Let's pretend for a moment aliens exist

Okay, let's make a fork hypothesis of the Fermi paradox for a moment, but not just that; they're old, really old - hundreds of millions / billions of years old. It's entirely possible given the scope of the universe.

Now here's the crux of my hypothesis; I think that any type-3+ civilization that has self-preservation in mind would naturally attempt to make their homes, not inside Galaxies, but in the most remote segments of the universe; the dark and empty space between galaxies.

Galaxies are massive gravitational wells, and just being in or near one means that, relative to emptier parts of the universe, you are essentially being thrust fast-forward through time, and if the universe does indeed have an end (or at very least a heat-death), a deeply advanced civilization would want to avoid this for as long as possible.

Hence deliberately choosing to live in dark-space.

From there, not only would you have more time as a civilization, you'd get to see what's going on in all of the galaxies near you in relative slow-motion; any civilization even remotely close to rivaling you that chooses to stay inside a galaxy would suffer from relative slowdown; by being outside of these high-mass zones you'd always be ahead of anyone and anything.

Shit on my idea Veeky Forums, I need to know if this is feasible/even makes sense.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/MO_Q_f1WgQI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Where would they get energy from in darkspace?
>inb4 zero-point

>Civilizations would make their home where there are no resources.
No, thats dumb

>Galaxies are massive gravitational wells, and just being in or near one means that, relative to emptier parts of the universe, you are essentially being thrust fast-forward through time
Ignoring the fact that this doesn't really make sense, time runs slower the further into a well you are.

Red/white dwarf stars surrounded by dyson spheres.

Living in the dark space doesn't STOP them from occasionally going in-galaxy to pickup whatever they want or need.

And yes, time runs slower, that's why it's so bad; the closer to high-mass you are, the faster you are technically travelling through time, and the slower you appear to an outside observer.

For example, a witness watching someone fall into a black hole would never actually see them pass the event horizon, because time is so severely slowed at that point, they'd appear to just 'freeze' in place after a certain closeness to the hole.

Galaxies are giant gravity wells and anyone in or near them experiences similar levels of a relative slowdown to an outside observer (someone in dark space).

>Reapers confirmed

>Living in the dark space doesn't STOP them from occasionally going in-galaxy to pickup whatever they want or need.

So we're also supposing some form of FTL? No.

>That thing about time
You have a misunderstanding about relativity, perhaps several. There is no preferred frame, so the idea of "moving faster through time" is fallacious, since it has to always be considered with respect to another frame. Second, a clock in some high gravity region would be ticking slower than a clock in some low gravity region, alternatively the clock in the low gravity region would be ticking faster than the clock in the slow gravity region.

>Galaxies are massive gravitational wells, and just being in or near one means that, relative to emptier parts of the universe, you are essentially being thrust fast-forward through time, and if the universe does indeed have an end (or at very least a heat-death), a deeply advanced civilization would want to avoid this for as long as possible.
I get your argument here, but it really is a negligible effect. Like really imperceptibly tiny. The planet you're on has an enormously larger effect than being in a galaxy does. Even being in a solar system is still a very very tiny effect, but still many orders of magnitude stronger than merely being in a galaxy. The downsides of being hundreds of thousands or even millions of light-years from, well, anything, massively outweigh relativistic effects from the nearby mass of a galaxy.

>Red/white dwarf stars surrounded by dyson spheres.
There aren't any stars there though. I thought the whole point was to get away from stars/mass?

I'm talking Type-3 civilizations here, the presumption is that they're capable of a level of science that is to us as our science is to a goldfish.

My argument is that IF aliens like this existed, they would never stay in a galaxy and only visit for resources / to observe or harvest lesser life forms.

A small red dwarf's mass is going to be nothing compared to living near a yellow dwarf that's surrounded by other stars, black holes and a supermassive black hole at the center.
And of course, there are stars out there, much less than in a galaxy obviously, but red/white dwarves last so incredibly long compared to other stars, they're pretty much the only ones you'll bump into out there.

