So what is everyone in Veeky Forums majoring in?

So what is everyone in Veeky Forums majoring in?

Other urls found in this thread:

thewaltdisneycompany.com/leaders/ben-sherwood/
corporate.comcast.com/news-information/leadership-overview/cesar-conde-2
pimco.com/en-us/our-firm/firm-leadership
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>he hasn't graduated yet

I'll be starting my Pure Math major next semester!

Hopefully astrophysics, or something along those lines, any suggestions?

financial mathematics and statistics

EE

Math, comp sci or physics. I'm at a pretty good uni what should I do. I want money but I don't want to be a code monkey. Yes I am aware of
>300k starting
I don't need reminding.

oh boy, if you have to ask here

chemistry and maybe molecular biology

just started a phd in computational mechanics

political science with a minor in cs

>Ph.D. in Math
>any job I want
>$300k starting

Also interested

>I want money
isn't there more to life?

Mech engineering senpai

Undecided between Me or Ee?
Quick rundown about pros and cons.

Medicine

Same

Computer science, minor in mathematics

Good or bad?

EE, and I'm not pajeet.

Microbiology

A flexible choice desu. I can go work immediately as a lab rat, go to medical school to become a physician, or stay in the academia for a masters degree and eventually a PhD.
A bachelor's in chemistry is fine too, and has lots of options as well.

Comp sci

Hope you like programming in assembly and C, staring at hex and binary, reading oscilloscopes, doing lab reports, and circuits user

Psychology and biology with a chem minor. I'm applying to medical school this cycle and everything looks good as long as my MCAT is at least decent.

>graduated with Biochemistry bachelor's
>fell for the STEM meme
>lol lab tech jobs only
>fucked up 3 years of life doing meaningless chemist jobs
>going back in fall for CS to segue into a computational biology master's

Wish me luck Veeky Forums. Maybe I'll get done with school before 30.

paleontology

Civil engineering, thinking about going into acoustics.
Does anybody here know if acoustical engineering is fun?

not in the post-bronze-age world

I'm so fucking sick of how negative people get when people state their major. EE is not even bad and yet your dumbass has to come and rave about how awful it is when I'm sure you probably never have done it. First off EE has many specializations and you can easily avoid any parts you don't like after your second year. Your life must suck being unable to handle any kind of minor inconvenience. Fuck off back to /b/.

Pure Math and Linguistics.

They're a good pair. I'm going to make AI some day, I swear.

>just graduated with a Mech E degree
>80k$ job i start tomorrow
>20k$ sign on bonus
>had a whopping 3.1 GPA but multiple internships and i nailed the interview

feels fuckin' good man. gonna crush my relatively small amount of student debt and try to buy a house in the next year. maybe even get around to getting a gf, who knows.

EE.

I'm happy for you user. Keep it up.

>happiness
>in the XXI century
hoo boy

My man. Have fun!

I'm in EE for my undegrad, but I'm a returning student who started out in philosophy/linguistics/math because I didn't know what I wanted to do. so my additional credits puts me somewhere around EE with minors in math, CS, and philosophy/linguistics. Although I don't think I'm allowed to have three minors so I have no idea how this'll go down when I graduate.

I'm considering pursuing a math grad degree or possibly moving towards CS for my master's. While I enjoy engineering and it makes me employable I think I'm most passionate about higher level math and in particular computer science. So I've been hedging my curriculum in that direction.

Yes there is, but I find math, physics, and computer science all very enjoyable. Working with them as the job part of my would be more fulfilling than any other viable option I can think of(I don't want to end up a code monkey though). So I'm interested, as someone who doesn't come from a rich family, in which one has the best financial outlook.

program i'm in is just for a bsch in science, i'm supposed to specialize down the road

i kind of like physics, but geology and chemistry are also interesting.

I basically have a few points of interest as far as long-term scientific goals:
>development of a manafacturing method for a synthetic alternative combustible fuel source, preferably one that would make space travel more feasible
>developing a more viable method of creating genericized geothermal energy plants in order to solve the energy crisis
>developing a way to help people survive on other planets

do CS for undergrad.

look man, code monkeying is a part of paying your dues when you get out into the work force. you are going to do it for a couple years until you are no longer considered an FNG. ideally you pick up other skills along the way and move out of the code monkey role, unfortunately there are a fuck ton of shitters who stagnate into cubicle drones and perpetuate the code monkey stigma attached to CS. the man makes the position, the position doesn't make the man.

with that being said, CS will get your foot in the door with a good company. after that, do your masters in w/e you want. you aren't going to be touching high level shit without a masters anyways. getting the degree just puts you at lvl 1 in the game.

