Why do White people have pale skin?

According to American Association of Physical Anthropologists, it is a recent development and over 8000 years ago Europeans did not have pale skin.

I read that light skin was selected to maximize vitamin D synthesis but doesn't explain why Eskimo don't have pale skin.

eskimos were probably always bundled up to keep from freezing and so there was no way for their skin color to effect vitamin D meaningfully, they probably just ate seal livers or something

i dont really know

They might have been getting their Vitamin D from some other source.

It's also important to remember that just because a trait would prove very valuable for some environment doesn't mean that trait will ever show up.

I've read that before and supposedly Eskimos had a fish heavy diet which is rich in Vitamin D but Scandinavians also have a fishy heavy diet.

But scandinavians also like to run around naked in freezing temperatures after nearly boiling their skin off. They have more chance to have their skin come in play.

It could be this is the reason they are taller than eskimos

>American Association of Physical Anthropologists

too many syllables

>But scandinavians also like to run around naked in freezing temperatures after nearly boiling their skin off. They have more chance to have their skin come in play.
Sauna is a Finnish invention, and Finns, while Nordic, are not Scandinavian.

>It could be this is the reason they are taller than eskimos
What?

White people have pale skin because they produce the lighter colored phaeomelanin instead of the darker eumelanin, and they produce it in lower amounts.

Pale nonwhites only either have low amounts of eumelanin and/or they're taking L-glutathione supplements, which downregulates eumelanin production and promotes phaeomelanin production.

translate that into english for us individuals that haven't take a bio class since high school ap.

Just because an adaptation can happen doesn't mean it will happen. A lot of popsci turds try to make evolution into this intelligent entity, but it isn't. It's just a number of sequential adaptations that ended up being advantageous and allowed that member/group to proliferate more than another

A number of sequential changes* is better wording

interesting opinion but that doesn't really explain how pale skin came to dominate europe. especially seeing how it is not a dominant trait

dumb, girlposter

They wouldn't be white if they didn't have pale skin

>Scandinavians also have a fishy heavy diet.
Define fish heavy.
I mean do Eskimos eat anything else?
In scandinavia hunting shit is pretty common, but I cant think of any land animals eskimos would hunt except seals or something

One can assume that through the times light skin meant beauty and light skinned people had an easier time getting laid.
I remember in the old Icelandic folk tales I've read when someone new is introduced to the story who's supposed to be pretty he or she is usually described as light skinned with blonde hair

Are you saying there is a pill that will make me less black?

I'd imagine it's a combination of sexual and environmental factors. The desert conditions of north eastern Siberia and northern north america would possibly favor darker skin due to greater sun exposure when compared to most of northern europe. That's just my take though

Here's a precipitation map of europe as well

Are you saying there is a pill will make me more black?

Mutations happen spontaneously.
You have to have a useful mutation present in a population before it's selected for or against

>but doesn't explain why Eskimo don't have pale skin.
Mutation is mostly random
Europeans developed the trait for pale skin, eskimos didn't.

Eskimos didn't come to North America and Greenland until the past 10,000 years across the Bering Straight. Same with all the natives. They are literally Mongols.

Eskimos are descended from Asians like all native Americans and thus have the Asian white skin mutation. Europeans developed their own, either way dark skin doesn't provide enough vitamin D in Winter to keep a pregnancy alive.

No, but there is a pill that can make your skin color lighter.

aliums did it, my man

I never knew that but the European development of light skin didn't occur until 8000 years ago.

This. OP needs to kill himself

Lots of sun = Black skin. The pigment protects folate destruction and inhibits Vitamin D synthesis because they get an excess of sunlight.
Low sun = White skin. Less pigment because they have less sunlight so they need to make more Vitamin D, also less uv rays so less folate destruction.

Eskimos get a ton of Vitamin D in their diet so they don't need a lighter skin to get more Vitamin synthesis, they can get the best of both worlds, with lots of Vitamin D and lots of folate protection.

Skin colour correlates with the amount of sunlight you get, more sun = darker skin.

Eskimos don't have pale skin because the snow reflects sunlight, so they get more exposure. Its the same reason you get sunburn so fast if you're skiing.

I'm no expert but it some of the genes that contribute to white skin must at least be dominant otherwise half-Euro half-African kids would be just as black as Africans.

but Scandinavians also get a lot of Vitamin D in their diet. Why would they need lighter skin to synthesize more vitamin D?

doesn't it snow a lot in norway, sweden, and finland?

>doesn't it snow a lot in norway, sweden, and finland?

Not all year round

I'm actually convinced it's dietary. The Inuit diet was very high in marine animal fats which would have been high in vitamin d, avoiding the need for vitamin d biosynthesis.

They developed technologies that allowed inferior traits like this to survive despite being, well, inferior.

100,000 years from now we'll have space colonies asking why Earth humans evolved to have down syndrome and the answer will be the same.

Eskimos probably didn't have that mutation in their gene pool, and if they did it would likely become more widely distributed thanks to the survival advantage.

>doesn't explain why Eskimo don't have pale skin.
White skin arose due to the combination of high latitude (no sun) and grain based diet (noD in the diet).

Eskimo food is rich in vitamin D.