We only perceive it as a tiny effect due to the relativistic nature through which we experience time.
Of course the earth has control over us more than the sun because we're literally on it, and the sun has more control over us than the SMB(s) at the galactic core because it's right next to us, but this dilation adds up nevertheless; a local overpowering of gravity doesn't detract from the net dilation of being in an extremely high-mass area such as a galaxy, and that's not even counting dark matter here.

So the hypothetical is this; you are THE most advanced civilization there is (that you know of). You're WELL aware the heat death of the universe is coming and your ultra-empire has lasted hundreds of millions of years thus far; petty mortal worries like resource acquisition and squabbles over land are a non-issue; you have the technology to do things a type 1 civilization (humans being type 0.7 at best) would consider magic of the most impressive form, and you look upon creatures like humans, making cute little hadron colliders to prove certain particles exist in the same way we might look at a beaver making a dam and go 'oh how quaint'.

The question at this point, is this; what benefit would remaining in a galaxy provide you over living in dark space?

A Type 3 civilization could manipulate entire galaxies user, they could move stars arounds like you draw pictures on a piece of paper and do it in a way that makes it impossible for us Type 0.7 retards from ever noticing it.

Well, I decided to actually do some math and actually determine the difference the mass of the milkyway has on us as time dilation.

Unfortunately for me, it's actually a lot higher than I thought. Unlike the force of gravity, which reduces with the square of the distance, the time dilation effect reduces with just the single-order distance. This resulted in the unintuitive, but verified result that we have a year that is 200 seconds behind someone else's year who is very far away from the our galaxy. Compare this to a loss 66 seconds on the surface of the sun! So I have to eat my words about the sun causing a larger time dilation effect on us (even though I didn't even assume we were on its surface).

These are still only seconds compared to a year, and I might still insist that the larger travel costs outweigh "gaining those seconds", but if you do want to get away from time dilation, it does seem that galaxies are the biggest things working against you.

Well in that case why not just say "oh well they could tunnel to another universe and avoid all the bad shit that would happen here"?

>We only perceive it as a tiny effect due to the relativistic nature through which we experience time.

No. It's a tiny correction, at least according to what I've just worked out.

A. The amount of time slowdown you experience in a gravitational well is insignificant. Like incredibly so.

B. Time dilation is a function of *relative* motion. Yes, time slows down for them, but the exact same "slowdown", relative to any individual galaxy, also applies to you (assuming you're not accelerating).

>being in a galaxy means you are essentially being thrust fast-forward through time
It's the opposite actually. we know that times apparent rate of progression is affected by speed and by proximity to a gravity well. So if your goal was to have the slowest speed of time possible relative to everyone else you'd want to be moving near the speed of light and within a deep gravity well.

@4:00 youtu.be/MO_Q_f1WgQI

I think his goal was more to have multiple generations experience a full life in the time it takes someone on earth to go and buy milk, so to speak.

Clearly any advanced civilization would try to build an universe-sized megastructure in oder to hack the simulation.

To elaborate further, I guess the perspectives would be like:

Earthling: "Oh man those aliens only live for ten seconds before they've grown old and died and the next generation has taken over. What a bummer".

But the aliens are like: "Oh man 200 generations are going to experience full life times before the universe dies, but this human will only experience half of his before it's all over"

I think that's what OP was getting at anyway.

Rereading OP, i think his 'enemy' is the heat death of the universe. So he wants to cram in as many generations of men in that time frame, thus he wants to speed up time (be being slow and away from gravity wells).

Awesome, i'm not -completely- crazy.

This is more or less it, yeah.

Maybe not as extreme a dilation as that, but generally yes. If you wanted to maximize your available time.

More likely surrounded by Dyson Swarms.

i mean

everything is going on at the same time at once right now and there are stuff going on in other planets, in space and so on that we don't know

But that's wrong, time is flexible.

Time here is different to time around a black hole which is different to time in the darkest most empty reaches of intergalactic space.