What does Veeky Forums think about the... Hyperloop

What does Veeky Forums think about the... Hyperloop.

Other urls found in this thread:

thesun.co.uk/tech/3582522/britain-may-be-first-in-europe-to-get-500mph-hyperloop-one-train-find-out-if-your-city-is-in-the-running/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Absolute bullshit.

If it works well, a money making machine.
If it doesn't work, a crime against humanity

civil engineer here...

building the track for this thing to run on would be an absolute nightmare costing a mind staggering amount of money, assuming you could even get the route permitted over the objections of every single land owner between start and finish.

Always reminds me of that scene in Brazil.

Not doubting you but if you pitched the idea of railways before we had them 90% of civil engineers would've said it's logistically impossible.

the difference is that back when they were building the majority of all the railways in this country the land along the routes was either owned by the government or extremely cheap to buy. Totally different situation now because every square foot is owned by someone who will try to cash in and obstruct your plan.

Railways were built outside America in places with decent population density like Germany and India too. Nevermind England.

That's clearly not true, otherwise they wouldn't have been built in the first place. But ignoring that I think you're missing out on an important point, that is: railways during the industrial revolution made a lot of sense economically. Hyperloop doesn't.

Also, those supports inside those thin metal tubes in that desert, aren't cheap.
Not to mention dangerous if somebody wants to put a big hole in that vacuum make everyone inside is going to be either squashed with metal, or risk being shot out of the vacuum almost at the speed of a damn bullet; which by the way is deadly if you're in urban areas.

even if you can acquire all the land on the route you still have to engineer and build the whole thing. A pressurized tube of what is presumably steel reinforced concrete and mount the whole thing on a foundations system capable of assuring nearly zero differential motion over literally hundreds if not thousands of miles of different terrain.

It is absolutely possible. But it would be mind numbingly expensive and orders of magnitude more technical exacting than "rail roads".

shit idea, even if you sink lots of money into getting 1 instance working we should be looking at fast, robust and cheap methods of transport. Not a retarded meme.

This has applications for colony transports and underground systems.

>colony transports
What?

Just make faster planes already.

> Hyperloop.

More like hyperpoop

It's a fucking joke, even Musk is realizing that now and he's slowly moving to the boring company instead of hyperloop.

Trying to get a volume of this size to a near vacuum is gonna take weeks if not months.
It's also dangerous as fuck.

I think I'd rather fly on a spaceplane for intercontinental flight than board the hyperloop.

Are pajeets working on it?

It is certainly not easy to achieve, hence all the naysayers throwing poop around.
But there is no physical showstopper.
The main obstacles that need to be overcome are the building cost for the tunnels and political bullshit.
Other than that - it is just a maglev in a tube.

About as dangerous as crashing a bullet train at 300kph?
About as dangerous as splashing into the ocean with an airliner?

No, much more.

Expensive
Unfathomably Impractical
Needlessly dangerous

thesun.co.uk/tech/3582522/britain-may-be-first-in-europe-to-get-500mph-hyperloop-one-train-find-out-if-your-city-is-in-the-running/
Don't you think it's worth testing out in india, though?

No, about as dangerous as crashing two spacecraft orbiting the moon into each-other, one in a retrograde orbit.

That turbine on the front takes in air right? Where does it go?

HYPErloop
The name is actually appropriate

Concord 2.0

That turbine is just concept art. How the trains are going to be propelled is not even clear at this point.
Maglev is the most likely option.

>It is certainly not easy to achieve, hence all the naysayers throwing poop around.
>But there is no physical showstopper.
Not easy and not physically impossible can be applied to a lot of things we are definitely not going to do, like a bridge in the ocean between continents.

The hyperloop is in a vaccuum... there should be no air for it to take it, I'm not sure why the picture looks like that but there should be no air resistance

Every single Elon Musk thread: it's either:

"What? This shit has already been done"

"What? This shit is impossible!"

Neither you or I are under any obligation to buy into that pessimistic mindset.

Muskfags claim every one of his delusional ideas is for the future mars colony.

ah damn... if only our technical and economic capabilities had grown in the last 2 centuries...

>assuming you could even get the route permitted over the objections of every single land owner between start and finish.

The government always gets what it wants, via eminent domain. So, that isn't a problem really.

>doesn't understand we cant even mainting the crumbling freeway/bridge infrastructure that got built in the 50s let alone get it together to do any kind of large civil infrastructure projects in the last 30 years.

It's not that I don't think it would be cool, hell I would love to do work on the project, problem is that there just isn't that kind of money coming out of the federal government for civil infrastructure projects.

I think they should slash the military budget by 80% and put the remainder into overhauling American infrastructure and kicking the space program into high gear.

That, though, will never happen because politics.

fake and gay.

>eminent domain
a legal process that can take decades to grind through courts

>retrograde orbit
what is backwards orbit? do you care to elaborate

You don't know shit about how it works. It doesn't even use a track.

Those places aren't free countries and it is significantly easier and cheaper for the government to just take shit.

>Musk is realizing that now
>now
If he had ever thought any different he would have tried to monetize it instead of just shitposting a pipedream.

tell that to California and their HSR. Sure, they're progressing, but stealing the land has been an expensive and lengthy process, one they haven't even attempted in areas where residents have enough capital to stop them.