Stop reading hegel

stop reading hegel

Other urls found in this thread:

marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/help/introduc.htm
naturalthinker.net/trl/texts/Hegel,G.W.F/Hegel,_G.W.F._-_The_Phenomenology_Of_Mind.pdf
thinkphilosophy.org/uploads/6/1/0/9/6109978/hegel_-_phenomenology_of_spirit.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Once you read Schoppy and then spend a few years reading other philosophy, you come to realize the guy was really limited and dumb.

But he introduced the Upanishads and similar Indian concepts to Europe

he did but weirdly they didn't seem to make him less fucking crusty about everything. he was still hung up on art and suffering without actually going full brahman

kind of a compromised place to be. hating the world of will and representation and being essentially given a guidebook that says all things are one but not going there. he could have written a cool book on the Upanishads but instead he wrote shitty things about women and people less intelligent than him

schopenhauer had a keys-to-the-kingdom calibre brain and the good fortune to discover eastern mysticism. and with all that he managed to die in his living room with his poodle probably feeling compromised in ways he couldn't even understand and maybe dimly intimating that only a divinely inspired madman could draw the conclusions he was going to leave alone because reasons

interesting guy as super-smart critics are but still

Way ahead of you. I stopped reading all philosophers. And then all Germans, just to be safe.

lol try reading 'On Women'. The deepest philosophy ever written. Changed my life

>not reading Germans
you made the right choice desu

stop reading schopenhauer

Schopenhauer is pathetic. He talks so much about how compassion is the only basis of morality and then he's one of the most narcissistic, selfish, and uncompassionate figures in the history of philosophy. Obviously people noticed this dissonance in his lifetime, and his only reply was "In general, it is a strange demand on a moralist that he should commend no other virtue than that which he himself possesses." Quaint, but stupid. It's not a strange demand at all, because morals are exactly the guidelines for what *should* be done. The hypocrisy remains, regardless of whatever excuse he gives for it.

yes. this

I disagree. Whether or not philosophers are capable of adhering to their system is irrelevant to the merits of the system, and there isn't really any connection between a system being poor or good and the philosopher not being able to follow it.

yes and you fool ? he would call himself a bad person and not morally sound .

still right about compassion though .

>hegel is so bad cuz ehm uhm Schopenhauer don't like him and emmm I can't understand what he's saying cuz I'm too stupid where are the edgy phrases wait what? Do I need some good philosophical background? lol shit I just read three books of philosohpy in my entire life xD

Hegel is one of the greatest philosophers of History while Schopenhauer is a mediocre hack for edgy teenagers.

Now fuck off. Get out of Veeky Forums.

not that user but

so he creates a theory of morality and compassion that allows him the right to accuse both himself and everyone else of failing to follow through on it?

what's the point of setting up a theory of morality that is proven by always giving the author the freedom to say in the end, well, yes, obviously I'm a bad person too. you didn't realize that? lol what a dunce

why fucking do it at all then. total lack of self-awareness. this is the problem with schopenhauer. it would be okay if he actually himself played by the rules that he expected everyone to play by. but if in the end after all of that he can still say he breaks his own rules and that therefore this proves his theory right - how the fuck does that even skew with his own principles?

he's fucking Diogenes in a three-piece suit except he's not even looking for the honest man at night. he's staying at home and fucking looking at his dog

yes and he is known for being a sad, petty and angry man that looks at his dog .

so whats your problem.as the ubanishads teach you become a how you act and he acted wrong and lived a lonely live

>stop reading
stopped reading there

wasnt that max muller?

schopenhauer almost certainly did not read sanskrit

>Hegel is one of the greatest philosophers of History
Why, what is it that makes him this colossal figure towering over history? Hegel was no Napoleon, Hegel was no Plato. As far as I can see his only influence remaining are the marxists, who delight in using his cold and insincere system for their use and then refuse his ideas vehemently on all else.

At least Schopenhauer was sincere in his writings. A person who reads Schopenhauer is reading him because he is interested in Schopenhauer, and not to read one of the greatest philosophers of History and excel those edgy teenagers who have just read three philosophy books in their entire lives.

Reminder that his mother was a big slut and would fuck guys in front of him.

You read right. Schopenahuer was cucked by his own mom.

Now you understand why he's an anti-natalist.

