Hello literature people. I'm going to be going to Barnes and Noble today. Please tell me what to buy...

Hello literature people. I'm going to be going to Barnes and Noble today. Please tell me what to buy. I'm not much of a reader but I wanna get into books. I want to learn.
Im going to get Lolita. Any other recommendations?

I will buy the book no matter what if your post ends in 1.

Other urls found in this thread:

brightlightsfilm.com/spike-jonze-vs-conspiring-escapist-robert-coovers-universal-baseball-association-jan-svankmajers-conspirators-pleasure/).
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Illiad, get it. Also Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

Faerie Queene if they have it

stoner

This modern classic. 1 get.

Good suggestions so far. Just idk if they are but I'm going to read a few pages in each.
It's weird. I'm not much of a reader but I love going into Barnes and Noble and the idea of collecting books sounds very appealing.

50 Shades of Grey

That pic would make more sense if I didn't spend this afternoon playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided with the nagging feeling it's sorta boring and not worth investing another 20 hours in.

Either way, I'm gonna rec you something easy that's popular here but not a meme.

Thank you.
Also I want to learn and not be stupid.
Should I buy some non fiction. Books scare me. I'm afraid I'm going to get bored while reading them.

I hope Lolita is good. I want a good romance since my love life is non existent. Little girls are something else huh guys

I've completely stopped playing vidya a month ago, that picture is literally me.

Get some shorter, easier to digest novellas to start. Animal farm and heart of darkness are as good a place as any.

Dubliners

Start with the Greeks.

>It's weird. I'm not much of a reader but I love going into Barnes and Noble and the idea of collecting books sounds very appealing.
Collecting books is fun. It can be expensive if you just shop at B&N. Go to used bookstores or order online, save tons. Get Infinite Jest. It was how I dove into lit

OP, whatever you do, do NOT start with books recommended by Veeky Forums, read what you actually want to read, this way you won't have to force yourself to go through some of these crappy books these peeps recommend, i'm serious.

>OP reads what he wants
>it's garbage, according to Veeky Forums
>OP feels inferior, reads from Veeky Forums's top 100

He'll do it sooner or later. Might as well start now

>Animal farm
why the hell would you recommend a satiric essay on communism written in the 1930s?

just look at this fuck:
really? someone who's not into books should start by reading a journal on stoicism written 2000 years ago?

> Coming to /lit to learn to love books
Motherfucker this is Veeky Forums. The only thing you learn is to bitch about books you've never read and "lel faggot fell for teh meme" books

shadow men by anthony napoleon

antifragile - taleb

No OP should transcend that shit and be better than us

im a winrar. now read about how society is fucked user. become antifragile and shit on these plebs.

Do not listen to any post above or below me.

The count of Monte Cristo
The three musketeers

You are welcome.

The count of monte cristo and the three musketeers are pretty good I hear, maybe you should get it.

Do listen to me,
when I tell you to do this.

not a book m8

Nonfic is 'scarier', imo. And brace yourself for Lolita: it can feel somewhat tedious at times and, while a great book, isn't exactly a great 'romance'.
For Nabokov, 'Pale Fire' is a lot more fun, but I wouldn't start with him anyway.

I'd rec something like Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon or White Noise, by Don DeLillo, as someone else already suggested. Paul Auster's The New York Trilogy also falls into the realm of being good but also approachable, with some links to more difficult and rewarding lit if you so desire.

The Meditations is timeless, ya pleb. Maybe not the first book OP should read, but definitely sooner rather than later. Seems relevant to xer situation, anyway.

The Picture of Dorian Grey for beautiful prose and imagery

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for an entertaining story

His dark materials series for begginer op
1 get

If you want something to give you a different perspective on gaming and gaming addiction try Robert Coover's "The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop." It's a little disorienting but not in an boring way; there's kind of Charlie Kaufman feel to it (this article talks about some of the similarities: brightlightsfilm.com/spike-jonze-vs-conspiring-escapist-robert-coovers-universal-baseball-association-jan-svankmajers-conspirators-pleasure/). And it's pretty short.

I also liked Gerald's Party a lot, by the same author, but it's a bit more challenging.

The monk