You guys complete your reading challenge for Goodreads in 2016?

You guys complete your reading challenge for Goodreads in 2016?

>set goal of 30 books
>only read 15 before coming back home from dad's house in Florida
>It's December 20th
>try to pad my "read this year" by sitting around Barnes and Noble in the kids section reading as many books as I can find, like Gary Paulson, Shiloh books, etc.
>3 YA novellas from the library
>24 books total by December 31st

Trying to get a head start this year on novellas so that come December I can really assess how many long novels I want to read so I don't end up in a similar situation.

Oh, and I'm reading 40 this year, I hope.

I wanted to read 50, but I only finished 33. I am aiming for 60 this year, already finished 2.

We're all gonna make it.

Had 50 down for '16, did 77. I put 60 for this year, and so far have completed 0.

Since books vary so considerably in length, a better metric would be to set a goal of pages read or something.

Books have also different font sizes, so words would be a better metric

An even better metric would be to actually do something productive, like writing something you get paid for or publishing scientific articles.

It really baffles me that reading books is now considered a major achievement in itself...

Sounds ridiculous, user. Why didn't you just face the oncoming tidal wave and accept defeat like a man?

I've set 30 books as my goal for 2017. 2.5 books a month sounds doable as long as I continue not to have a job.

Words have different lengths, so letters would be a better metric.

Do we count punctuation marks, too? Those also contribute to Meaning.

>22 of 10

Now I have 35 as my goal. I suppose three books a month will not be too much.

aimed for 50, got 51

Why would you set an arbitrary number of books to read then pad it out with shit because you didn't fill your quota?

It's hard to set abstract goals like "Read X number of books" because they vary in length.

My goal was a book a week, I read 40. This year the same, I just finished the first one and I am trying to decide on the second book of the year.

I just like to have some sort of "goal" in whatever I do. The goal itself doesn't matter a whole lot; it just helps in keeping my hobbies as regular habits, which tends to be the best way for hobbies to be. I need to shame myself for forgetting about things such as art, otherwise I will do so... I can get by just by talking online, eating delicious food and drinking delicious drinks; but life is much better if I keep on appreciating art and so on.

22 out of a propose 40. The thing is that if I deliberately chose to read shorter books I could've easily passed my goal, but I didn't let the challenge influence what I chose to read so I ended up reading some long, difficult works.

I don't use Goodreads because it doesn't serve as any sort of hard motivator for me to read. Instead I clear myself at least an hour's space at the end of my night and try to tackle down fifty page's worth to the end of the chapter. Some nights I read beyond this (I just started Jonathan Franzen's Freedom tonight and I stopped at the second part) and there are some few nights where I read under my usual limit and then read to catch up the next day. It means I don't stress myself out for trying to reach an arbitrary book limit and take time to actually think about and make notes on what I'm reading, without sacrificing a decent pace or falling into a major lull of procrastination.

Got 35 last year, going for 20 this year because it's going to be busy. It's a weird way of counting though, Magic Mountain took me 2 months while Waiting for Godot was like half an hour.

Yeah, its better to not treat these "x books" challenges all that literally.

For me they actually work though as I read plenty of non-fiction and a lot of that non-fiction is short as heck (

Do you guys count academic texts for university? If I have to work through problem books on mathematics I feel I have gained something mentally from finishing them and count them

My goal was 100, I read 140.

>new year's resolution includes being a neet

at least you're not setting the bar too high

I try to read. I am very bad at reading casually. I suppose I should set a goal to understand something so it wouldn't be so casual.

Didn't take part in 2016. Funnily enough, it was the first year I would've made that 100 book goal I always set. My 2016 tag has 139 entries at Library Thing.

How do I drive Library Thing it is a fucking excel sheet in terms of design

It can be confusing at first, but I do prefer it to Goodreads now that I've gotten used to it.

I still use Goodreads on the side, but mostly because I hope one day Amazon decides to implement a better recommendations algorithm with all the in-house dev skill they now have.

I don't know how you fags read less than 40 novels every year. You'll hit that number if you spend 30 minutes of your day before bed reading.

It's fucking hard. I'm shitposting on Veeky Forums, playing 12 hours of dota2, watching 1-2 films, going to gym, where do I read?

Just kill yourself.

I got 31 out of 52. A book a week was a pretty arbitrary goal because I was just starting to get into reading last year so I didn't know what was realistic. This year I'm going for 40.

No. Mostly because I kept on reading long fucking history books (800-1000 pages).

The hell? How?

I'm not him but I also read over a hundred books last year, we're just smarter than you.

>Gary Paulson, Shiloh books
Damn OP. You made some good memories flood back.

:(

Do you have a good reads profile?

>set goal of 30 for 2016
>read 29
>finished what would have been the 30th on new year's day
I would have read at least 40, but intro to IR kicked my ass. And I read a lot of stuff in a foreign language, too.

I hit 45. Was hoping for 50, but then I got a full-time job...

52. Read 75