Why the fuck did someone give something as cool as quarks, such a dumb fucking name?

why the fuck did someone give something as cool as quarks, such a dumb fucking name?

This is how I feel about ANALysis. Retarded joke aside the name doesn't reflect how advanced it can get.

i say this about supersymmetry particles, squarks, sparticles? what the fuck?

yeah

I think a better question is who came up with the retarded names for the flavors?

what would you name them?

>There are six types of quarks, known as flavors: up, down, strange, charm, top, and bottom.

i swear to god, some of these monkeys that sleep in their labs just begun to lose all touch with humanity.

probably something in latin that means building block or foundation or something along those lines. maybe something that means beginning.

Yeah!

I don't understand why we even need all those flavors, or other high-energy versions of the standard particles at all. Why not call them Gen 2 electrons or Gen 3 up-quarks.

alpha particles would have been a good name for them if it wasn't already taken.

I think scientists have given up on naming shit.It used to be that you could give things cool Greek or Latin names, but now that nobody is trained in those languages, people have no idea how to name things. They just make up words that sound dumb as sand.

Because Gell-Man is a pretentious ass. iirc it comes from a line in Finnegans wake "3 quarks for muster mark". Also
>QCD
>Cool

>For some time, Gell-Mann was undecided on an actual spelling for the term he intended to coin, until he found the word quark in James Joyce's book Finnegans Wake:

>three quarks for Muster Mark!
>Sure he hasn't got much of a bark
>And sure any he has it's all beside the mark.

holy fuck that is awful.

top and bottom were originally called truth and beauty, if that helps

Bullshit. Every new particle gets a faux Greek -on suffix.

I will concede that they get the -on, but you have to admit that 'chameleon' is a dumb name in spite of the suffix.

someone pls interpret the original for me. What does it mean

>up - self explanatory in context
>down - self explanatory in context
>strange - discovered by a physicist
>charm - discovered by a gay physicist
>top - discovered by a manly engineer
>bottom - discovered by a feminized engineer

That's already what atom means

Atom means 'indivisible'.

Your mom also said she was indivisible but look at what I did to her last night with my cock

What exactly did you do? Go into detail please.

Are they on a spectrum?

Kek

because they really liked james joyce

You don't sleep in your lab? What is wrong with you?

We had a polite conversation over tea and biscuits

Finnegans Wake is my favorite book.

no i try to maintain a shred of a humanity. I enjoy being a people and not an autistic robot.

dumb name for a dumb idea

if you discover something you can name it whatever you want

also gellman > feynman