Pic related

ok let me just guess what book that is

*closes tab*

>favorite book

>>>>r/YA/

Why?

Post her channel please

Is this her reviewing Lolita?

Why would I post a 1 star review if it's my favourite?

your favorite book is trash

this is a woman/'normie' hate thread

The reviewer isn't helping.
It's barely a review, anyway.

My favourite books are usually modernist works so all the 1 star reviews are people complaining that nothing happens

>Having personalized shelves on goodreads for books you hate

Oh to be that autistic
>psico man
How do they not develop some command of the English language when they read as much trash as they xo

life is a woman/normie hate thread, when you have a soul

>ywn fuck more charming malapropisms out of Ana

>Stream of consciousness writing is fucking crap, for which I have absolutely no patience. I hate Freud. I hate his concept of "consciousness", so "stream of consciousness" bullshit based on that would be something I'd hate, too. Long sentences, barely comprehensible.

This is what happens when people read books for Ideology points instead of enjoyment.

As for the second quote, she's a beaner, cut her some slack.
t. beaner

I really wonder what books she likes Mishima-Chan for if this one's disgusting and sickening. Are those not his middle names?

>Not only did I disagree with Hobbes' conclusions, I find his assumptions (his arguments based entirely in Christian perspective) essentially worthless. The only value this tract served to me is to "know thy enemy". This is a classic example of mental circus tricks being used to justify the march of Christian dominance across the globe. I can't think of any written text that I despise more, except perhaps Mein Kempf.

>Hobbes is my least favorite philosopher. He embodies everything I despise in Western thought. If I met Hobbes in the street I would flash him my tits and then slap him in the face and call him a pervert.

>Mein Kempf

>Let me explain why I'd recommend this book to everyone: Plato is stupid.

>Seriously.

>And it's important that you all understand that Western society is based on the fallacy-ridden ramblings of an idiot. Read this, understand that he is not joking, and understand that Plato is well and truly fucked in the head.

>Every single one of his works goes like this:

>SOCRATES: "Hello, I will now prove this theory!"
>STRAWMAN: "Surely you are wrong!"
>SOCRATES: "Nonsense. Listen, Strawman: can we agree to the following wildly presumptive statement that is at the core of my argument?" {Insert wildly presumptive statement here— this time, it's "There is such a thing as Perfect Justice" and "There is such a thing as Perfect Beauty", among others.}
>STRAWMAN: "Yes, of course, that is obvious."
>SOCRATES: "Good! Now that we have conveniently skipped over all of the logically-necessary debate, because my off-the-wall crazy ideas surely wouldn't stand up to any real scrutiny, let me tell you an intolerably long hypothetical story."
>{Insert intolerably long hypothetical story.}
>STRAWMAN: "My God, Socrates! You have completely won me over! That is brilliant! Your woefully simplistic theories should become the basis for future Western civilization! That would be great!"
>SOCRATES: "Ha ha! My simple rhetorical device has duped them all! I will now go celebrate by drinking hemlock and scoring a cameo in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure!"

>The moral of the story is: Plato is stupid.

this has to be autism

hmmm

>"I couldn't understand the deepest thinker Western civilization ever had and the method he uses, hence he is an idiot"

What is this, sounds right up my alley.

The Death of Virgil? Ulysses is more likely though.

She looks like a poor man's Elisabeth Moss.

Probably a better advertisement that the positive reviews. It's At Swim, Two Boys.

>someone was able to read Book of the New Sun and conclude that the book was trying to say "torturers are the good guys"

Same.

>reading a play is not how it should be consumed
>instead, you should watch the play and all the dialogue should be "translations"

not my favorite book but a damn good one

To the Lighthouse

Looks like I was giving them too much credit.

2edgy4Proust

based
imagine them with their wikipedia list of fallacies open yelling at their books

so if she hate proust but loved tolstoy should i avoid tolstoy? cuz proust goes hard

>I regreat picking up this book to read
>I regreat
wut

in ur heart u kno its tru tho

>Blood Meridian is a story about … ummmmm … urrrrrrrr … I don’t know what this story is about.

sold! i'm def reading BM this year!