Physics with a minor in phil

Can I get my foot in the cs door with a math degree? Assuming I know how to code.

can you? yeah. but you better have a resume full of coding projects to show you know what the fuck you are doing. CS screams "i can make you money", math is a bit more abstract and you are going to have to lean on internships and personal projects a whole helluva lot more. get the CS undergrad, take math electives and set yourself up for a masters in math. i know undergrad seems like a huge investment, but its really just the tip of the iceberg in terms of your career, both in industry and academia. do the "for sure" thing, don't gamble because you are young and idealistic. i know i sound like a real drag right now, but its an investment in your future.

/dadspeech

Where did I imply I didn't like any of those things, or find them to be an inconvenience?

I happen to love EE and all of my classes

You won't get very far with that stick up your ass, user

Psychological Sciences
Switched from math because I enjoyed the neuroscience courses.

Regret it though, anyway I can get into a math masters program?

I figured you were some math or physics major who was shitting on engineering for the meme value. Carry on, then.

Thanks for the advice man.

Do math for undergrad. A couple of coding electives/github projects and it qualifies you for all the usual starter IT jobs just as well. The main benefit is that it majorly helps with analytical thinking and keeps your options open. Should you decide to switch to something else besides IT - math is a much better starting point both in terms of universally applicable knowledge and as a line in your CV. As for financial outlook you should research both your options and your desires carefully. Investment bankers swim in cash, but they also work 80-100 hour weeks for years and have virtually no life outside mind-numbingly boring work. Academics have a relatively relaxed lifestyle and freedom of choice in topics they work on (adjusted for funding), but aren't particularly well-off, often have to build their life around their career and only few win the tenure lottery. In between there's a whole range of different combinations of hours/salary/interest. It should be noted though, that very few jobs in the industry are interesting in terms of someone ""truly"" passionate about science. Aside from bleeding edge in big tech and some autistic quantative jobs in finance anything you do will almost always be more boring than research and the competition everywhere is fierce. Lastly, you should consider that very few get rich by being an employee and plan for entrepreneurship sometime in the future (build capital and connections). Now that I'm done with sanctimonious rambling a tldr:
Math is the best undergrad - do it if you have the balls and brains and want to have a range of options in career choice.
CS is good undergrad - do it if you're sure you want to pursue a career in CS, transitioning is pretty hard and you will almost invariably be doing something close to CS.
Physics is a pretty shit undergrad as far as job market goes - do it if you're very passionate about physics and want to be a researcher or already have a very specific job that requires it in mind.

BS in Psychology with a minor in Medical Anthropology and Public Health

Senior in Chemical Engineering. I have completed the coursework for a minor in math and in chemistry.

I graduated top 5% in my class in Mechanical Engineering from a top school in Canada and then I'm thinking of maybe doing a Masters or Ph.D in Aerospace Engineering with a specific focus on computational fluid dynamics, reacting flows and propulsion or advanced algorithm development and computational aerodynamics.

Investment bankers go to elite private schools and receive a proper liberal arts education; the STEM guy will be a code monkey for most of his career. In careers that require people skills the smooth talking Ivy Leaguer will dominate.

>the STEM guy will be a code monkey for most of his career.

yeah man, those STEM guys just end up being code monkeys.

I'm at a fairly elite liberal arts school and taking some liberal arts electives. Do you think I could get into investment banking? I don't want to work 80 hours my whole life where do people go from there?

reporting in

Where did you apply for grad school?

Banking, advertising, entertainment are where you want to be. Learn to be Shakespeare like when speaking. You want to be like this guy the Harvard/Oxford man running Disney/ABC Entertainment.

thewaltdisneycompany.com/leaders/ben-sherwood/

Or Harvard/UPenn at NBC Universal
corporate.comcast.com/news-information/leadership-overview/cesar-conde-2

Study these bios; lots of elite school lib arts majors.
pimco.com/en-us/our-firm/firm-leadership

Nearly a quarter of my math class went into IB and are fairly successful. I'm working in management consulting and we have more science grads than liberal arts majors. Your TV gossip tier understanding of career paths isn't really helping people who look for actually good advice.

