[META]

gook moot said every board can have one meta thread.

Why is there so much shit posting on this board? How can we improve this board? Why don't mods actually enforce the rules? Why is this board not a beacon of light among the cesspool of Veeky Forums?

Did you apply to be a janitor?

Mods need to ban flat earth shitposts, global warming shitposts, and homework threads. Real threads only.

No? Neither did I.

That's like 90% of Veeky Forums (((content)))

Exactly.

Making a new board dedicated to talking about academia (ie college, career, jobs threads etc.) and homework/problem threads would solve a lot of issues I think.

>Why is there so much shit posting on this board?
Probably because the largest demographic on the board is not capable of making (interesting) content that would make Veeky Forums actually related to science.

Most people here are in high school or undergrads, so science to them is more or less interchangeable with school. Hence half the threads here that are related to science are about studying instead of the subject itself. And while the science you learn at high school/undergrad is science, it's usually things that have been discussed and chewed thoroughly generations ago. Discussion on "old" science isn't necessarily bad, but few people are interested in discussing the double slit experiment for the umpteenth time.

Not that many people are actually well enough versed in science (or follow its developments closely enough) to discuss proceedings of modern science. Even without graduate-level knowledge of the subject, you can still have good conversation, and sometimes we do. But a lot of the time when a thread is made about a development the only response is someone going "cool" because they don't really know enough to say much else.

There are graduates and other such people here, who could probably talk about their research or field and give good insight. There aren't many threads like that, for a number of possible reasons. And what's to gain from making such a thread?

Then there are a lot of people who don't know what they are talking about but will insist they are correct come hell or high water. You end up trying to educate someone only to end up with a two-hour shitfest and getting called a faggot. Which means the next time you don't even try.

TL;DR:
>most of Veeky Forums is students so make school/homework threads because that's science to them
>not knowing much doesn't stop people from posting as if they do, leading to stupidity
>people who know their shit probably have better things to do or better places to discuss science in
>epin memes for ADHD teens

It would attract a lot of underage shitters and trolls pretending to be underage shitters. We just need to redirect more people to /wsr/ and /adv/ without replying to them

It would be nice if all Ritalin/Modafinil drug threads were banned. They are pathetic and do not belong here.

People like flat earth posts. If you don't like them then stop bumping them.

Does not work because the demographics of people on adv aren't STEM majors. That board is a more tamed r9k board. I wouldn't want help from a liberal arts major on my cohomology questions.

I can't speak for the science threads as I'm a mathfag (and most of you science plebs are fucking morons anyways) but at least as far as math threads on this board I get the impression that the majority of posters are undergraduate or graduate students.

There is another problem we have as well where a large number of crossboarders come to this board and create garbage threads. I believe this follows from a problem that affects other boards as well. Essentially the board splits into two crowds:
>One group interested in talking about content related to the board topic.
>The other group only interested in talking to people who are knowledgeable in said topic (i.e. pop-sci fags and crossboarders looking for smart people to answer basic questions or validate their beliefs).

We should drive out the second group because they literally provide no benefit to the board itself. Almost all questions they have can be answered by google and almost any evidence or arguments that conflict with their beliefs are immediately ignored (i.e. typical /pol/esmoker behavior).

I think we should ask Hiroshima Nagasaki to implement a crossboarder ban that disallows autobans IPs from posting on Veeky Forums if they've recently posted in a containment board. Pic related, containment boards are statistically obvious.

>people who know their shit probably have better things to do or better places to discuss science in

Excactly

Mathfag here. I agree with you. As far as math goes, it does seem like it's mostly undergrad and beyond that post here. There are a smattering of high school posters but most math topics seem to be of decent quality.

Science posts are what really shit up this board (not all science posts, just most bait and shit posting is science related). There really aren't many math bait threads. It appears to be mostly that second group that's fucking shit up. Imitation intellectuals looking for people better educated than them to tell them what they want to hear. That or it's bait through and through.

Also, fuck /pol/ for bleeding all over the rest of this laotian kumquat harvesting colloquium.

Why? This is probably the most apt board for such things.

People come here for actual information and discussion and not half assed anecdotal evidence garnered from coked out junkies in /b/ tier threads.

Check my 5 first

I think it's actually better than it used to be, believe it or not. Or maybe I just built up a tolerance.

>There really aren't many math bait threads.
.999...=/= 1
1+2+3+... = -1/12

Why does /soc/ talk about /m/ so much?

>well formatted
>brings up valid points
>has a TL;DR

Grade A post right there

A slow board is better than a shit board.

Yes. I didn't say there weren't any. I said there weren't many. There are still some. I was saying that there were significantly more science bait threads than math bait threads.

Don't forget the Monty Hall threads!

Mathbait threads certainly are less common though, and the mathbait/sciencebait/philosophybait ratio has certainly drifted further toward the 'science' side over the years.

lol, it's actually because /soc/ has a lot of a/s/l posts that get responded to by men.

The only people who post in those math bait threads are non-math people.

The only way to bait math people effectively is by either posting something incorrect/false or by seriously entertaining contentious and highly technical issues in mathematical philosophy from the early to mid 1900s (Wildberger). Pic related doesn't even get a response from mathfags.

Obvious LARPing as a flat earther is just plain embarrassing. I don't know why people waste their time. But global warming needs real discussion, IMO. I just ignore homework threads.

ban all threads about race. they're just /pol/ tier garbage

This.

Another part of the problem is that once you actually are scientifically literate, you're probably inherently very specialized hence it's inherently annoying to hold an in-depth discussion utilizing your expertise with strangers likely not even in your general field, which involves having to carefully start from scratch over and over on your projects.

So, having to filter science chat through a broad pop-sci approach is just boring, especially seeing how there seem to be almost no researchers here. Students are only a bunnyhop above lay public. I have several hobby-interests in science but I get infinitely more out of reading actual papers about these than trying to talk about it with strangers. This is part of the problem, the more you geek out on something the slimmer the list of people in the world who can hold a conversation about it narrows down.

Say I want to talk about the Weng'an biota for example. I'm not a paleontologist by training, but I do love learning about the dawn of animals as far back as we know. So do I try to talk about this to Veeky Forums, which is dominated by homework, the lay-est of lay thoughts and /pol/-borne psuedoscience, or do I go and read papers actually covering my fancy and follow paper trails into more papers? It's always, always always going to be the latter unless Veeky Forums suddenly became a very different place. One night with some tea and papers will teach me mountains more about what I am curious about than years and years of lurking Veeky Forums or trying to nudge mostly naive, mostly-uncaring people into sharing my passion on this at all.

There is also the matter that you also can't say too much in specific about your personal research - you could get yourself doxxed or even scooped (seemingly infinitesimal chance, but this is a public forum for all to see). Or fired if you're in industry and are a complete dumbass talking about pipeline. So, nothing of relevance really gets said here, not to me at least.

kek, didn't even think of that.

Make an IQ/Race general on /pol/. Bring back math captchas. Ban HW posters. Anything pertaining to consciousness belongs on /x/.

Ban people who repeatedly destroy threads or make the same thread over and over so they can spout their nonsense.
Examples of what I'm talking about
>I HAVE STAGE 4 LUNG CANCER AAAA
>"scientist" instantly filling any nuclear power threads with his copypasta
>"Geometric unity" spouting his babble in physics threads