>people who love looking down their noses at othes and saying "you dont get it" will absolutely love this
>book is generally liked by lit
interesting

this desu

>Anne Karenine

holy goodness fuck that virtue signalling
>I HATE NAZIS AND CHRISTIANS I'M PROGRESSIVE

Why do these people do this to themselves? Are they happier for it?

nah

>mishima

>>

>forced to read it for class
>read the text online, specifically mentions they didnt have any annotations/notes
>Elizabethan English is hard :(
>doesnt use imagination in lieu of theatric performance
>I hate Shakespeare

Highschooler Reads Macbeth Starter Pack

The amount of "muh womanz" reviews on the BOTNS goodreads page is infuriating.

>What's weird and very unfortunate is that I did not enjoy reading this book ...

>I think it was partly due to the fact that I had such high expectation for it since I have great interest in Greek literature... but this book was just too impersonal...

>I mean I liked - at times - a few characters (gods and mortals) but most times; I just hated everyone and they all seemed inhumane and I felt like they didn't deserve most of the honor and glory they've come to acquire...

>Once more; this is just my point of view and feelings.

>I haven't been this disappointed from a book in a while and it sucks. I don't know if I'll ever pick up the Odyssey.... not anytime soon that's for sure.

>Since I couldn't even push through this text. I forced myself to read it (it is a required reading for my literature class in university) but my thoughts were more interesting than the book. That's when I know I've lost complete interest and involvement towards a book.

>I know the whole point of this 'retailing' was the repetition of actions and what not but ohhhhhhhhhh my just get on with it. So he spoke this and so he spoke that. So he killed him and so killed him and another him.

>Also, there was way too many names that weren't that 'key' to the story but literally did i great job at distracting me further... I mean yeah sure the Trojans and the Achaians are both equally big armies. Once again, please get over it. I'm also aware that there's a glossary with all the names but let's be honest no one refers to it frequently (because it'd be constantly) and names still remained confusing even after referral.

>Sigh. I liked the plot but it was just pretty simple: men at war, passing around 'booties' as prize, and having the Gods involved in all of their businesses.... No peace. Just chaos. And lots of deaths.

>This review is so scrambled but hey scrambled eggs are better than none...?

actually made me mad

To be fair. BotNS is an extremely geeky book that requires you read for more than half it's length before having any real payoff.

He's right you know

> I tried sixty-nine pages for the purposes of the Group Read (a Group Read of Gravity’s Rainbow on Goodreads—a GR of GR on GR, or GR3) but tentatively closed the novel thenceforth. My first thought (I am an intellectual) was WTF?! This has over twenty five-star ratings on the first page?! Then I had to concede I simply don’t like Pynchon’s writing style, period. William raised this point in his review of The Tunnel—you’re helpless against an author’s crystalline prose if you simply can’t stomach his particular talent for arranging squiggles. My problem with the first sixty-nine pages? I found his style awkwardly literary, stuffed with showboating passages of verbose insulation (as though caulking the enormous fucker)—I felt the style basically worked against the efficiency of the sentences, i.e. he seems to be taking unnecessarily circuitous routes to describe whatever acronym-riddled antics were happening (as far as I could make out, sub-Catch-22 shenanigans mixed with equally dated black humour) so the reader has to unpeel each little Pychonian prawn as though inside lies some twinkling epithet of significance. Also, the point of view shifts from the ice-cold third-person narrator to the internal states of the dozen or so interchangeable characters with equally stupid names for no particular reason I could fathom for those sixty-nine pages. I was impressed by various passages but I couldn’t commit to another 834 pages . . . there simply wasn’t enough cohering for me in the style, and books that warm up around page 467 are not my bag. I tried The Crying of Lot 49 earlier this year and found the dude such a postmodern relic. I mean, Foster Wallace can do this standing on his head but also offers a devastating emotional wallop into the bargain. William H. Gass writes funnier bawdy limericks and songs too. Anyway. I’m sure he’s brilliant but I really don’t care, I have other boyfriends.

