Is this true for writers as well?

Is this true for writers as well?

This isn't true for anyone.

Pure ideology

Also, fuck off with these shitty threads

No, it's not really true at all. If your sense of purpose is, say, asceticism, it'll make you far less likely to be rich.

...Huh?

Fuck this "follow ur dreams" bullshit society.

Having meaning allows one to handle suffering like a motherfucker, I'll tell you that much.

Too bad life has no purpose. /edge

The problem is the dreams itself

Obviously. More likely doesn't mean a definite happening sperg fucks

Exactly.

I'm going to be a girl!

P E R T H
E
R
T
H

kind of off topic but

this is the first time i've seen an image about finding your sense of purpose and getting rich and the person in it isn't smiling

you just kind of expect them to smile because purpose and wealth are supposed to make you happy. i don't know what is supposed to be happening here. has this girl found her sense of wealth and purpose and is now on the way to being happy? if so why is she not happy? if she has not found purpose and wealth yet, then she's probably looking for it. but again, why not look at it with joy. not like someone who for all i know found their purpose and joy in being a professional assassin and is about to shank me in the eyes

is she looking at us because we're supposed to provide that purpose? in that case the assassin angle checks out. is she looking at us to tell us to find our purpose or because we project onto her and go, okay, my purpose involves poker-faced chinese girls or whatever and wood paneling

the fucking things i think about

She realized the purpose of her life was making iphones in a sweatshop.

ok but that's not likely to make her get rich tho

if the purpose of her life was to make someone else make iphones in a sweatshop, that i might understand. or to sell phones made in a sweatshop in wood panelled boardrooms where she makes deals so soul-destroying that it leaves her feeling totally empty inside

i admit that the caption makes no reference to happiness. i guess that's what it it is. it has purpose, get rich, but doesn't actually say these things will make you happy. it's true, they really don't, but we usually expect them to.

what's the point of finding your purpose and being rich if you're not happy? what if being happy meant looking for your purpose and not being rich, but being poor and fucking stupid

>tfw poor and fucking stupid

whatever tho. it's not about me. the image is more interesting. are the chinese just wealth obsessed. is this what happens

>ok but that's not likely to make her get rich tho

Rich in comparison to mainland peasants boiling dogs alive to have something to eat.

Of course it's true, retard.

it's p grim but kind of interesting still. I fantasize about purpose and wealth too but I do it in a completely stupid and narcissistic way like a romantic

but maybe that's something we do in the west because deep down we still believe in providence

maybe purpose helps you get rich but neither of these will stop you from hating yourself. I don't know. I don't think I'll be rich

>pure ideology

that's what I'm saying. I've read lots of Zizek and the one thing he says is Enjoy, you must Enjoy

there's no Enjoy here. that's what i find so interesting

my neurosis & reverse narcissism knows no bounds. but still tho this looks more like ideology-scrambling than ideology itself

just my brainlet two cents

I could be wrong but I think what they're going for with the picture is a portrayal of determination. Otherwise it's just fucking weird.

If your end goal is "getting rich", you are extremely unlikely to have a sense of purpose.

You're also WAY overthinking this shit.

Find a purpose in life, work towards it, there will be happiness.

Purpose alone is it's own goal. Riches, whether physical or spiritual or whatever, are way more likely to follow.

Nobody who has a real purpose even really thinks about getting rich from it, they want to pursue it, and that's it. They're more likely to get rich in a monetary sense, just because they're motivated and willing to do the work, and even enjoy doing it, but riches is never the goal.

I think you're right and it's just a weird photo because it's so neutral. we do see determination but there are no other clues to tell us anything about our mysterious maybe-sweatshop-owning/icepick assassin/twentysometingish heroine. total enigma

humans are ridiculous aren't they. all this makes me realize how dependent i am on the things I criticize or think about. I need signs to be explicit so that I can criticize them for being fake and obvious and constructed but the fact is without that fakeness I literally don't know what to think

i wish Baudrillard were here

p much. im pretty much a lost cause in that regard. just having fun with ideology on the way to what should be a pretty good nervous breakdown and a career bagging groceries or sleeping in my own filth at the library

>writer
>getting rich
You'd have similar luck playing the lottery

so you shouldn't play the lottery?

