Audiophiles

Why do guitar players believe that the different materials, mass, body shape, finishing on the wood, and other insignificant things used on an electric guitar influences its sound more than the electronics used or the technique of the player or just how the guitar is set up?

If you take the strings off of a guitar and make the body vibrate while plugged in, you get no sound because they are not microphonic. If you put the guitar against a large piece of wooden furniture and play, these people's logic would imply the guitar would sound louder or just different, but it would do nothing to the sound. How you hold the guitar would change the sound of it if these idiots were correct.

How are people so easily hooked on to these beliefs? It's clearly the guitar industry trying to make people believe this pseudoscience so they can say that's why a guitar is better than another and increase the price significantly.

These people think that they can hear between guitars based on the wood finish. That's literally audiophile-tier idiocy. You can find videos on YouTube of people who made guitars with cement bodies that sound perfectly fine.

I just don't understand the stupidity of such a large group of people.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5F2SHlfB8YE
youtube.com/watch?v=tgbgUMqUMns
ccrma.stanford.edu/marl/Coltman/documents/Coltman-1.06.pdf
amazon.com/ToneRite®-TR-GR03-ToneRite-for-Guitar/dp/B004BA83ZO
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The shape, density etc. of the different parts of the guitar determine the output of the electric guitar, the body absorbs the energy before it's transmitted.

Do you think you can throw the innards of an Electric Guitar onto a toilet and sound the same?

>>If you take the strings off of a guitar and make the body vibrate while plugged in, you get no sound

..?

Electric Guitars work by amplifying the changing EM field caused by the string vibrating in that field.
If there is no string vibrating, there is no change.
The materials of the guitar change the way the string vibrates and any change in the way the string vibrates changes the sound of the guitar.

That is why Gibsons sound different than Fenders.

The electronics play an important part, but without the unique vibration of the string, you end up with a synthesizer and a manufactured sound, not a guitar.

replace the wood with styofoam retard

You're looking at two totally different instruments and you are implying that the wood is the factor that changes the sound on an instrument that has a different scale length,uses different kind of pickups, different electronic schematic...

And the wood is what you believe is The Game Changer in that.

That's how stupid you are.

>That's how stupid you are.
This is Veeky Forums, when we put people down for being stupid we do it in less hostile ways, using words like "dummy" or "dingus". Stupid is unnecessarily aggressive, and is better suited for places like /b/ or /pol/. Please adapt or leave.

Salty guitarded audiophile spotted.

I love how you ignore a dozen constituents to the sound that are actually scientifically known and measurable just so you can focus on the fucking wood as if it has any effect. It doesn't and you are literally buying snake oil with these expensive finishes, one piece exotic woods, and whatever other crap you have bought into.

Have you ever noticed how it always seems to cost a lot of money to make a guitar """better"""? I wonder why! :^)

>because it's snake oil

Guitars are less about sound and more about image. Generic wood sounds less special than "handcrafted by goblin midget mongolian from dragondildowood grown in caverns below the arctic". Since it's mostly marketing of course there will be all kinds of retarded things being thrown around and taken seriously.

You have no way to show that what you said is true in any way, where I can show you this

youtube.com/watch?v=5F2SHlfB8YE

and, not quite a toilet, but I think serves my argument. Nobody in the comments can agree on which is wood and which is cement. If it mattered, you'd think it'd be very obvious, but it isn't because it doesn't matter. The change in the sound had to do with them being different guitars with different strings, different tensions, pickup placement, set up, and electronics.

>his instrument of choice is guitar

>he got laid as a teenager

I have a 50 year old cheap epiphone, it's a 200 dollar guitar today, and the hard brittle wood makes it sharper than any 1000 dollar taylor. Expensive acoustics feel solid and play nicely but they sound just like any other guitar to me.

oh so you've heard the new Rhapsody record?

the maple vs rosewood neck does sound different especially on fretless since that is what the strings are vibrating against

even going to a music shops and playing factory spec MIA guitars or basses until you get kicked out for being a looky lou would tell you this

Material actually does make a big difference in acoustic guitars. Less so on electric, but electric has other components that matter more like pickups.

If you think this one video of a decent sounding concrete electric guitar is so earth shattering, why not make it your lifes work to convert the musicians of the world to your more easily manufactured solution? It should be easy considering everything they know about about guitar tone is nonsense according to you.

Do you play music yourself?

