Do you annotate as you read?

Do you annotate as you read?

Other urls found in this thread:

chuma.cas.usf.edu/~pinsky/mark_a_book.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=BshxCIjNEjY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I bet this person is more preoccupied with the aesthetics of having a marked book than with actually making useful notes

i know why the caged bird memes

I can understand taking notes, but taking notes about plot points?

This a teacher making annotations you morons.

You've grown too cynical over the years.

No

what the fuck

fuck you

Are you writing a book report?

If not, stop this.

Just stop it. It's dumb.

No.

Stopping every page or so to jot something down just breaks my immersion and enjoyment.

No because I'm not a slow witted dullard.

Non-fiction yes, fiction no

Hork Hork Hork

Only I'm school

I high-light (erasable), and each of my high-lights are color coded to mean different things.

Yes but not like this... I just write shit in the book, according to:

chuma.cas.usf.edu/~pinsky/mark_a_book.htm

Took me like a fucking year to get over not being able to write in books, but it really is necessary if you want to understand them.

Holy shit, maybe Veeky Forums really does read but doesn't put in the effort to actually understand a book?

true, you should be writing notes on the computer. tabs are wacky. she's writing the same stuff on the same page that she's eventually going to have to type on the computer for her essay

Yes, although I only ever do it with books really like, and usually on the reread. Pic related is The Recognitions.

This.

That looks incredibly tedious, and we all know they are looking to annotate irrelevant stuff just so they can fill the book with cute little coloured post-its.

I'm still learning how to lose my "reverence for paper, binding, and type" (like Adler says in this essay ).

I'm also reading How to Read a Book right now, so I gather when I finish it up I should be more able to make important annotations in my books.

Nice handwriting user.

A U T I S M
U
T
I
S
M

conscientiousness

>Dr. Pablo, I'm school

Nope, I'm not pseud faggot.

Not personally, no. I got a book from thriftbooks with a few annotations in it. It's interesting to see the thoughts and feelings of another person on the particular subject.

What would I write about?

Thanks

There's more.

What do you anotate for fiction?

From what you've read so far, is the book worth it? I've always assumed it was a meme book, worthless.

Usually themes and motifs within the work, obscure references I don't catch and little notes about other books or authors (the description of the pearls in the first image reminded me of the beginning of Nabokov's The Gift, and Aunt May's talk of taking God's place reminded me of Flaubert and Joyce). In books with a good structure you can catch where the author had to be resourceful to make things stick and cohere. I'm amazed by how many plates Gaddis could keep spinning in his books.

What type of graphite do you use user? I've thought of doing similar for books I need to read for uni, but I'm afraid of either having it too heavy to rub off or too light ending up smudged.

Just a regular Ticonderoga pencil, though I keep it constantly sharp to avoid blurring the words with a blunt point.

I underline sentences and passages that I like, then never look at them again.

this. the person who did that must be either a girl or a tumblr pseud. or both.

>actually thinking you must write notes in order to understand a book
literally kill yourself you fucking retard

holy shitt you're pathetic

Lol at all the plebs in this thread.

Every person I've ever met who puts notes/stickies in their books are more often than not the most informed in regards to that book and its genre/subject.

So many brainlets on this board.

What's your fucking problem dude? Stupidity since birth?

I can't think if I don't. I dont use post its, but I do use marginalia in all the worthwhile fiction I read. I've had to. Writing through whats happening helps me organize the ideas and retain them.

It's also great if youre trying to learn how to write or want to have references for later on. It's convenient to have the notes right by the material.

I mean, it's a tool. Why not use it?

Also I notice that people fetishize on both ends of the spectrum. The check-out-my-notes people and books-r-sacred people are the same essence of douche in different forms.

Idk about you yet, but you seem all right. Do you like Dostoyevsky?

>Idk about you yet, but you seem all right
he's a fucking pseud numale

Triggered:^)?

if you highlight/take margin notes on first reading youre probably retarded.

Thats what I'm trying to figure out right now, user. By probing. Here is something cool.

>It's also great if youre trying to learn how to write
Completely mistaken. You don't learn how to write by writing useless words or super short sentences in a fucking margin of 2 cm
>It's convenient to have the notes right by the material
Just open the fucking book and re-read the passage that interests you, autist

eternally sacredly endlessly THIS

Actually I do it the second time around.

How did you know?

