What book to help you cope with crippling depression and lonliness?

What book to help you cope with crippling depression and lonliness?

"Depression" is such a broad term that it'd be impossible to prescribe you a cure when you haven't even explained the extent of your depression, my man.

Reading Plato might help though.

Stirner

It is not precisely a sad or happy book, but I found The Magic Mountain to be extremely therapeutic and comfy. It might help you to at least to not feel alone due all the characters and ideas exposed. (However the end is kind of gloomy)

Or read the stoics. You might disagree with some of their teaching, however their examples of going on in a harsh world are really uplifting.

pic related is good for a start.

Do people now a days actually feel lonely or is it just me?

i'm not op
is the magic mountain a good start to read hesse? months ago i read here it was an extremely dense book that you have to read slowly and digest what you've read

i not only feel lonely, i am lonely
i live alone and i have no friends, no family around me, all i've got is Veeky Forums
its been a year like this and i'm starting to get used

Well, people have always felt alone.

The difference is that now, despite all the things that supposedly will bring us together, we still persist with the feelings of alienation.

Magic Mountain was written by Thomas Mann haha. However, if you want to start with Hesse I suppose that either Steppenwolf or Siddhartha or Demian will give you a grasp of his ideas in general.

Now, about The Magic Mountain, is the only thing I have read about Mann, however he has smaller books like Death in Venice and I believe I once saw a compilation of stories.

Both authors are nice, you should give them a try

>Magic Mountain was written by Thomas Mann haha.
sorry for that lmao
not sure why my mind thought it was written by hesse

Escapist fantasy.

It really is as simple as getting a hobby and getting out more. I've been where you've been, mate, take small steps and it will get easier along the way.

No problem. But hey, you should look forward to read TMM. It's really nice and even if you don't understand at all the references, just by the reading the book you will learn lot of things. It makes your time worth it.

a gf/bf

notes from the underground has though to read but very rewarding.

when i found it was so happy, i thought i had found a medium to explain my psyque to others.

turns out many people read it, and though they have an idea of what it is about they don't have the capacity to empathize with the narrator at all. so yea

Books that I believe have helped me:
Tao Te Ching
The Story of Philosophy
The Little Prince
Bridge of Birds
Wind Sand and Stars
Essays of George Orwell
The Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion
The Deathbird Stories
Portrait of the Artist
Cultural Amnesia
Einsteins Dreams
Meditations
Family Happiness
A Scanner Darkly
Stories of Kafka
Labyrinths
Moby Dick
The Sirens of Titan
Room at the Top
Siddhartha
Solaris
The Stranger
The Swords Trilogy

i love reading, but honestly it never helped me with depression, only helped me wallow in it
it's a meme but doing exercise helped so much more

ok, i'll put it on my 2017 list

that "getting used to" phase is a trick. you will start losing your mind eventually

Kill yourself. "Depressed" people are usually obnoxious narcissists who would rather sulk in their misery than make an effort to take control of their lives.
>inb4 you reply angrily, defending that which hurts you

i'll try that, user
i'll start going to the gym because i'm starting to get overweight (i have 6kg that shouldn't be here) and life would be worse if i was fat

i don't have much hope in making new friends, i don't have much in common with people around me and its painful for me to change who i am (and start going to parties with terribly loud music and drinking until i lose my conscience)

so i need to believe that i will overcome all of this, that i'll fulfill myself

>2016+1
>wanting to be a normie

People you like will have parties you like. Go and find those people.

I post on Veeky Forums, but most of you cunts ignore me.

kys

let's be friends user
tell me about you

The only way out of depression is self delusion. Fuck the truth, you can think about anything you want once you get out of the spiral. Do some excercise and eat better, focus on the little things that give you pleasure.
Don't get desperate, wait for the people that are really worth it, you'll find them if you search enough.

>i not only feel lonely, i am lonely

I think you mean you're alone and feel lonely. There's a difference between the two.

>i'm starting to get used

I know that feel, sadly.

stoicism tbqh femme

>lmao mental illness is just a spook
wew

Man's Search for Meaning.

Yup, pretty much the only list you'll list, bar Siddartha and the Stranger.