Wrong.

We have arrived at a point where portraying happiness with the idea of wealth is unnecessary.

This has happened through a slow process.

First we were in a position where you shunned wealth in favor of your own self and ultimate happiness through delayed gratification.

Then we pursued wealth because it would make it easier for us to be happy.

Then we pursued wealth because it would make us happy.

Then we made the pursuit of wealth happiness by itself.

And finally we have replaced happiness with wealth. As we have built up our idol of wealth, it is not necessary that we are even happy because wealth supersedes happiness in our consciousness. You don't have to be happy but you NEED to have wealth.

I agree with this.

nobody knows how to be happy with wealth because everything will just be a pointless status meme. but you know wealth insulates you from what you can be certain will make you unhappy, which is flipping burgers (and those jobs are now going to be done with robots)

having wealth means I think that you can choose to defer to be happy until later. if Z is right and Enjoy means you can't be happy now, but we also know that stupid narcissistic romanticism - good in poverty, but self-deceptive - means you also know that you won't be happy later (because you know your fantasies never happen)...

then the place to be is somewhere in the middle where you don't have to confront the fact that

a) you can't be happy now
b) you won't be happy later

you can only *maybe be sort of happy someday.* wealth gives you the option to contemplate.

I always thought that in a weird way, wealth gives you "the right to remain silent" which is something we associate with cops. but it has another meaning. it means you don't have to say Yes (trap), No (bullshit), or Maybe (cynicism) to pleasure. Instead you can just say nothing and be silent and be left alone

I'm a pseud tho and I'm really just sort of thinking out loud

also those terms of deferral really are your own choice. you have the freedom, in other words, not to be compelled to make up your own mind

you acquire the mysterious pleasure that comes from browsing self-help books or clickbait articles that you know you don't have to take seriously but might have something for you

you are free to defer and disobey infinite tautological commands to be happy because reasons, not be happy because reasons, or reasons in general. because reasons are themselves the problem.

if consumer culture was not not founded on happiness we wouldn't be here. but of course it has to be that way because it is essentially a fun house for narcissists and the only thing really worth searching for in it is the exit door and all of the souvenirs are hand-crafted by demons and zombies. outside there is something called reality I suppose. but it's really just more fun houses offering escapes that aren't escapes at all but passion plays for passionless consumers who do not realize they are in private hells of their own creation

a mind cannot really be made up. or maybe it's just mine that can't because I broke something in there by reading too much theory

that's a deranged rant tho and has nothing to do with OPs question

>but you know wealth insulates you from what you can be certain will make you unhappy, which is flipping burgers

Has it ever occurred to you, that some people actually find work that they enjoy?

Nobody is asking you to flip burgers for the rest of your life, but at the same time nobody is going to hold your faggy little hand and guide you to happiness. It's expected that you find your own way.

of course that has occurred to me

I'm way beyond asking anyone to hold my faggy little hand. people should find work that they enjoy. i have flipped a great many burgers also and fact is I sometimes had fun too. mainly because I was drunk. and naive. i didn't really think about stuff then. now i think too much

the fact is i think philosophy itself is overrated, esp critical philosophy. people want a way to live. it doesn't necessarily mean they have to be happy or fulfilled. finding purpose is the purpose of finding purpose

I just think happiness is a trap. it's why that picture was interesting. purpose, ok, wealth, ok. but not necessarily big smiles

i overthink stuff as a hobby. but i also think humans are more alike than different and mostly think/feel/desire the same things & maybe even in the same ways

how do i into happiness
this question I think cannot be answered with thinking. not thinking is where it's at maybe

Am I still banned?