What are some novels that strike a good balance between being plot and character centric while being literary?

What are some novels that strike a good balance between being plot and character centric while being literary?

I'm basically looking for the literary equivalents of True Detective season 1 and The Sopranos.

Bump

Monitoring this thread because I am also interested. BTW OP do you recommend me watching sopranos?

Yes. Tony is the most intriguing character I've come across on television and if you have a basic understanding of Freud and existentialism it's even more enjoyable.

Bumping for interest

Donna Tartt, maybe.

I never watched True Detective, nor The Sopranos, but I think The Secret History may work for you.

I'm intrigued, but isn't The Goldfinch trash?

Yes, the Sopranos is the best TV show ever made, the writing is superb.

Agree. There's never been a better written character than Tony.

Bump

Watch the young pope then look for the literary equivalent of that.

Which would be?

It's shit mate; you've blown it for sure

There's absolutely nothing shit about it.

>Agree. There's never been a better written character than Tony.

Yes, yes, well done Sopranos, well done Sopranos

HOWEVER

james ellroy

He's close. Deadwood in general is probably the only thing on Sopranos' level.

> COCK SUCKER COCK SUCKER COCK SUCKER

wow
such shakespeare

it's not trash. it's not great but it's not trash. basically the best character in the story is missing for half the same thing and the ending is very obviously half-assed but I think it's worth reading. p.s. her first book is one of my faves imo

>plot
>character
>literary
Literary is more elusive than your moving picture stories user. You'd have to go way way back for this. Shakespeare? Even he's a bit
>plot
Though.

Interesting. The Secret History is the only one of hers that I've read, but I didn't know it was her first. I really enjoyed it.

What is literary beyond those two things? Theme?

Tartt is Amy Tan tier. This is just below Ann Patchett tier.

Oh LOL hey grandad. If anything it's objects/perspective/aspect that drives literary stuff in the last century. Themes is memes.

;_; I'm a simple man, explain

You've clearly not read Shakespeare

The outside world is typically intractable, it doesn't bend to fit plot or ideas or characters or themes or whatever. The focus is more on objects and how they're viewed. It's a bit like Rushmore or The Big Lebowski.

The closest sort of thing to what you want would be a story with an Unreliable Narrator such as Black Boy or Lolita. They typically try to construct a narrative and try to bend the world to their story, altgough on some level this fails which shows them to be unreliable.