I do and I'm better than you so please don't start swinging your dick

and besides just the guitar itself, you have to factor in other things like the amp (probably the biggest factor in determining tone) and any sort of processing or effects you run it thru. even the room you play in affects things.

idk. as a guitar player i've just kinda stopped worrying about all the gazillion factors that go into what shit sounds like. you'll drive yourself nuts. i just start with something that looks cool and is comfy to play and work from there.

You don't know the first thing of a guitar obviously.
It begins with tuning the instrument. Even before that actually. It begins with the material of the guitar adapting to the environment in which it would be played.
Strings put a lot of tension on the material.
Also handling / playing it gives notable variations on the tuning of the instrument.
Then there is the sensitivity of the pickups, the roughness of the frets, the elasticity of the strings. All of which can make for huge differences once amplified.

So, yes, overall quality / sound differs a lot between different guitars, as for any instrument which is about the be played to sound fantastic.

The mass, shape, and material affect the sounds of acoustic guitars but electrics dont need the same amount of complexity because the output of the sound on electrics is usually only a factor of the shape.

The idea that you're presenting audio in a YouTube video as "proof" for your argument is laughable at best. It's also telling that you can't post any other legitimate source (like a peer reviewed scientific study) to back up your claim.

Because that's all you have, an ignorant claim. Nothing more.

You hold the burden of proof to show that it it affects tone at all, so far having shown none.

Not only musicians hear the difference, even when a fan hears the known artist play his favorite guitarsolo on a different guitar, he can here it. Our hearing is very well trained. Just like you can hear the different in voice of your mom or one of her other triplet sisters.

Next time, discuss something you actually have experience with. Music ain't it for you. Never the less, pease out.

So you agree with the OP...

Lmao, what a retarded reason. Nobody is talking about different guitar you dumb nigger.

I have been playing for years on many different guitars. Just go to a guitar store and test yourself.
Use no distortion, and only the same amp of course. You can hear it very easy.

>pease out

because they use different electronics and set ups

Otherwise no.

The opposite. But I am a musician.
But if you CAN play really good, any guitar will do. Does not take away there is a big difference in sound.
But a master chefcook can make a perfect dish in a trailerhouse kitchen. Skills do matter. Lesser skills demand better gear.

The electronics don't generate the sound, the manipulate the input. So different input, how ever small, will have different output, not in the least due amplification.

Um...no. You made a claim, the burden of proof is on you. lol, or do you not know how burden of proof works either?

But I'll destroy your argument with a couple of real quick points here, just for fun.

Two things: sustain and how well an electric guitar stays in tune.

Fact: a dense wooden neck will stay in tune and cause a string to sustain longer than a less dense neck will. This is because it rejects more of the energy from a vibrating string and allows the string to vibrate longer. A less dense neck will absorb more of the strings energy and the note will die sooner.

Fact: A stiff, dense neck will also resist the pull of the strings and result in a more stable tuning than a less dense neck will.

This is basic physics, only an ignorant sod would claim the wood an electric guitar is made out of has NO affect on the guitars overall sound. Unless you don't consider sustain and tuning stability to be an integral part of an electric guitars overall sound. You'd be objectively wrong and everyone could just go ahead and have a hearty laugh at your expense if that's the case.

Bottom line: the wood an electric guitar is made of affects the way an electric guitar sounds. End of discussion.

If that were true, guitars with the same pickups/strings would sound exactly the same. WAY wrong.

In fact, the exact same instrument with swapped electronics would be far less of a difference than different instruments with the same electronics.

You struggle to find proof because this is plainly obvious to everyone who has picked up an electric instrument in their life in the past century you imbecile.

none of those are facts lmao are you even in STEM? Did you come from another board? Nobody actually majoring in physics would agree with this

Most musicians are shit at science, superstitious types. You could probably demonstrate a huge placebo effect by giving them superficially different guitars to play and ask them how they think it sounds

I am making no claim. You are claiming that different woods and such make a guitar sound different, so post proof of that or kindly shove it up your ass you nut job.

Not so bright afterall. Experience goes a long way. Do you even real life?

>n-nuh uh
Hilarious.
>You are claiming that different woods and such make a guitar sound different, so post proof of that
I just did. It would be physically impossible for two wooden electric guitars to sound the same. Now please provide some proof of your claim.

>posting physics """facts""" on a science board and hoping nobody would notice
Musicians are fucking retarded.

source?

If Veeky Forums proves things the way you think things are proven, it would be called /x/. Fuck off back to whatever low I board you came from.

