Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VnbiVw_1FNs?t=92
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>brainlet

>functional analysis

>statistical mechanics

>engineering statics

At my uni, Physics 100.

Every year, out of the class of ~300, 200 fail.
The re-sit exams are notorious for being more difficult than the original, as well.

Though Thermo/Fluid dynamics the year after is also a huge brainlet filter.

>Fluid dynamics

>topology

>brainlet

>Algebra

>electromagnetic fields

Cardinality

>Engineering Dynamics

Genetics - All biology majors have to take it, and complain it's hard.

Biochemistry - Not really a filter, it's just that most genetics students are too lazy to take an "optional" course that is essential for any advanced understanding of their field of study.

IUTT

>tfw one of prereqs was knowing Hartshorne like the palm of your hand
>21 page long definitions
>to explain a concept, he prof puts on a 2 minute long video that made absolutely no sense
>first lecture was about changing universes by means of Mellin transforms
>proves Szpiro conjecture in class
>someone asks why is it still called conjecture then
>prof gets visibly angry and shuts off the projector through which he was lecturing from his office

I dropped out when the only one that understood the material dressed like a samurai

fpbp

>Elementary probability and combinatorics

>electrodynamics

Global warming.

As in, actual global warming.

if you look at the failure rates, algebra and "college algebra" are number one.

Division

this. high school algebra filters brainlets who weren't cut out for math in the first place, and abstract algebra filters brainlets who ultimately become engineers

Math A :^)

>im one of them

Genetics is easy desu. Where I went uni, cell biology was required before you could take any other biology course if you were majoring in it.

>i did bad at a class so it must be hard for everyone and thus be a filter!
Wow. half of this thread is true retards.

they';re hard for the vast majority of the human population

The vast majority of humans arnt in math/physics/engineering though. Those classes shouldn't be hard for anyone with decently high intelligence and anything that resembles work ethic.

>i did good at everything guys, im totally not posing to try to sound smart and above it all on an imageboard!!

It is this very opinion that is the key to Naive Idealism

Can confirm

Wayta prove anons point bucko

Calculus II

I know it's easy, that's why it's a brainlet filter. At least at my University

In my major it was
> Organic Chemistry
Everyone I knew damn near failed that class.

Most of my friends however were pre-vet and for them it was:
> Calculus 241 (Introduction to Analytical Geometry)
They would often do really poor in it, then have to either change majors or find another career path as they weren't getting into vet school after that.

>pre-vet
>analytical geometry
The fuck? Pre-vet students here only need three credits in math.

I'm not sure where you're at, but my friends either struggled with it, or tried to place out b/c it was that hard.
Also they call it "Analytical geometry" in the course description, but its intro to calculus and the hardest part of it was derivatives and limits so...

>waaaah i did bad in class because im a moron
damn great thread. There are legit hard classes like higher maths/ OChem and then there are just retarded workload shit that morons like you all fail.

From my experience as an EE this were the filter classes
>Calculus
Yeah self explanatory
>Circuits
People have a hard time understanding how circuits work and believe that current works like some sort of game
>Physics I
Like Calculus but with dynamics
>System theory
All the people with no EE knowledge failed or were pretty close to fail.Specially the girls from pre-med school and biology related stuff did horribly bad at this class

>System theory
As an EE I don't know what this is. Did you mean control systems? Agree with everything else though.

I just check.Yeah it is that.We just call it differently in my native language

>t. brainlet samefag
Wew. now that highschool is out for summer this board is filled with morons.

>Graph theory.
You literally can't prove me wrong.