No
*sniff*

>Hegel

No thanks.

my problem is what that user pointed out, that schopenhauer was being a hypocrite. you called that user a fool but I agreed with him and I explained why. if we are now agreeing then there is no problem

because you're right too. the Upanishads do teach you how to act but schopenhauer not only didn't really seem to follow those rules, he didn't even follow the rules that he set up himself for westerners who hadn't read them. he accused his readers of doing things he himself did while having some obvious alternative at hand in the Upanishads but he didn't even do that either. he didn't do fucking anything except shit on people. granted, in a completely fucking brilliant way. I've read P&P and his essays and some not all of WWR. I do like him. but some stuff about him irks me. maybe because it reminds me of myself. obv not the genius parts. the stupid parts. that's really all

whoa. is that true?

ya I would like a source on this pls

>us alternative at hand in the Upanishads but he didn't even do that either. he didn't do fucking anything except shit on people. granted

yeah its not like I agree with the OP but i dont see that big a problem with being the hypocrite whiner . its just how some people act and its not like schopenhauer was a like a streethug raping people and stealing shoes

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class at the University of Tübingen, and I've been involved in some serious ontology. I am trained in dialectical warfare and I am the top dialectician of all German philosphers. I will wipe you the fuck out with some serious post-Kantian idealism, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of Hegelian sorcerers across the world and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, caveman. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can destroy your entire philosophical system in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in the ancient philosophy of the Greeks, but I have access to the entire arsenal of German Idealism and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

10/10

Do you the other version of this pasta?

I'm judging Schopenhauer as a person, not his system per se, and in any case, it's not irrelevant. Should we really trust such a weak-willed and capricious person to make informed judgments about the world? Schopenhauer's jealousy runs so deep that he literally can't stop talking about it--when he wants to talk about the principle of sufficient reason he talks about Hegel instead. It's one thing to say that we should ignore biographical details as a methodological norm, but in that case we still have a ton of evidence of his unreliability right in the corpus of "Schopenhauer's works" as I've just mentioned earlier.

she wouldnt literally fuck dudes in front of him but yeah she was a big slut and schopenhauer hated it

any biography of his will mention it

and of course stirner was a cuckold and fine with it etc

just stick with aristotle

that's actually p interesting. it kind of reminds me that philosophers as nietzsche says are talking about the world but at the same time really only talking about themselves also. there's no way to get around it

it's the same for literature too. melville or tolkien or mccarthy or sophocles or dante or whoever aren't technically philosophers but we register their work as Great because it explains 'the world' in a sense but also because as gardner says fiction sets up a set of rules and then plays by those rules all the way to the end. almost like a piece of music

i think many philosophers are also interestingly failed artists too. nietzsche's music. Heidegger's poetry. nick lands fiction. plato's plays. baudrillard's photography. whatever other example. failed art leads to philosophy and maybe also that's why so much philosophy leads to failure, criticism, recursiveness, etc. don't quote me on this too heavily tho. just idea salad basically

philosophers are always in a context. I forget this sometimes. I get sucked in to their big heads but they were just fucked-up people too

There is a clear break of before and after Hegel that can never be undone.

>He was the last idealist metaphysician and the first post·metaphysical historicist

what do you think caused it? the french revolution? napoleon? industrial revolution? all of it? something else?

I've heard people say this about schelling, that it is during his intellectual development as a writer that you can actually see this happening in his work. i don't know now, I havnt read those guys so much

schiller belongs to a whole other age. the world just seems like a different place when you read him. maybe goethe too. holderlin went nuts thinking about it. obv nietzsche did too

Schopenhaure's thought resulted in Wagner's operas, Nietzsche's philosophy, and literature like Borges.

Hegel gave us Marx and works of modern prose like Anti-Oedipus.

aristotle wasnt a failure, accomplished a lot as a biologist and had healthy relations with friends and family

Schopenhauer is the real deal, all your philosophers tries too hard to defend an optimistic reality that does not exist.

>we really trust such a weak-willed and capricious person to make informed judgments about the world
Yeah fuk logikz and hsiet my niggus

>tfw to dumb to read hegel
are there any works or websites that give a good account of hegel?

Is this reverse psychology to make people read him? 'Cos that's all that's going to happen.

It was a shitpost, and I knew it was going to facilitate discussion on schoopy.

you've clearly never read him. stop pretending right goddamn now.

