Veeky Forums

The density. A neutron star the size of a matchbox weighs 300,000,000,000 tonnes

This one is actually pretty cool