all of them if i'm in the right mood, none of them if i'm in the wrong mood

The old woman in my neighborhood, whom I used to visit and do some chores for, died this summer.
She had had a eventful life; she and her family escaped soviet invasion in Karelia with a sled during WW2 when the fighting grew nearer their cottage. She had a soundproof room to sleep in during new-years, otherwise she would see dreams of the war.
She had married a sailor and they spent their lives from 50's to 70's sailing with a small boat of theirs from the north tip of Norway to the mediterraenian banks of Turkey.
After that they had lived in Denmark and Sweden before returning to Finland in the 90's, where she would live the rest of her life in my neighborhood.
Her husband, Felix, died in '96 of lung cancer in their bathroom. She lived the rest of her 20 years alone.
She fared well until something like 2007, when eventually she grew a fear of going outside of her apartment. I started to help her with grocerys and she'd make some coffee in return and tell me stories. When I asked her if she was lonely, she replied that the first years alone were very difficult, but she has grown used to it. She still had her family, even if in foreign lands.
Now when she died I was rather surprised that she left me her belongings, which are not many. Her relatives came from Germany and Sweden to her funeral and I showed them her apartment. They were very understanding of her will, as they had not been in touch unlike I had understood.
The first time I entered her bedroom, I was stunned by the amount of dust and an unpleasant smell that had been attempted to hide with perfume, but then also by the clothe she had used on her bed, the room was decorated in very rich colors - purple, deep red and blue. Over the bed there was an icon of Mary and opposing the bed there was a picture of her husband. On the night-table there was a small card, which she must've given a look every evening these 20 years. It was a wedding anniversary card from her husband with a picture of the painting related. The text says "Happiness is to grow old together".
I think it's best to fight against loneliness, especially when you can notice it coming to you.

Conspiracy against the human race

forgot pic

The only answer that really understands depression

Almost everyone is a narcissist in the modern landscape. It's the result of cultural consumerism gone mad. I feel bad for faggots like OP, they are legitimate victims.

did you fuck her like in harold and maude?

That one about doing some pushups, going outside, developing useful skills and becoming interesting.

entertainment won't fix things

Post and read more Facebook stuff, that'll help.

Letters To a Young Poet

>My dear Mr Kappus,

>You shall not go without greetings from me at Christmas time, when you are perhaps finding your solitude harder than usual to bear among all the festivities. But if you notice that it is great, then be glad of it; for what (you must ask yourself) would a solitude be that was not great? There is only one solitude, and it is vast and not easy to bear and almost everyone has moments when they would happily exchange it for some form of company, be it ever so banal or trivial, for the illusion of some slight correspondence with whoever one happens to come across, however unworthy … But perhaps those are precisely the hours when solitude grows, for its growth is painful like the growth of boys and sad like the beginning of spring. But that must not put you off. What is needed is this, and this alone: solitude, great inner loneliness. Going into oneself and not meeting anyone for hours – that is what one must arrive at. Loneliness of the kind one knew as a child, when the grown-ups went back and forth bound up in things which seemed grave and weighty because they looked so busy, and because one had no idea what they were up to.

>And when one day you realize that their preoccupations are meagre, their professions barren and no longer connected to life, why not continue to look on them like a child, as if on something alien, drawing on the depths of your own world, on the expanse of your own solitude, which itself is work and achievement and a vocation? Why wish to exchange a child’s wise incomprehension for rejection and contempt, when incomprehension is solitude, whereas rejection and contempt are ways of participating in what, by precisely these means, you want to sever yourself from?

>Think, dear Mr Kappus, of the world that you carry within you, and call this thinking whatever you like. Whether it is memory of your own childhood or longing for your own future – just be attentive towards what rises up inside you, and place it above everything that you notice round about. What goes on in your innermost being is worth all your love, this is what you must work on however you can and not waste too much time and too much energy on clarifying your attitude to other people. Who says you have such an attitude at all? – I know, your profession is hard and goes against you, and I had foreseen your complaints and knew they would come. Now that they have come I cannot assuage them; I can only advise you to consider whether all professions are not like that, full of demands, full of hostility for the individual, steeped as it were in the hatred of those who with sullen resentment have settled for a life of sober duty.

Tao Te Ching

>Meme-itations by Marcus Aurelius
>The Power of Now
Couldn't finish this one. I couldn't stand all the new age bs. You'll get the gist of it early on, though.
>Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy
>Models
>Charisma Myth
Mostly for the tips on dealing with stress and anxiety.
>Steppenwolf

They're just books, though. Don't expect miracles.

What really helped was:
>Eat healthier
>Lose weight
>Exercise
>Practice good hygiene
>Build a daily routine

Learning to play with kids has also helped me lighten up. I'm not as much of a drag as before.

>crippling depression and lonliness?

You mean laziness?

Definitely Charles Bukowski. His incapability of dealing with the capitalism and doing something only to entertain your living always showed me that you don't have to do it. You can have tough times, but in the end you at least always stood by your ideals and you didn't bargain your life

sean pls

When I was depressed, I couldn't really focus on reading much. I stuff by Cioran that was just collections of aphorisms, but I couldn't get through his essays. I just realized that what was making me miserable was my desire to not be lonely or depressed. Since I don't want to be an optimistic biocuck and I get angry if I'm around for people for more than a few hours, I just eliminated harmful desires from my life and now I'm pretty happy desu

>harmful desires
Such as?

>Almost everyone is a narcissist in the modern landscape.
Explain

my name is Joe

Dream of a Ridiculous man

thanks for sharing user

The maxims and interludes from beyond good and evil