Why is this book so critically praised?

Why is this book so critically praised?

It legitimately sounds like a book some edgy school anime would be made on. I feel like I really would've liked this book if I read it when I was 16 and not 22

>sounds like a book some edgy school anime would be made on

that's because edgy school anime is influenced by it

To me the worst part wasn't Holden's edgy comments nor his snark attitude with everybody, the thing I couldn't stand was he molesting his sister at the end of the book.

I thought the "he rape his sister Phoebe" was just a meme, but when I actually read the book it made me very, very uncomfortable.

Rape victims are more inclined to rape. He was raped thus he raped.

He literally describes her how humbert did to lolita like halfway into the story

the author seems to get inside the character and sell like no one else has yet achieved

>'character is a bad person therefore the book is bad'

why does this meme persist

The character isn't bad the book just sounds like childish young adult work

It came about right in time to capitalize on the nascent 20th century fetish for bland verisimilitude being passed for profundity.

in the quality of the writing alone it's much better than the whole YA genre

>ya goddamn killin me ya know, you're a real champ guy.

I summed up 70% of the dialogue for you

it's subjective style of 50s NY . you might not like how kids talked back then but it's real and entirely intentional.

That's low quality writing and a shitty cop out excuse

so it would have been better if he had writing from the perspective of a yank child but used an english aristocrats voice just because it's more proper?

Yes

troll.

I'm done talking to you now.

Don't respond to me again brainlet, go back to 11th grade English.

> I feel like I really would've liked this book if I read it when I was 16 and not 22

I think so too, I really liked it when I read it at 17.

It's a coming of age story and I saw myself relating to the main character a lot because he acts like an asshole who's lost in life so what I basically got from the book was not to act like him, get my life together and know that many other people go through the same shit as I did at that age.

Many other people read the book around the same age as I did and get the same basic idea out of it, The Catcher in The Ray is both a good introduction to literature and one of the first books that have an impact on peoples life which is why I think it's considered such a classic.

I can't believe Veeky Forums is considered an intellectual board and yet everyone here is literally too dumb for Catcher in the Rye

>It legitimately sounds like a book some edgy school anime would be made on. I feel like I really would've liked this book if I read it when I was 16 and not 22
You missed the point of the entire book, then.

and every sentence of a monologue ending with "i did, i really did"

This.
Pretty pathetic showing guys.

> Pretentious Veeky Forums tards can't get Catcher in the Rye, when a normie like me who probably only reads 4 books a year can get it.

actually it's excellent writing. why don't you try to write literature in the voice of a 15 year old and have it seem even remotely realistic.

Inb4 people take the bait. People search for this book and reddit and post threads starting with cringy comments they find there.

It's not edgy, it just had an edgy protagonist. Holden's viewpoint is supposed to come off as childish and unhealthy.

wut?

Read it when I was 16, disliked his angsty behaviors, but liked the last few chapters for some reason. I might read it again, can you tell me what is it that most people don't get?

Because it's written to sound like that. And it's a really hard thing to do if you don't think like an edgy yourself. That's some of the very merits.

Where?

It was one of the first edgy tryhard characters so it's famous for that.

>tfw too intelligent to read catcher in the rye

This. Now I can't see red hunting ahts without getting horny/disgusted

>Holden's viewpoint is supposed to come off as childish and unhealthy
When will this meme end. Catcher in the Rye is not a YA novel.

Post yfw you realize Holden was right

>I feel like I really would've liked this book if I read it when I was 16 and not 22
But your response to it is that of a 16 year-old

Was it the part where he rapes his sister?

Nice meme faggot.

Catcher in the Rye is the ultimate pleb filter. If you dislike the book because you dislike Holden, then you're not cut out for reading.

>16 year old, edgy anime, niggers cuck buzzwords lol!

Because it perfectly captures teenage angst and alienation.

Nothing fucking happens.

Was it banned for being so dull?

Am I the only one who thought that Holden will kill his sister at the end just to defend her from this shit world? And I really thought that Salinger wanted to end like this, but never had the courage to do that.

My favorite part of the book was when hebordered a prostitute and only talked to her then got beat up by her pimp

It seemed like a situation someone from Veeky Forums would get it so I related a lot