Fun math quotes

Soon I may be in charge of a classroom full of high school students taking a mathematics olympiad test. With this opportunity I thought that maybe I should write a quote from a mathematician on the board for the kids. Something that intrigues and/or inspires them.

Everyone knows the usual famous quotes (god invented the natural numbers and everything else is the work of man, and such) but I wanted to look for something more underground and maybe more spicy.

My first thoughts were getting quotes from either Shinichi Mochizuki or Norman Wildberger (maybe one from each?) but these people don't have wikiquote pages. So could anyone recommend me good excerpts from Mochizuki's papers or Wildberger's videos I could get good quotes from?

And well, if this search is not fruitful then I guess quotes from other mathematicians are also valid, as long as they are not basic and mainstream.

Other urls found in this thread:

kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/Alien Copies, Gaussians, and Inter-universal Teichmuller Theory.pdf
kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/thoughts-english.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Shinichi Mochizuki or Norman Wildberger
had a good kek

Come on, you know those guys have great insights into mathematics. Specially deep problem solving.

Something like "Do you mean the fundamental dream of algebra?" but less rude and less controversial.

"'Piggot' is a portmanteau of 'pig' and 'faggot', meaning 'pig-faggot'"
-Anonymous

Whoever that guy is, I know he is not a mathematician. He is an autistic shitposter. I am not sharing any of his qutoes.

You could do one from that deaf fuck who built the Sagrada familia, Gaudi was his name is think.

"I am a geometrician, therefore I am synthetic"

That quote sounds pretty cringe if I do say so myself.

I don't think you'll be finding much in the way of not cringe-worthy if you're looking for mathematics related quotes.

"I don’t believe in categories of any kind" - Duke Ellington

>Edward Kennedy “Duke” Ellington was an American composer, pianist, and big band leader

I am looking for mathematicians. And specifically quotes that make it obvious that they are about mathematics and problem solving.

Obligatory "super thin rectangles" joke.

I am so a mathematician, piggot

"What the fuck have you been doing for the past 2 years?" -My advisor

you might find something in
kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/Alien Copies, Gaussians, and Inter-universal Teichmuller Theory.pdf

mostly near the end, something about the development of mathematics like pic related, but there's not really any one-liners

Oh boy, I found a gold mine. "Thoughts of Shinichi Mochizuki"

kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~motizuki/thoughts-english.html

Oh fuck, I like that. I should have remembered Perelman was also in the category of edgy misunderstood geniuses like Mochizuki and Wildberger. But it is just that he doesn't get posted here anymore and my tiny brain forgets.

Do you think this could be too depressive for kids who maybe don't know the entire context of the quote or do you think that they'll get it?

>Cubum autem in duos cubos, aut quadratoquadratum in duos quadratoquadratos & generaliter nullam in infinitum ultra quadratum potestatem in duos eiusdem nominis fas est dividere cuius rei demonstrationem mirabilem sane detexi. Hanc marginis exiguitas non caperet.

Please no autismspeak. This is the 21st century.

don't be bitchmade. latin is l33t tier.

...what?

"As a society, we need to stop looking at mathematics as we do in the schoolsystem where we teach a different facet each year and instead begin looking at it like this:"

>or any variation of this

>order of operations

i'm actually okay with context free grammars being introduced so early

>one time pad decryption
Truly, the study of the gods

Go to the nearest library and open a math textbook, most of them have good quotes before each chapter :)

"primes are like weed"

remember kids, pi is wrong

It doesn't really matter what you have to say as the guy is deaf.

Latin is Th.D. tier.

"Perelmann in the streets, Gallois in the sheets"

They are kids wtf.
I know, but those are the mainstream ones. I wanted some spicy hot sauce from Wildberger or Mochizuki.

wildburger quotes

I appreciate it comrad but none of it sounds like quote material. I mean, I wouldn't want to write "standard mathematics is an inconsistent theory" to a group of math students.

I would prefer something less agressive. Just Wildberger talking about how he feels about doing mathematics.

how about (paraphrasing)
>If we draw a circle and a line through the circle, it is unclear if the line intersects with the circle.

Well, I am afraid one of the actual professors supervising this will see it and think I am retarded.

So is he actually unable to spot his own error?

He used the formula for distance traveled assuming that POSITIVE g is downward (i.e. 1 - g/2*t^2), yet he earlier defined g so that NEGATIVE g is downward (i.e. g = -32) ?

Is he so retarded that he doesn't realize that you need to use a consistent convention for the direction of g throughout the entire problem?

So is this just someone's joke parody of him? Or did he actually post this to the world as written proof that he's mentally retarded?

Surely this image is entirely fake.

-> Google Translate ->

>> 8929594 (OP)
> Cube into two cubes, or quadratoquadratum in two quadratoquadratos to infinity and generally no more than two of the same name must be cut square to control the course of a remarkable demonstration detected. The shortness of this brink, he could not contain her.

Haha are you illiterate?

>xe may contact the head of education of xis country
Get me out of here.

Latin is autismo tier you goddamn loser.

>mfw he doesn't know the vastly superior Greek language of the gods