>he wrote shitty things about women and people less intelligent than him

this has been the misconception of him for fucking YEARS. every translator and commentator, from Payne to Magee to Janaway, all of them preface their introductions with "you've probably heard that he hates women and was a cranky old man"

they need to do this because assholes who HAVEN'T READ HIS WORK are scared of truth, or too lazy to seek it, so they avoid his work based on Wiki articles

>narcissistic, selfish, and uncompassionate

provide one example of Schopenhauer exhibiting each of these behaviors or else you are WRONG

disagreeing with someone =/= immoral

marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/help/introduc.htm

Wtf I actually without irony dislike Hegel now

stop reading Hegel, kiss poodles

it's true. if you're looking at aesthetics team schopenhauer beats team hegel all day

hegelian dialectics may be a more complex way of looking at history & politics than schopenhauer, but the scho doesn't really gaf about politics & that's why we like him. he gets that life is dark and meaningless and having a giant brain only makes you more aware of this

>tfw i wish i had a giant brain so i could feel more patrician about being a misanthrope
>tfw to brainlet to be consistently depressed or consistently happy
>tfw you realize philosophy was never intended for people like you anyways tho
>tfw you suddenly realize how wonderful life could be by embracing the inner tao of stupid
>tfw all i know is that i know nothing except that i am a fucking bonehead
>tfw etta james_at last.mp3

SEVERELY underrated post

stop reading pessimists and idealists.

Deleuze fucking hated Hegel though, so much he wouldn't even mention him by name. He purposefully tried to excise Hegel as much as possible.

He's much more aligned with Schopenhauer and Nietzsche asshole.

BAN WHITEHEAD NOW

Bitches don't know about my causal efficacy.

>he gets that life is dark and meaningless and having a giant brain only makes you more aware of this

>tfw too smart for pessimism.

>>Whitehead

lmao dumb anglos

>tfw too Nazi for Heidegger.

No one cares about your shitty anglo philosophy. Get your Scientism out of here.

>Sloterdijk
>the guy who completely mis-read both Nietzsche and me

dumb empiricists, go back to your british island

stop thinking transcendentally

STOP READING LENIN

My advice for you.

jesus christ hegel is one of the most studied philosophers at the academic level outside of plato and kant

oh wait i forgot this is Veeky Forums, the worst place in the world to talk about actual philosophy

>my feelings are confirmations of what actually goes on outside my bedroom

stop totalizing marxist theory

stop doing philosophy

stop eating from the trashcan

stop being vitalists.

stop trying to step in the same river twice

just stop

stop believe motion is actually real

don't stop believing

stop denying friend/enemy distinction

stop being sane

Stop looking at shadows

stop compromising your desire

stop looking away from the desert

Stop looking into the sun

>and of course stirner was a cuckold and fine with it etc
But what's the point here. If he honestly was fine with his (suggamommy) wife fucking around, that's pretty nice.
You, on the other hand, exhibit a spook with your supposed insult - but let's not go there.

but his point is that there is no state free of ideology, no non-ideology

People say this sort of thing about Nietzsche too. Do you think philosophy is supposed to give you super powers or something?

The world is still the world and people still ultimately die alone.

Stop

God bless, no one should have to subject themselves to the Phenomenology. I swear to God it's incomprehensible by anyone but savants.

If I don't philosophize, I shall never know how far a flea jumps, or where my other roly-poly person is, or how to find my dick under the covers...

Hegel is nothing but brainwashing via buzzwords.

Hegel's deathcount is probably largest of any person in the world.

Extremely destructive writings.

Watch Gregory Sadler on Hegel plebs

Anyone got a PDF to Phenemology of the Spirit in English?

Yes but I don't want to get arrested

naturalthinker.net/trl/texts/Hegel,G.W.F/Hegel,_G.W.F._-_The_Phenomenology_Of_Mind.pdf

is this a good translation?

thinkphilosophy.org/uploads/6/1/0/9/6109978/hegel_-_phenomenology_of_spirit.pdf

Oh, sweet ty.

im a paid bull and i can tell you I have never met a couple where the man is totally okay with being cuckolded or completely comfortable lending his wife to me. They are utter subservient heel slime.

Would you people recommend reading the Cambridge Companion to Hegel together with Phenemenology of the Spirit?

Because he wasn't a philosopher.
He was more on par with what you find in the East.

You just love stroking your intellectual dick, which is hardly functional to life itself.

>jesus christ hegel is one of the most studied philosophers at the academic level outside of plato and kant

You seem to have missed this part:

>A person who reads Schopenhauer is reading him because he is interested in Schopenhauer, and not to read one of the greatest philosophers of History and excel those edgy teenagers who have just read three philosophy books in their entire lives.

cringe

Bieser is one of the go to guys for Hegel, so yes. His other book on Hegel is good also

Thanks. Reading Phenomenology straightforward seemd really hard. I think it's very confusing to say the least, I mean it's hard to tell where the "it" and other stuff refers to in the translation..

This made me think. What with dialectical materialism being the antithesis to the absolute spirit, aren't we still waiting on the synthesis? What might that look like?

It's A.I.

>STOP identifying with an unobtainable other which doesn't comprise your desire anyways