AYY LMAO

AYY LMAO
>theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/05/tabbys-star-alien-megastructure/527382/

general discussion/speculation thread about Tabby's Star while we wait to see if any interesting specifics emerge. no /x/ shit please.

background for those unfamiliar:
>star dims repeatedly, irregularly, and significantly, indicating transit of massive orbiting objects
>star isn't young enough to still have a protoplanetary disk
>dimming is too intense for it to just be planets; luminosity decreases ~15-20%, whereas transiting gas giants only account for a few percent.
>hella spooky, nobody knows what's going on
>proposed explanations include swarms of comets, ayylien space stations, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852
astronomerstelegram.org/?read=10406
cnet.com/news/kic-8462852-tabbys-boyajians-star-aliens-seti-star-space/
youtube.com/watch?v=RjtFnWh53z0
blastr.com/2017-5-22/ok-its-still-not-aliens-were-finally-catching-tabbys-star-act
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ayy lmao reporting in!!

First spectral data. Lots of dimming in Red and Blue, basically nothing in Visible (Green).

Can someone explain for an uneducated brainlet what the heck is going on?

Planetary Observers caught this star doing weird things in the Kepler data (like having a fifth of the star's light go away in a weird shape that doesn't look like a sphere is blocking it - also if it was another stellar object it would be a star but we know its not a star because this one would be wobbly as hell), and now we've caught it doing weird things again with ground telescopes. If you can separate the spectrum lines of the incoming light from the star, you can get some idea what is causing the weird things.

wew thanks man

Sorry bro, but Veeky Forums doesn't like this topic since this makes them uncomfortable. However this is one the most interesting scientific topic at the moment no matter if ayys or not.

>basically nothing in Visible
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

So it's happening again? Will this settle if the thing is in orbit or not?

>So it's happening again? Will this settle if the thing is in orbit or not?

Yes it will. In fact, it has; the dimming seems to be even across all spectra when Telluric (atmospheric) Absorption is factored in. It's not dust or gas, and combined with the periodicity lineup, it's not in the interstellar medium.

OP, is that pic legit?

Something 2% the disc diameter of Tabby, just passed between us?

>>star isn't young enough to still have a protoplanetary disk

Could that be what we're looking at?

And it's wobbling?

How long a measurement period of luminosity do we have on this cat?

Did you miss everything last year?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852

>Something 2% the disc diameter of Tabby, just passed between us?

Now I'm legitimately scared.

So, what does this mean, no ayys?

Not yet, calm your tits.

It's not passing between us and the star, it's orbiting the star. There's no wobble.

i say its a dyson sphere

The only thing it did was pass in front of the host star. Right now it looks like an unknown percentage (but probably a significant one) is dust - much of which is apparently made of calcium.

astronomerstelegram.org/?read=10406

It's not consistent with a gas or dust cloud.

Apparently its a case of Spectroscopy vs Photometry and relative data accuracy. Spectroscopy sees no differences, Photometry is picking up minor ones.

It may sound stupid, but this may be a really important question: does the star dims at a very slowed down rhythm of bee gees?

i have really struggled with whether and how to respond to this. The execution of this message was very nice and respectful, and I genuinely appreciate that. The premise, however, is problematic. Maybe not inherently, but within the context of the sexist society we live in. Men are allowed, and often feel compelled, to think out loud at women, to share unsolicited not necessarily informed thoughts at women. (And usually these men, unlike you, don’t even seem to recognize that their thoughts may not be useful.) Women on the other hand aren’t allowed to be as open. So, if you want to not just be respectful, but actually be anti-oppression, it is better (IMO) not to respond to a woman’s work with the types of thoughts that other men pawn off as insights, if you know what i mean. again, i appreciate your honesty, but i feel obligated to point these things out.

It's probably not aliens

Sometimes you stumble across a phenomena so weird that any answer must sound crazy. Even if the particular crazy answer isn't aliens.

t. Alien

I have an eye on you. My uncle works at Veeky Forums

holy shit she's absolute gold for Veeky Forums-trolling copypasta
enjoy your (You)

>a phenomena
a phenomenon. multiple phenomena
this has been your daily grammar nitpick. continue about your business.

No, you see the transiting megastructure is covered in green ayyliums, so there is no dimming of green wavelengths.

The calcium triplet has nothing to do with dust. It's a feature created in the stellar atmosphere. So no, dust hasn't been ruled out.

The flux decrement is bigger in the B band than the Very band so it's probably dust.

If this ever comes out to be anything but ayy lmaos I'll rip my dick off with my bare hands on livestream

sorry dude, it was me, I had my dick out and it blocked the star

What about a humongous, growing colony of space vegetables covering the star to photosynthetize?
Not ayy but close

Plants are life you fucking retard.

>implying ayy lmao is intended for anything other than little green anthropomorphic wankers

Plants or colony-based organisms are not necessarily intelligent, conscious nor technologically advanced. But yet, capable of organizing into massive networks. Given the conditions/specialization and presence of symbiotic species could be very well capable of extraplanetary expansion.
>no signals
>no direct pattern of growth discernible

It fits better than the dyson swarm hypothesis, if anything

>be alien
>start exploring space
>build space stations, and elevators, and skyhooks, whatever you feel like
>build more
>keep doing this for a few thousand years
>end up producing something that fits the data we have better than any other explanation
WHY they would do that? This is more speculative but several thousand years of industrial development and population growth could force someone to store most of their population and inustry off planet to protect what's left of their biosphere. The best test for this would be to watch if it steadily grows over time--if the next major dimming (roughly 5 days from now) is measurably stronger than the last one we have on file, I'm just throwing my hands in the air and saying it's aliens.

Interesting article recently released, idk how trustworthy Cnet is with their stories and overhyping shit, but here you go.

cnet.com/news/kic-8462852-tabbys-boyajians-star-aliens-seti-star-space/

Ayyyl8ens confirmfed

>alien space ship descends over earth
>ayyyy lmaos step out
>"greetings earthlings we have come for the boipussy"
>"traps arent gay"

Space habitats are really dumb, city around oil platform kinda dumb. Dyson laser is more likely.
youtube.com/watch?v=RjtFnWh53z0

blastr.com/2017-5-22/ok-its-still-not-aliens-were-finally-catching-tabbys-star-act

this is better

Read it already, even though the date is todaysaw(22nd) I saw it floating around Facebook on the 19th. And my linked article has events from yesterday(Monday) saying that the dip has stopped, just like last time and it should happen again in another week.

23rd*

Yes, I just started browsing this board and I'm happy how many Isaac videos get posted