Math is just the study of arbitrary bullshit. Prove me wrong

Math is just the study of arbitrary bullshit. Prove me wrong.

Would math fall under psychology?

Go to a restaurant (in U.S) and pay the check. What and how do you tip?

Nothing. It's a retarded practice. Should I also tip taxi drivers?

Engineering requires math.

This is bait

Number theory is used in cryptography

>Uber drivers are starting to expect tips
This is literally the worst. If they want a tip, they should just drive for Lyft.

>no actual proof was provided
Haha, why are mathcucks so pathetic? They're literally as bad as philosophers, maybe even more autistic. Why do they keep circlejerking on a SCIENCE board, where science should reign supreme?

Wtf are you talking about? Science requires math everywhere.

Stop replying

>arbitrary
in what sense? that we come up with it rather than discover it? in that sense yes, it is arbitrary, but what we come up with has useful application in the real world.
the "arbitrary bullshit" youre probably talking about, as in pure mathematics, number theory etc, has basically shaped the modern world.
cryptography keeps people out of your phone, calculus gets rockets in the air, complex numbers have use in electrical engineering and so on.

and yes, some of it is just abstract problems, but what's the harm in studying something which has no practical use? you might as well say that art has no practical use, or music, or sport.
if you're still not convinced, try to imagine the modern world without your "arbitrary bullshit". really ponder what it would look like.

Math=art. Okay.

>Prove me wrong.
Everything in your life is based on mathematics.

Everything complex that is mass produced is using mathematics.

Every house that you see, every car that you drive and ever computer you use is only possible because of mathematics.

If you think "mathematics is just bullshit" then you have to conclude that everything build on it is bullshit too. So you either mach into the woods and live as a hermit or accept that mathematics is governing our everyday life.

>be physicist
>apply math to real problems
>it now has physical meaning

well that was easy

What is

Mathematical Finance
Mathematical Biology
Mathematical Cryptography
Mathematical Physics
Mathematical Chemistry
Mathematical Physics
Mathematical Statistics
Mathematical Psychology
Mathematical Marketing

Do you see a pattern?

Everything does even physics.

"real life" = mundane life of plebs who don't realize they are human cattle

They probably already do. They both pay shit so a lot people end up working for both to make ends meet. Swap between the two depending on the current rates.

Name one modern technology that could conceivably exist without any mathematics.

Would you like frys with that?

Pretty much. One day some thousands of years ago there was a rich man who needed records on how much things he had. From this we invented numbers, only meant to count gold coins and cows.

>Hey Ongo, can you see? If I have 2 of 4 cows, I have exactly 8 cows! It is like 4 cows fit twice into 8 cows. Or even better, that 8 cows are divisible by 4 cows into 2!

>Bongo, I can do you one better. Here I give you 11 cows! Find a smaller number of cows that isn't 1 that can divide my 11 cows. I dare you!

>Ongo I can finally see! You are missing the forest for the trees. There is nothing special about 11 cows. Take a look at my 2 cows, my 3 cows, my 5 cows.

>My god Bongo! I wonder how far can we go. When do indivisible cows stop occurring!

>Ongo, you fool! See that if you suppose that there is a last number of indivisible cows then I can construct you an even bigger one! It is contradictory! It never ends, there can always be bigger pens of indivisible cows.

>Impossible Bongo! It cannot be!

>Yes it is Ongo. I have been studying cows for a long time. Take a look at my farm. I have 50 pens of cows, one with 50 cows, another with 49 cows, and so on until one with only one cow. With this I have been studying indivisible cows very closely and found this result!

>It is crazy Bongo. But how many of those 50 pens are of indivisible cows? How many indivisible number of cows are below 50 cows my friend?

>I do not know my friend, lets count

>Great my friend. But I wonder what would happen if we go further. What about 100 cows? 1000 cows? It would be so hard to fill up 1000 pens of cows and then count to see which ones are indivisible. How could we do this my friend?

>[math] \lim_{x\to\infty} \pi \frac{(x) log(x)}{x} = 1 [/math] my friend

>Complex number are used in ee

This triggers me so much, yes, you can use complex numbera to describe any shit thats a linear combination of 2 variables REEEEE

Except the complex numbers aren't just a two-dimensional vector space over the reals; they're also a field in their own right. And quite often you need the fact that you can multiply and divide complex numbers.

[Insert subject here] is the study of arbitrary bullshit

The proof is left as an exercise to the brainlet.

>I don't know any complex analysis
Complex analysis is really useful and powerful stuff. Fourier series and transforms are a simple example most know. Another is computing integrals using cuachy's theorem and residues.

yeah, and weight lifting is just picking up heavy things and putting them down.

you don't do it for the sake of doing it, you do it for the results.

autismo the post

>mach into the woods
damn dude even your typo is based on mathematics

yeah, all the fields you mentioned are indented into your post because some sort of gobbledygook is crowding them forwards.

Its just an isomorphism of R^2 dont try to shill me that is anything more than that. I can too add another axis to numbers so they are 3D instead of using R^3 for le ebin mathz

Counterpoint: everything besides math is the study of arbitrary bullshit.

What are you suggesting?

Everything I said in my post is completely true...

It has the additional structure vector multiplication by a map R2xR2->R2 by (a,b)(c,d)=(ac-bd,ad+bc).

it's R^2 with more structure. it's a field.
that's like saying
>HURR R IS JUST LIKE SOME ORDINAL

>tipping