Why all the hype about this lump of rust?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4eUibFQKJqI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First differential geared mechanism

It's a computer dating back to Antiquity.

And a portable one. Imagine if they built building sized things like that.

probably a clock used on sailing vessels about 12000 years ago. Would explain why the had maps with good relative longitude.

Anybody else skeptical of this thing? Yes, it's very interesting. But some of the conclusions about what it's capable of seem grossly exaggerated.

I remember that CT study from a couple of years ago where they had a 3D computer reconstruction based on CT. I couldn't see much of what they said they could see in those CTs

It's not a clock. It's basically a small mechanical computer that gives you the position of the planets and the phases of the moons.

Here's a model of the mechanism.

youtube.com/watch?v=4eUibFQKJqI

does this prove that there were technologically advanced civilizations in the past that we know nothing about?

I don't see how it proves that, since we know about the civilization that produced this one.

No.

It was made in greece and it was getting it taken to the roman empire.

but there are no versions of this that predate it right? how could something so complex just pop up in greece

Yes

It's more likely that other devices of its kind were made by Greeks but were lost to history than to stipulate that some unknown civilization built them. You should always seek the simplest explanation, not the most sensational.

ok Ill bite whats the pseudo-science around this?

e know the Greeks had all sorts of mechanical devices -- contraptions to perform temple "miracles" were a growth industry.

Almost none survived because metal tends to get recycled or to weather away. This one survived because it got encased in ocean deposits and such quickly, and was not where metal scavengers could get at it.

The device did not "just pop up." It is part of a series of clever artifacts produced by clever artificers.

Also, do not let the word "computer" as applied to this confuse and mislead you.

literally nothing

read this and you might understand
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

>every time i see this image

>he doesn't know

>tfw the hwan will never pay for their sins
THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT.

>King Wewuz I
kek

cool

>he doesn't know basic history
lmao gtfo brainlet