From my perspective. I'm not talking about making it through a course I'm talking about to be able to understanding apply.
Ecosystem/evolutionary dynamics.
patch dynamics
Evo game theory
System/network science and theory
Evo devo
Niche construction
Consequentialism
Semanitics, especially pragmatics
Any decent philsophy
Self organization of dynamic systems.
Earth/life sciences field work. It takes a highly rational person to make a relevant observation in the field, and critical thinking to design a way to obtain empirical or theoretical evidenced.
It takes a genius to deduce patterns in nature, even if a brainlet might be able to understand them afterwards.
Ethology, behavoiral ecology and evolution.
I could see engineers understanding that kind of systems theory. I have seen them have a hard time understanding living systems. I think the lines are too fine and there is a lot of blank spaces that need to be filled in. Also it requires a lot of prequisite knowlege and thought patterns that only the weird kid playing with bugs at recess and reading animal encyclopedias instead of school work will grow up to develop

>0.999...=1
if you cant understand this you are a brainlet who will never grasp numbers

Programming in Lisp.

You see the picture?
1 apple.
The [math]0.9...[/math] bullshit doesn't benefit anyone.
Fuck off.

?

>topology isn't higher math

Lol

>Wow. half of this thread is true retards.
Because our knowing which classes are the filters is sufficient to say that we failed them, right?
I aced emf with ease, but i saw how many kids changed majors / got kicked out because of it
kys tard

Thermo dynamics is easy lad

youtu.be/VnbiVw_1FNs?t=92

Underrated post. You have no idea how many people actually struggle with elementary algebra concepts. I've tutored morons who have legitimately been studying for hours and hours about y =mx + b shit and still don't get it at all

>this retard doesn't understand the point of the thread
You need to practice your critical thinking skills champ!

kek

Kekarino

this just makes me sad. And I don't even mean that in a condescending way. It's just. sad. :/

For ChemEs, probably thermodynamics and transport phenomena. About 1/4th of the people in my major dropped after that semester.

Calculus I and II are big time brainlet filters in physical/life science and engineering programs. Discrete Mathematics I and II are the brainlet filters in computer science programs. Real Analysis is the gatekeeper course in mathematics undergraduate programs.

nmr

lmfao, that was the one section of discrete mathematics the brainlets liked because it involved pictures. I think generating functions and recurrence relations were considered more difficult.

"I know calculus and the real numbers so well!"

>Real Analysis

"Wow I'm fucking retarded"

>taking rational trig class at UNSW
>lecturer seems nice at first
>starts sperging more and more as the course progresses
>class basically just turns into him claiming all mathematicians are hacks
>homework says show there is a maximum number M in the integers [hint: look at 10^200]
>classmate drops out
>turns out the lecturer forced him out because he wrote M+1 on the his hw
>goes on tirades when people say 'assume'
>eventually stops the class
>apparently someone painted a right angle triangle with two sides of length 1 on his office door, and he just lost it

You're not a real school without a sophomore project, a capstone project that's commissioned by a private company to solve one of their real-world problems, and at least three other team-project-oriented courses. Higher education is about what you can actually do, not what you can model doing.

was your teacher Pythagoras?

>tfw you assemble a crack team of literal autists that nobody wants to partner with and get A's on all your projects

god bless you Duncan, your frantic pacing about the halls with your tape player was actually quite endearing.

That sounds like legitimate autism

Can confirm for Organic Chemistry I.

Had around 35 people enroll and by the end of the semester maybe 10 people had stayed.

REEEEE FUCK YOU I STURGGLED WITH CRIPPLING DEPRESSION THROUGHOUT MY SCHOOLING YEARS BECAUSE I WAS A FUCKING MONGOLOID COMPARED TO THE REST OF THE CLASS. THEN THE SCHOOL GAVE ME AN """""IQ TEST"""""" AND I GOT A 130 IN TENTH GRADE WHILE HAVING A 5TH GRADE UNDERSTANDING OF MATH. ITS FUCKING BULLSHIT, FUCK YOU SMART KIDS

lel

Calc II
PDE's

You have to get in the box to lead them outside of it. I find that the notation of algebra is the sticking point for a fair amount of the students I've tutored, and by replacing the x with something that communicates the concept better (like a box where they write the answer), it's easier to make headway and bring them forward.