>mathematics, minor in computer science
fixed

>Pure Math and Linguistics.
Not bad. I never considered such a pair. Seems comfy desu

Your question is pointless, considering you provide no background. Bankers usually stay and get into upper management or change towards private equity/asset management. Lurk efinancialcareers for more info.

Very good pair. I would seriously consider them myself if I could do it all over.

>Aeronautical engineering
I'm worried because most in the field tend to get aeroSPACE degrees. I'm not sure if it matters much.
t. freshman

lmao man sydney ?

>he thinks a masters present in nearly every math department everywhere is exclusive to one city

Civil aviation is in dead-end. You're going to be designing more efficient weapons of mass destruction. Congrats.

Nice
If you had to ask you should be an engineer
Nice
Eh
Meme
Barf
Shit tier
Gay
Both shit
Great tier
Shit
You can't fool me
Nice
Braindead tier
Utter-sub-shit meme tier
You must be a really awful biochemist
Cool
You won't do well
Fantastic tier
Good for you, still gay
Shit
Schizophrenia/10
Actual brainlet
Shit combo
Shit
Shit
Cool
Do it
Enjoy weapons testing

>it's another retarded autismo thinks anyone cares about his edgy opinions episode
How does the self-awareness not strike you halfway through typing that garbage?

MechE

I'm probably going to hate it and find it boring/tedious but I like money and having a job

Well I already contracted to be in the military for 4 years so that's a foregone conclusion.

Your projections are highly indicative of your insecurities my young one. I shitpost therefore I am, faggot. If you're not here for the laughs you're doing it wrong.

You absolute edgelord piece of shit. I bet you're in 1st or 2nd year math and think you are a philosopher king. You haven't realised mathematicians aren't actually the masterrace you thought them to be yet.

>I shitpost therefore I am
There was no doubt your life is nothing but shitposting.
>If you're not here for the laughs you're doing it wrong.
So stop doing it wrong then. Fuck off to plebbit and see if anyone cares about your ebin oneliners there.

no UC Santa Barbara

>projections

>Being this easily offended
skin so thin you can see right through

comp sci, thinking about minoring in astrophysics. I have no idea why

Accounting

Im also majoring in psychology and a minor in history however I think Im going to change my minor to philosophy

What school? Or what country/area?

either applied math or math-econ, I haven't decided yet

Chemical engineering, but this autumn I'm switching to either physics or math, depending on if I get accepted into the physics program or not.

CS

>Inorganic Chemistry PhD studies
>crippling stress
>extreme dependence on alcohol
>occasional wonder if there is a job in my field waiting for me after 5-6 years here

I was having a ton of fun here until about a month ago. now I literally feel like I'm going to throw up when I start the week on Monday. the only thing that keeps me going is that im deeply interested in my project.

what it is with phd students and all their whining

the ones i see at my uni are all chill and shit

>the ones i see at my uni are all chill and shit
No user, they are just pretending

lol, maybe in public

>realise I'm not smart enough to be here
>Panics
>Proceeds to hentai board

do enlighten a pleb undergrad like me then

what is it that is so stressful about a phd

can't be worse than a fucking job?

Suck my dick autistic mathfag

Marine Engineering & Technology

Not a usual choice for people on this board, but it offers a nice middle ground between something I want to do and some sort of employability.

Also allows me to live in a comfy seaside city during study time with access to SCUBA and related qualifications

math/cs joint
i'll be taking pure math electives but if i don't smell good academia opportunities i'm bailing for software

What's the STEM meme?

can't decide between physics and math, holy shit is it hard to choose

Global Thermonuclear Warfare.

same

all of the above

pampered academic babbies confirmed BTFO

>I have to work full time waaaa

PhD student in a computational chemistry lab.

They're chill because the only time you see them are when they are TAing you, grading, or something along those lines, which is basically a vacation from the actual research.

not guy, but some places word majors uniquely

that sounds fuckin dope