Did Joyce suffer?

Did Joyce suffer?

Via his teeth, yes

Define suffer?

Not really, not a all by an Irish standard at the time, he could of been a rural farmer living as a peasant, he couldn't been shipped off to the western front. His family had money which the father ultimately squandered

He even managed to befriend Ezra Pound, whixh ulitmaley led to him becoming published. Not an easy life by today's standards by he had the chance to go play fuck abouts in Paris as opposed to being in the work house

Yeah, from blindness, and from slowly forgetting how to write a novel.

I mean suffer in an emotional way. I've read some of Ulysses and someone who writes like that had to have suffered in his life. I read some of his biography on Wikipedia and it says he refused to kneel for his mother while she lay dying. That must have deeply affected him, to the point where it says he was an alcoholic and drank heavily. Did his mother's death weigh heavily on him? It feels like the first part of Ulysses is autobiographical on this moment of Joyce's life. I quote (and this is perhaps one of my favorite quotes):

Pain, that was not yet the pain of love, fretted his heart. Silently, in a dream she had come to him after her death, her wasted body within its loose brown graveclothes giving off an odour of wax and rosewood, her breath, that had bent upon him, mute, reproachful, a faint odour of wetted ashes. Across the threadbare cuffedge he saw the sea hailed as a great sweet mother by the wellfed voice beside him. The ring of bay and skyline held a dull green of mass liquid. A bowl of white china had stood beside her deathbed holding the green sluggish bile which she had torn up from her rotting liver by fits of loud groaning vomiting.

This passage feels so vivid and emotional that it really makes me believe Joyce suffered greatly over this and thought deeply over his mother's death. This has to be autobiographical. Mulligan even taunts Dedalus for not kneeling down:

You could have knelt down, damn it, Kinch, when your dying mother asked you.

Eh, author's intent and bio is meaningless.

But he was Irish. Of course he suffered.

>define X

found the retard who thinks he is smart, you're the worst type of retard

>I mean suffer in an emotional way. I've read some of Ulysses and someone who writes like that had to have suffered in his life. I read some of his biography on Wikipedia and it says he refused to kneel for his mother while she lay dying. That must have deeply affected him, to the point where it says he was an alcoholic and drank heavily. Did his mother's death weigh heavily on him? It feels like the first part of Ulysses is autobiographical on this moment of Joyce's life. I quote (and this is perhaps one of my favorite quotes):
You're weird. Leave Joyce's ghost and sufferings alone.

Sigh

The phrase suffering is completly subjective and very ambiguous. Just wanted a bit of clarity, I literally just misinterpreted what he meant

Considering killing yourself you faggot

>could of

handicap

Why are you even here? So fucking retarded.
Back to 9gag please

>doesn't know what suffering means
>doesn't know what subjective means
>doesn't know what ambiguous means

>i swear I am not le redditor xD

>he skipped portrait

Everyone suffers

Everyone suffers. It is the nature of life.

Explain

You're an imbecile

Yes, sillies, everyone suffers but not everyone is Joyce. I want to know what his personal sufferings were. Not as a way of being nosy or invasive, but to be able to relate to him knowing that he suffered and used that as motivation to write and produce these wondrous and spectacular works of art. I want to see what he went through.

That's odd because you asked a yes-or-no question.

Are you a person who answers a question and goes no further, or are you someone who answers a question and goes beyond it in the expectation of other questions?

You're the silly billy, motherfucker.

Excuse me?

fuck me i need to reread ulysses. nearly forgot that joyce is GOAT.

Yeah, from cretinism.

We all do