For the y=mx+b concept, the easy way to make it stick with them is to populate a graph. Have them populate the graph by plugging in different input x-values, and let them see the output pattern arise for themselves. Change b, and repeat the process. Change m, and repeat again. It's essentially the scientific method, and it shows them that they can do it without your guidance, which is really what matters, especially in math where a lot of students tend to lose confidence without really exploring their ability in the subject.

is this b8?
1.) I said I didn't mean it condescendingly.
2.) How can one get 130 on a IQ test(when they are not a child and are almost an adult, no less) and not understand algebra? 130s are engineering and comp sci lvl IQs and algebra is not. That just doesn't make sense. Even if they had a learning disability with a high IQ, that's always something associated with verbal or reading comprehension: their Input/Output is damaged but the internal processor is still good.

european university

>I dropped out when the only one that understood the material dressed like a samurai
Sounds familiar

Molecular biology of the gene is what you're looking for user.

Physical Chemistry

not that user, but you would surprised at the amount of damage bad teachers can do in middle/high school. Only after many years I realized that studying for math requires tons and tons of practice, not simply rote memorization of formulas, which many high schools taught. Drawing the graphs and figures in problems helps with visualizing the issue, but again, this is never taught in high school, just "shut up and learn this because I told you to"

I am not going to make some edgy post saying all kids today are retards but it is amazing to be how many students really can't seem to understand basic stuff. I have tried explaining basic addition of fractions to students before and some don't get it even after hours.

its almost like some human beings aren't cut out for this stuff and we shouldn't be forcing it upon them.

>can all humans sing?

>TFW do great on tests and exams
>Fail every lab because for some reason I can't follow instructions

I'll tell you. They fill the IQ tests with a bunch of meaningless bullshit at the start that has to do with pattern recognition. Even though I struggle with understanding basic algebra I score exceptionally well on the written parts of the test. you believe IQ tests to be legitimate but, I don't.

enjoy being one of those guys with a great GPA who can't get a job

>>apparently someone painted a right angle triangle with two sides of length 1 on his office door,

except even the humanities and business majors have to take some sort of college level math class and that class has atrocious failure rates.

For CS:

Operating Systems and Architecture

>Tfw I have a friend who never studies, writes a note sheet the day of and gets an A in the class
>tfw I have to study for weeks on end to get a B on a test
>tfw I really wanna go to graduate school too
>tfw EE

Real analysis

Ceci n'est pas une pomme

Dunno about everywhere else, but at my uni databases is a filtering class. The fail rate is about 60% every year

Intro to AI. Literally none of the CS or Software Engineering people at my university take the actual intro to mathematical statistics paper (includes game theory) and so almost none can actually handle the math involved in AI.

>advanced electrodynamics

Algebraic number theory. Out of 53, 44 failed the class. Toppest of kek

what do you guys cover?

Biology tutor here, can confirm the semester where bio majors take genetics and ochem is the filter for brainlets.

Graduate real analysis. Folland is a bitch. Hold me, someone. I am being filtered.

I love thermodynamics.

Fuck, had a similar experience
>first class, no lecturer in sight
>all of a sudden he changes universes and teleports right in front of the board
>doesnt say a single word, starts drawing cartwheels on the board
>someone raises their hand and asks what a particular symbol means
>prof stares into his eyes and student disappears
>later on, prof starts proving the main theorem of the course
>someone points out infinite counterexamples
>class was cancelled thereafter

I agree. Math shouldn't be mandatory past 9th grade, most kids will never need to know parabolas and the volume of a sphere outside of math class.

Then, once teachers won't have to worry about having to dumb down their curriculum to make sure Johnny Brainlet passes 10th grade algebra, they can actually work to improve math education and teach math to students who are actually interested in the subject rather than taking it for a high school credit. It's fucking unbelievable that the average high school here in Canada doesn't introduce calculus until the very last semester of 12th grade, and it's a severely half-assed calculus to boot.

this