The Singapore Method

It's over, we're finished. As an American, I can say that math education over here is crap. I know so little, I'm so clumsy in math compared to my Chinese and Singaporean classmates that it's a travesty.

Can we discuss this? Clearly this is why it works:

>Compared to a traditional U.S. math curriculum, Singapore math focuses on fewer topics but covers them in greater detail. Each semester-level Singapore math textbook builds upon prior knowledge and skills, with students mastering them before moving on to the next grade. Students, therefore, need not re-learn these skills at the next grade level. By the end of sixth grade, Singapore math students have mastered multiplication and division of fractions and can solve difficult multi-step word problems.

>In the U.S., it was found that Singapore math emphasizes the essential math skills recommended in the 2006 Focal Points publication by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), the 2008 final report by the National Mathematics Advisory Panel, and the proposed Common Core State Standards, though it generally progresses to topics at an earlier grade level compared to U.S. standards.

Name one Singaporean mathematician without looking up. Case closed.

I guess I didn't state what I mean, but almost every single Singaporean and Chinese is fluent in basic mathematics, and they can do it effortlessly, without a calculator. They all make A's in college math courses because they've either already learned it, or their basics are so strong they can proceed right into it without any review or hesitation.

cool story bro

>and the proposed Common Core State Standards

>almost every single Singaporean and Chinese is fluent in basic mathematics
So are most people in the developed world.
>They all make A's in college math courses because they've either already learned it, or their basics are so strong
That's your baseless assumption. They make As because they come from cultures with extremely strict work ethics.

then how can i become less lazy?

Through the force of will.

my professor is working on a way to prove something about the derivative at [0,0], she's pretty good

Finally something that will make Asians not be like robots and improve emotional intelligence.

>le common core bogeyman
just because you rote memorized how to do stuff step by step does not mean that was a good way to learn

>Teacher is trying to teach a technique using a contrived but simple example.
>Student either misses the point that this is a contrived and simple example or fails to learn the basic technique.
>Teacher marks student wrong.

There is literally nothing wrong with this.

Singapore is a very small very young nation

So are you saying the system is solely to blame for your shit skills? You can't compare the US education system to others because our European counterparts have a fraction of our population, and the Chinese have a single centralized system. It would be more accurate to compare invididual US states, but that doesn't get headlines, and interest groups aren't -interested- in presenting accurate pictures or listing 50 states in their rankings (even though some US states are larger than a lot of the countries that get listed in the top 20)

What is wrong is that the more correct method would be to subtract 3 from both 103 and 28, making the answer of 75 obviously correct

>trying to use science where the market would function properly except that all the lefty retards insist education has to be run by the government

>now we not only have to overpay for shitty teachers, we have to overpay for shitty "scientists" to come up with methods that even shitty teachers could manage to not fuck up

I'd rather McDonalds run our schools.

Mastery education is a concept that's been around a while, and discussed a lot outside of asia. You can't point to asia either because taking Japan as an example, its normal to go to 'cram school' a few nights a week.

To be honest the major issue with western systems is that progress is tied so intrinsically with age and the cohort progressing uniformly together.

If they personalized things a bit more, they'd be 'allowed' to fail students without fucking up their (social) life in the process.

>derivative at [0,0]
Explain importance or you are wasting our time, bud

Poor kid was probably a sleep in class and doesn't know what all this 'reasonable answer' shit is about.

Clearly this where you introduce the approximately equals and everything is so easy.

28≈25
103≈100

103-28≈100-25=75

Rounding to the nearest 5.

Spotted the freshman biology major

>28 is closer to 25 than 30
>103 is closer to 100 than 105

This gets the same result dope.

its the best way to learn

wat

Do you know how to round?

is she gonna find a new way to approximate the area under a graph using quadrilaterals too?

This is what I would have done in elementary school. I knew how to round. It was easy. But why would I round that when I could just subtract 3 from both and have an exact answer as quickly as I could have rounded? It's the same number of mental steps either way so it seems most reasonable to get the right answer. I probably lost a lot of points in elementary school for being stubborn about these sorts of things.

I had a hard time getting along with some teachers through all my schooling because of stuff like this.

theyre all making too much bank to become an academic

>our european counterparts have a fraction of our population

And what does it have to do with anything? If you split the US into fully independent states, would the schooling improve?

Maybe to achieve max competence and education we should all split into Luxembourgs?

Maybe for law and anatomy. Mathematics is not about memorizing formulae. Though it certainly can help. Prime example is combinatorics where many high-schoolers fail because they can't figure out which formula applies to given problem. I bet my asshole that if you presented 10 people a trivial problem like "probability of your pin having all numbers even", most of them would fail to answer correctly the first time.

I want to say 50% but something inside me is screaming no

Don't try unless you want to get depressed how utterly stupid we are

thanks for interpreting it that way
though I meant having as my first thought 50% for the pin

>"probability of your pin having all numbers even"
The either do or they don't, so 50%.

(1/2)^4 ?

I agree.

Well without seeing the whole paper we don't know if it was asking for it to be estimates or not which it looks like it was.

Seriously you must be the kind of customer who bitches at a cashier because they won't take your expired coupon.

If the lesson is about estimation and estimates the kid is not going to learn how to do them by not doing them. Sure the exact answer is always best but that is not what the teacher was trying to teach.

Then he should come up with excercises where the only viable answer is estimate. This is a prime example of shitty teacher

t. nigger