Losers becoming winners

Are there any scientists/engineers out there that became great after a long period of being losers?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Smale
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No.

what is winning?

if its: Money, fame, relationships

you already lost

depends what you mean by long period but
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Smale

>Smale entered the University of Michigan in 1948.[3][4] Initially, he was a good student, placing into an honors calculus sequence taught by Bob Thrall and earning himself A's. However, his sophomore and junior years were marred with mediocre grades, mostly Bs, Cs and even an F in nuclear physics. However, with some luck, Smale was accepted as a graduate student at the University of Michigan's mathematics department. Yet again, Smale performed poorly in his first years, earning a C average as a graduate student. It was only when the department chair, Hildebrandt, threatened to kick Smale out that he began to work hard.[5] Smale finally earned his Ph.D. in 1957, under Raoul Bott.

>He was awarded the Fields Medal in 1966

He sounds like more of a slacker than someone who was legitimately trying and failing.

underachievers are losers

Tesla is actually one of the best examples.

dude was a draft dodger that spent a few years living in the woods and then he had that gig as a ditch digger for Edison for a while.

'Wizard' is a pretty good biography and a total underdog story.

elon musk started as a cs guy and ended up making cars and rockets

einstein graduated college but couldn't get any recommendations from his professors because he was a lazy student. he was unemployed for a long time before he got a job in a patent office through friends.

it's not hard to imagine him having a harder time finding work and never accomplishing anything in his life.

what do you expect?
If you are already trying your hardest and failing then by definition you won't become better.
You are already doing your best, and your best simply isn't enough.
What could happen to make such a person successful so suddenly? A magical change in his brain perhaps?

Wasn't Darwin someone who hated school and academic work before visiting Galapagos?

I'm working on it

Most of 'em were children for a while. Does that count?

Damn, young Einstein was kind of foxy

His degree is in physics.

>Are there any scientists/engineers out there that became great after a long period of being losers?

i have really struggled with whether and how to respond to this. The execution of this message was very nice and respectful, and I genuinely appreciate that. The premise, however, is problematic. Maybe not inherently, but within the context of the sexist society we live in. Men are allowed, and often feel compelled, to think out loud at women, to share unsolicited not necessarily informed thoughts at women. (And usually these men, unlike you, don’t even seem to recognize that their thoughts may not be useful.) Women on the other hand aren’t allowed to be as open. So, if you want to not just be respectful, but actually be anti-oppression, it is better (IMO) not to respond to a woman’s work with the types of thoughts that other men pawn off as insights, if you know what i mean. again, i appreciate your honesty, but i feel obligated to point these things out.

how can I tell if I'm a slacker or if my best just isnt enough?

Stop slacking and if you're still shit then you're shit

What are you talking about? Exactly?

>implying the great would still visit this undergrad board after becoming great

10/10

He wasn't.

A lot of luck, probably

The guy who invented the microwave

how do i stop slacking?

i think i need to be threatened with being kicked out like that other guy

change of focus ?

you need to have goals and be self-motivated.

it's easy to slouch in academia if you're only going because "it's the right thing to do" or "I need to get my degree or else"

if you are personally self-motivated then you will want to succeed because success is the next step forward towards your goal.

This. Sounds cliche but it's pretty accurate.

The valedictorian at my high school was in remedial classes all throughout middle school. He got his shit together in high school and graduated valedictorian. Went on to college, and was accepted into medical school. I asked him what happened and he said he found a purpose and goal in life.

I know it's just one anecdote, but I know a couple people like that. I'm actually the opposite, I did well and was motivated by a goal first two years, then realized my goal wasn't all it was cracked up to being, and my grades dropped the next two years. I'm now currently repairing my mistakes, but it's important to make the same mistakes as me.

I was like this too. I got my shit together and achieved my goals but it turns out... I didn't feel any different. And now I'm stuck in a strenuous program with insane workload and no motivation. I'm already 3/4 way through despite fucking up so many times... I just have to finish it.

8==D

this pasta needs to stop

No. Losers typically drop out of university because getting into university and continuing to be a no-life loser sucks out all the motivation they need to keep going right out of them.

>Spoken like a true pretentiousfag who is buttmad that underachievers spend all their time on their own research instead of trying to impress their plebby peers with pleb shit.

And how much physics did he utilize when he cofounded paypal?

Stephen Smale.

Everyone is a loser until he's a winner.

>what is winning?
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women

>everywhere I go, I must "muh vagina"

>their own research
kek
masturbating and playing video games does not count as research, user

>To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women
My dude ...

When you achieved your goal find a new one. Someone told me that the key to happiness and all the other stuff is to always have something new to achieve. There is no such thing as being happy like a state of happiness which when reached remains. As soon as you achieve something it's in the past. Only experience and knowledge remains. So find something new to do and you will be happy constantly and you will feel great, because you have something to do.

I know it's quite cliche, but it's one of the best advice I have ever received.

“Life is like climbing a mountain. You can say you have reached the top only after climbing back down.”

pasta loses its worth when it's spammed every thread