This has been known for a long time.

Do your research next time OP and stop wasting people's time.

No, eskimos must eat a diet rich in D to survive where europeans can survive on a more meagre diet aided by the white skin trait. The white skin mutation is a significant survival advantage in those conditions which is why it became so predominant in the region.

You are repeating what I said.

White skin allows you to survive in high latitudes without much or any D in your diet.

No, you implied that white skin trait evolved because of the conditions, where I implied that people could survive on that diet and conditions becasue of the trait. A subtle difference but a big misunderstanding.

Norwegians have a diet that is based on fish. There are almost no culinary differences between Norwegians and Eskimos. Norwegian Samis have a diet that is even more fish based.

Because of overcast weather. Eskimos would have received more sunlight because of the reflection of light on the snow

Well, they were white when they populated Scandinavian

Your point being? European whites can live on a fish diet, but thanks to their genetic traits can survive on a poorer diet in the same conditions.

Made in gods image.
The shitskins are half demon spawn.(seriously read the bible) the book of Enoch specifically the one (((they))) don't want you to know about.

Eskimos get vitamin d from their fish. Europeans dont, so they get vitamin D from the sun

wtf but white people do get vitamin d from fish...

that doesn't make sense. their diet was based on fish. if they weren't consuming fish, they starved.

Most evidence points to modern scandinavians to have evolved in central europe.

>maximize vitamin D production
Correct, but also aesthetic selection I would assume

>why Eskimos don't have pale skin
1. Parallel evolution is possible but not necessarily a likely event
2. Inuit have a small gene pool which limits the rates of mutations
3. Inuit didn't interbreed much with white skinned europeans
4. Inuit eat organ meat which contains a lot of vitamins
5. Ice and snow reflect the sun, which gives you a greater sun light exposure than normally. Ever heard of a snow tan?

Holy shit, all these people replying without pointing out that eskimos DO have pale skin.

>((((American Association of Physical Anthropologists)))))

Theres your answer

i thought i was witnessing a mandela effect or something for a minute, ty user

BRIANNA SIMS
@BRISIMSS

i think their pigment is a range just as that of "Hispanics"

>I mean do Eskimos eat anything else?
Seal, caribou, bear, musk ox, small mammals, birds, and even dog on a bad day. They also ate various plants, which could be gathered in the summer.

>Why do White people have pale skin?

Because if they did not they would not be called white people. The skin is white because of a genetic mutation that allowed a reproductive advantage over any other skin color among this group. It was either self-selected by the group (They preferred whiteness) or environmentally selected.

>Norwegians have a diet that is based on fish. There are almost no culinary differences between Norwegians and Eskimos.

40% or so of norwegians genes come from neolithic farmers who had a mostly grain diet.

source?

no they don't. they look like native americans in their skin color.

>Finns, while Nordic
literally uralic

>you implied that white skin trait evolved because of the conditions, where I implied that people could survive on that diet and conditions becasue of the trait

If you actually knew anything about evolution you would know that these are basically the same thing.

People with white skin survived better so there were more people with white skin over time.

Not nearly as much as fish, it is their main meat source where as other people ate fish along with plenty of other meats.

but it doesn't snow all year round in areas like alaska or canada either. eskimos did no live in areas that continually experienced snow

Europeans only started to whiten after moving away from fish heavy diets to grains and farm animals. Inuits never started farming.

While fish does have vitamin D (150-200 IU per 100 grams mostly, salmon can have over 500 IU per 100 g) you will still need to eat a lot of it to get all the vitamin D you need. Like 2 kg of salmon in order to get 10 000 IU that you'd get from the sun.

In an Inuit population of 10 000 individuals over 10 000 years with a generation time of 20 years you will get around 300 million mutations (10 % of our genome) for natural selection to pick from. Maybe some of those would give you paler skin but maybe not.

>but Scandinavians also get a lot of Vitamin D in their diet. Why would they need lighter skin to synthesize more vitamin D?

Maybe that mutation was common before there were large groups of people in Scandinavia, thus they later made it more common.

Meanwhile, eskimos and other groups in the Americas were rather isolated from the rest of the world, and the migrations into the Americas started from places with Vitamin D-rich diets. So the mutation would be less useful because as you got further south most places had ample amounts of sunlight once you got too far away to have a vitamin D rich diet.

It should also be noted that there was just much lower population density and many societies were nomadic, so there was probably a lot of constant migration that made such mutations further south than Eskimos less beneficial in the long run (no chance to propagate as much because its advantage is mitigated if some group gets pushed south) so there wouldn't be as much chance for such a mutation to spread.

That's all conjecture, though. There's always other factors like sexual selection and pure luck that the mutation happens.

fish is there main staple. Fish has high levels of vitamin D this curbs the selection of paler skin becoming a dominant trait.

If I'm being honest I would have no problem planting my baby inside her

> Ekimos dont have pale skin

You guys are autists. You could have just googled Inuit to figure out that they do actually have pale skin. Instead you take the claim at face value, and try to explain something that isnt true.

Asians have their own mutation for pale skin, thats different from the one Europeans have. Convergent evolution. Why asians? Because thats where the Inuit come from, and not too long ago (1000 years ago).