See, now the problem is you can't legitimately refute those facts so now you're trying to evade the substance of the argument in attempt to save face.

It won't work but you cant keep trying all you want, I guess. It's pathetic, but whatever.

>I just did.
No, you didn't.

Finally start to realize being STEM is less helpful to understand and communicate with normal / popular people?

Go read formulas, lone ranger.

It's very easily refutable. A cement or metal guitar would be infinitely better than any wooden guitar if what you're saying was true. It's like you don't even understand what you're arguing.

see >and around and around we go

Please provide some legitimate proof of your claim.

It's not helpful when you have to talk to morons like you who pretend to know physics. Wood is not even close in density to the dense materials that could be used but apparently aren't in guitars. This is because you are wrong. You can't bullshit on the science board, maybe on your subjective moron board.

>metal guitar would be infinitely better than any wooden guitar if what you're saying was true.
Exactly.

You just admitted defeat.

Fact: metal necked electric guitars sound startlingly different than wooden necked ones do. Wooden electric guitars sound different than metal ones do. Wood makes a difference in an electric guitars sound.

All you've done in this thread is revealed yourself to be inexperienced and ignorant concerning the subject matter.

You don't know wood, strings or playing instruments. But of course to you music is not an art, can not be approached scientific. That's why you lose. Life is a combination of experiences. All you got is numbers. We have friends, fun, adventure and love.

>If you put the guitar against a large piece of wooden furniture and play, these people's logic would imply the guitar would sound louder or just different, but it would do nothing to the sound.

None of the pseudo scientists from /mu/ here will refuse this because they literally can't, because it invalidates their entire retarded belief. This WOULD change the sound if they were correct, but it doesn't.

No, you just aren't intelligent enough to see how wrong you are, legitimately ignorant of it.

You ask if any of us played guitar and how we stand on different wood for a guitar.
And we explained tuning, temperature relation, playability and vibration. You just don't get it. But you can not think, all you can do is learn facts. A monkey can do that trick... We can actually impress other by letting them enjoy our vision of art.

EE PhD here,

Electronics have acceptable variation of about 10% and that can easily account for whatever perceived change between guitars they think they're hearing. Physically impossible for the body or neck to interact with the magnets and metal strings afaik

hi op

You are attacking science because it doesn't agree with what you believe. Nobody cares, you're wrong and you have to accept that. I am physics 4th year and play the guitar. Tonewoods is a joke with a few of us who have been playing for a while, and yet we have nice guitars. You just sound like a pompous us vs. them idiot that is proud of how ignorant they are.

>Physically impossible for the body or neck to interact with the metal strings

>If you take the strings off of a guitar and make the body vibrate while plugged in, you get no sound because they are not microphonic
>so wood doesnt affect the strings' sound
fucking lol

You never played an decent guitarsolo in your life. You bent the guitar if you play, however small. There is wear the type of wood becomes important. After bending the flexibility of the wood influence the tuning of the strings. A heavy player would have to tune his guitar twice per song if the wood is of poor quality. Good quality wood helps to garantee that the guitar stays tuned for long periods of time even when playing on an outdoor stage.

youtube.com/watch?v=tgbgUMqUMns

Yep, can't see how physically the material, shape, or mass would affect the sound at all. Only contact points, so the material of the saddle and fret. And at that point it would only be whether or not it is hindering sustain, which it would- just depends on how much I guess. Polishing and lubricant would be the only legitimate way to combat that. The idea that anything else would matter is silly and not scientifically measurable AKA not real. I don't know why people believe this.

I sell guitars for a living and I can say for a fact that wood does affect tone.

>can't see how physically the material, shape, or mass would affect the sound at all.
Now you're just admitting you're dumb? Yikes.

Ok, then.

Fuck off nigger

I have played guitar for more than a decade and I feel safe in saying that tone vs material/gear discussions are for faggots just play shit you like or don't nobody gives a fuck about your opinions.

I feel like if we were talking about acoustics, this would be a lot easier to debate.

>Only contact points, so the material of the saddle and fret.

>The idea that anything else would matter is silly and not scientifically measurable AKA not real.
Yep, there it is. Called it way back when >Unless you don't consider sustain and tuning stability to be an integral part of an electric guitars overall sound. You'd be objectively wrong and everyone could just go ahead and have a hearty laugh at your expense if that's the case.

Resorting to name calling? I'm out; not wasting my time.

