Math Branches to study

What are some interesting math branches to learn on my own. I recently learned Calculus for my Calc BC AP, and actually enjoyed it quite a bit. What are some other math fields that are equally interesting and will teach me a lot. I have taken an interest (but have not started learning) in topology and analysis.

What are some others you faggots would recommend to a brainlet, who wishes to unbrainlet himself. Also post examples from each sub-branch of math, so that I can get a feel of it.

Math branches I know of, and have a slight interest about:
- Topology
- Analysis
- Number theory
Also, quick challenge, what function is the pic the Taylor expansion of?

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you liked calc BC, you'll like differential equations and complex analysis.

Forgot to mention, I want to learn there on my own, in my free time.

Differential equations was actually a part of the material to study. Probably not on a very high level.

Can you give an example of complex analysis?

e^x

Read a book on proofs like Smith's
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics#Proofs_and_Mathematical_Reasoning
Then read one of these:
Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics#Overview_of_Mathematics

[math]{partial} over {partial x} e^u = e^u {partial u} over {partial x} [/math]

Thanks user, will check out.

>Also, quick challenge, what function is the pic the Taylor expansion of?
You want an actual quick challenge? What's the function represented by
[math]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}2^{n+1}n(x-1/2)^{n-1}[/math]
for |x| < 1 ?

At your level something cool about complex analysis is evaluating infinite integrals such as
[math]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \sin{x}/x dx[/math]
which turns out to be [math]\pi[/math]

Geometric measure theory.

First learn some linear algebra from Hoffman and Kunze or Axler. Axler is easier for beginners. Now you have to learn analysis and algebra. Rosenlicht and Herstein are good. Once you've done that you should probably take a look at Spivak's calc on manifolds.

Yeah, so it should be clear this is the Taylor expansion of e^x at 0.

ew.

Here's a flow chart for major areas of math and their prerequisites. Start from the bottom

Thanks user! Thai si the kind of info I was looking for.

Pretty sure you need single var calc for probability

It goes Single Var. Calc --> Real Analysis --> Measure Theory --> Probability Theory

So knowledge of calculus is implied

Some things should be added to this, like module theory, functional analysis, algebraic topology, algebraic geometry, category theory, homological algebra, lie theory, and maybe some others. But they're all very high-level math.

if you evaluate the laplace of sin(t)/t in 0 you can solve it easier

>laplace
confirmed engineer.

Complex analysis is really cool as an intro to topology (since the proofs use open sets) algebra (since the complex numbers are a field) analysis (obviously) and category theory (since the complex numbers have their own specific morphisms, the analytic functions)

It is the best babby intro to mathematical structure, I was lucky to have stumbled upon it as a first non-calc course.

This is really incomplete.

It contains all of the basics, and I mentioned some things that are missing: . It's impossible to learn all of mathematics anyway.

""""challenge""""

Integrate because you can [use your favourite convergence test], get geometric series
[eqn]\sum_{n=0}^\infty 2^n\left(x-\frac{1}{2}\right)^n[/eqn]
which evaluates at [math]\frac{1}{2(1-x)}[/math] and its derivative is [eqn]-\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{(1-x^2)}[/eqn]

Algebraic topology? Algebraic topology!

Alright. what's the largest set in which this laurent series converges

[math]\sum_{n=-\infty}^{n=\infty}a_nz^n[/math]
where
[math]a_n = \frac{1}{n}[/math] for n > 0
and
[math]a_n = 5^n[/math] for n [math]\leq[math] 0

[math]\leg[/math] *

[math]\leq[/math] **
sheesh

personally, i like the principal branch

cba desu, would have to get my complex notes out