>me in the foreground
>you in the background playing the drum

>le heavy pseud reading every book two times
wew lads!

Whybdo you assume the words are worthless? Idk, youre not doing it right if you dont fill up the margins. My guess on the user above is that he hasnt been doing that long. I could be wrong tho. Either way, what's wrong with engaging with material in the way you feel gets you the most out of it?

>autist
I may be autistic, whats it to you

WEW LAADS

Shut up

WO-HO-HO LE HOLY SHIT

>I'm a brainlet

Should have just said.

youtube.com/watch?v=BshxCIjNEjY

You are not funny and pretending to be retard is a sign of autism

That wasnt me

user what is the purpose of margins?

>what is the purpose of margins?
Placing your fingers to hold the book and not having the page full of words in every part, which would be annoying and unaesthetic

yeah, but i write on the book pages, i don't like this kind of faggotry you posted

Writing notes WHILE reading is the most pseud thing I can think of

Highlight passages I like, no notes. Shit's claustrophobic.

Oh thats a good point. Although I guess repurposing isnt bad.

I can just imagine...

>Feminist symbolism here (orange sticky)
>Life/death contrast...Rebirth motif? (Blue sticky)
>Nice alliteration here! (Green sticky)
>What did this dead white male mean by this? (Pink sticky)

It's a fucking struggle accepting that you're a pleb sophomore who likes the aesthetics of reading more than reading itself but it's a part of learning to read I suppose. I think rather than just waiting for it to go away before writing in your books you should try to get rid of it actively: write in your books even though it feels terrible. Maybe buying shitty second-hand copies. How to Read a Book is great, but you don't instantly become good at reading after finishing it.

Jesus Christ you're shit at reading you fucking pleb.

I would say it's sort of a meme book. A lot of the book is stuff you've heard parroted by elementary school teachers for 6 years straight and a bit more in high school.

Another good chunk of the book sounds like a rambling hipster who goes on about how there are only a handful of books ever worth "reading"

The last bit is him talking about something even he deems impossible without already knowing how to read books so it kind of implodes upon itself.

The most important thing you'll ever learn from that book is not how to read one, but that it is to be expected that women are not well read nor well educated and should only be expected to make chocolate mousse.

Does crossing out words you don't like count as annotating? I usually use a permanent black marker and correct any disturbing words.

If you need to take notes to really understand a book instead of putting it down every so often to simply think or reflect on what you've read probably means you have some sort of learning disability or you're still in high school...

>Are you writing a book report?
>If not, stop this.
>Just stop it. It's dumb.

LOL

You read through entire works of difficult literature and leave them completely unmarked? Even philosophy?

I swear only 10% of the people on this board actually read worth a shit.

>Holy shit, maybe Veeky Forums really does read but doesn't put in the effort to actually understand a book?

Welcome to Veeky Forums.

I only use small post its for chapters when the book doesn't have a table of contents
Other than that, what's the point

Yes! I write and underline directly in the book. (Even library books, but not books borrowed from friends.) I put a sticky note at the top of annotated pages and then copy the relevant passages to Evernote if I need them for something.

>Even library books
God, I hate people like you. If you want to doodle on your own books that's fine, but please don't fill public property with your chicken scratch. It's not mysterious stains tier but it's close.

underrated post

what happen with her ?

You're so presumptuous. St. Thomas Aquinas wrote thousands of pages to understand Aristotle and The Bible. What makes you think you're so fucking special for reading badly?

I write notes on my computer. If I don't I'll likely have forgotten everything about the book within a week.
For fiction I only do it if I really like the book, and the notes are mainly a way for me to analyze why I like it so much.

I make notes when reading history or philosophy, but not for fiction.

I'm convinced my annotated copy of Freud will become a posthumous masterpiece.

>idiot here

>reading some secondhand book
>all the "hard" words are underlined with little definitions in the margins
>this happens almost every page, so someone was really struggling

It's cute

>look at me, I feel superior because I'm under the false impression that I already know everything, so when I'm reading I shut my brain off and just stare at words pretending I already understand every single one of them to get away from the fact that I'm a sub par plebeian pseud who should fucking kill himself. I think that people who are learning are inferior.

It's cute ;)

Yes, is the only way to study. How the fuck I am susppose to remember what I read, quotes and all that stuff? When I want take back something I just open the book and look for underlined parts or a post it. I also take notes in a notebook or A4.