Sure you are. 4th year? You must be all wise then. And you play guitar too? You must be a bad guitarist not hearing the obvious difference in tuning in a jamsession. And if you band does not pick it up, they also have not what it takes to be a good musician. You need to have good ears. But true, you can also feel the vibration of you instrument, that is, if you can pick up small differences to distinguish frequencies and synchronization, which you keep explaning you can't.
Don't worry. You find someone to have good sex with, if you make good money. You don't need music for that. Playing gigs do help for being wanted for lust by girl though. ..

cry harder bitch nerd lmao

wat

is the difference in sound between les pauls and SGs solely because of pickups spacing? the SG's thin body and lack of a maple top doesnt affect it?

They both have double humbuckers. That's the biggest factor, so they should sound pretty similar. The other differences obviously make small sound differences but they're tiny. Don't worry about it.

Body shape does effect play style, thus does it effects the overall sound. So does weight.

haha yes thats exactly why sgs sound like sgs haha

Oops, for you

Musicians are retarded in general, see this:
ccrma.stanford.edu/marl/Coltman/documents/Coltman-1.06.pdf

Due to the difference in acoustic impedance of the strings and wood, almost no energy pass to the body of the guitar, that means the strings and pickups are basically a closed system.

I've played guitar for almost two decades and all this bullshit has no relation to music at all, it's marketing schemes to get retards (most musicians) to buy whatever they want to sell.
Just look at this shit: amazon.com/ToneRite®-TR-GR03-ToneRite-for-Guitar/dp/B004BA83ZO

>almost no energy pass to the body of the guitar
lmao

Yeah retard, that explains why it you can feel it vibrating when you strum a chord. Wait, what? That vibration you feel isn't energy?

Shut the fuck up already.

>Shut the fuck up already.

>"Pls don't tell me I bought the snake oil!!!!"

>when you strum a chord and you can feel the body vibrating
>but the vibration can't be energy because almost no energy passes to the body of the guitar
Yep, that right.

Time for you to shut the fuck up.

The impedance is mismatched, Von Neumann. You don't even know the lingo which helps further the theory that you're not from Veeky Forums and your opinion has zero technical knowledge behind it and is therefore useless and will be automatically hidden.

It's funny you're still trying to argue a point which has been soundly gutted by multiple people in this thread including me.

When a string vibrates both the body and neck vibrate with it. The string does interact with the wood, period. It's physically impossible for the wood on an electric guitar to not have an affect on an electric guitars overall sound because of this fact.

That why you still don't have an argument.

Now shut the fuck up already.

Yes because people will take the word of people who buy snake oil over studies from Stanford.

>The impedance is mismatched
uh oh Veeky Forums. looks like we got ourselves a brainlet pulling out big boy words that he really doesn't understand

>studies from Stanford
Oh, how I invite you to post this peer reviewed study from Stanford that proves what you're claiming*!

I'll wait!

(*Pro-tip: you won't because it's a figment of your fucking imagination!)

See

>ccrma.stanford.edu/marl/Coltman/documents/Coltman-1.06.pdf
>effect of material on flute tone quality

Still waiting on the figment of your fucking imagination!

>>ccrma.stanford.edu/marl/Coltman/documents/Coltman-1.06.pdf
>No statistically significant correlation between the listeners' scores and the material of the instrument body was found.

>the role that the wall material plays in determining the tone quality of wind instruments
LMAO

Yeah that's a good way to admit you've been soundly defeated, start talking about wind instruments in the middle of an argument about stringed guitars! lol, do you play your guitar by blowing on it like a faggot?!? You know what... now that I think about it... yeah. Yeah, you probably do.

Keep replying though, dumbass. I'm having fun.

i know they sound similar, yet they have a well distinguished sonic difference. i didnt mean to say something that i didnt say.

Not a guitar player i guess

I did say almost, by that I meant it is a very small amount.

That was to show how musicians are retarded and you shouldn't take their opinions as facts.

christ on a cracker kiddo
air comes in contact with the body of woodwinds and air can transfer energy to them too. the process is fundamentally the same
you're really doing a bad job with this one

Oh, a very small amount? Is that right?
Is that anything like:
>basically a closed system
So in other words
>almost a closed system
>but not really
>so not really a closed system at all

I'd say it's more along the lines of you being retarded and people shouldn't be taking your opinion as fact.

roman go back to /gg/ where we know better than to respond to you

See I'm still waiting on that figment of your imagination!

roman, we get it, you're a big boy who can read now
that doesn't mean you can start posting on Veeky Forums

Are there carbon fiber guitars?

what is google