>Worst book I've ever had the misfortune to pick up. My dad warned me that this book was lower on the evolution scale than a wet turd, but I thought I'd try it anyway. I hated this with every fibre in my body and with any luck the book will just crawl away and die.

>The characters were obnoxious, moronic gits who I hoped would all die at the hands of Jason Vorhees very soon and there was no way I'd ever connect with that idiot who was meant to be our beloved hero. The dialogue was incomprehensible crap that was pointless and baffling, and you are left wondering what the hell they are gibbering about and why each scene was even written! What the hell is the purpose in talking complete shite page after page with no meaning or sense to it??? I couldn't see the point in the story at all and it was with a sense of joy that I threw the book into the bag marked 'charity shop'-then I found myself wondering what the poor charity shop had ever done to me to deserve receiving that book...How the hell this ever became a classic is a complete mystery to me. A classic piece of excrement perhaps.

>I know plenty people love it and I'm happy for you, but it's just not for me I'm afraid!

Catch-22

What is it about Heart of Darkness that triggers women so hard?

>I have to admit to cheating a bit on this one. I only read about 30 pages and although the style is intriguing some of the content I found a bit too visceral. Having read Sade and more recently American Psycho I didn't feel I could face more blood and guts so when this started talking about ripping a child's chest and drinking the blood I decided not to put myself through any more. No doubt the human psyche is full of violent thoughts and instincts but I find vivid descriptions of blood lust quite disturbing and upsetting. Otherwise I would have been more than willing to try to cope with the surrealistic style which may well be beautiful in parts.

Les Chants de Maldoror

btw I find those people with 8000+ books read somewhat hard to believe.

They are right though. Catch-22 is an awful book.

A dead white guy who a living black guy called racist wrote it.

>I hate the charecter with all my forces
>he is just a... psico men
>very very descrite
>I regreat
Holy... I want more...

He's write tho.

reviewing a book by YA standards.

90% of the 1 star reviews for 'sailor who fell from grace' are complaints about how gross the cat killing scene is. Never mind the fact a gang of adolescents murder an adult

So, I don't even read high literature. I just saw this thread on the front page, but I have to ask. Do they seriously not teach cultural relativism in college?

I assume most of these women are sociology or philosophy majors and yet they don't understand that a work must be taken within the context of the time it was written and not be judged by the standards of modern society.

She seems to imply that she literally never reads short stories, which explains a lot.

Why the fuck would you mention Joyce and Welsh in the same sentence. I am triggered

his critique is so dumb that this genuinely makes me want to read mccarthy now. I disdain grammmar and plot

Maybe what you're being 'told' isn't the real meaning? Jesus fuck oh my shut up

She's not wrong about sex and Character being trash

The murder isn't actually described though

Just because of their fondness for regional dialect.

Used to be one of them; you're not happier for it on the whole, you're constantly miserable but for brief bright spots when someone recognizes your virtue signaling as virtuous, and more frequent spots when you can delight in the suffering of your 'bigoted' enemies. The only highs you feel come from masochism and schadenfreude.

I "regreat" clicking on this thread. Now I'm full of ragea.

How does a person like this live a full day without killing themselves

How can a person who isn't able to properly formulate a one-paragraph review have a YouTube channel with the purpose of professional book reviews? Bitch can't type "psycho" correctly.

If she can do it, I can.

I agree with her.

Goodreads is a pit of insufferable tasteless normies who think Twilight is better than War and Piece.

/ourgirl/

What book is this

Camp of the Saints

Does the reviewer fairly represent the book as staunchly anti-immigration or is it just indignated exaggeration?

Is it that hard for liberals to cast aside their prejudice before reading a book?

Yea, the book is all about how a wave of immigration from the third world overflows Europe and how everyone is too anti-racist to do anything about it. It's well written, but whether you think it's a racist screed or a eerily accurate prophecy of the current migrant crisis will depend on your political views.

>im mentally challenged
>hence Illiad sucked

Tried to make it obscure. There aren't any funny 1-star reviews of this book. Just tired (mostly overblown) cultural criticisms.

People in general do find it hard. I think it's clear most of us on Veeky Forums struggle to leave politics at the door as well.

BASED
A
S
E
D