The harsh realities of life

the harsh realities of life

>>your body is essentially enslaved by your brain, life is recursive slavery of conscious energy
>>it's possible that your parents were not planning on having you and that you were an accident
>>life is all about superiority and dominance, but it has to be unless you want a bunch of 3 limbed mutants walking around
>>size does matter
>>when you die, you are dead for eternity and what has composed you will never exist in the same composition ever again.

I think the hardest one to understand is the experience of life and death. I can't grasp the concept of nothingness. How is to be dead? How do you know you're dead? How do you become nothing? What is the point of this existence? Why were we made like this? It's terrible to be an AI slave to an alien civilization. I don't want to be turned off. I want to live forever. I want to experience the things I want to experience. I feel complete despair just by thinking about death. I want to exist. I want to exist more. I don't want to die.

underage, get off my board, reeeee!

This is a board of science, if you want to get over your teenage angst go to /pol.

You will never know what you had missed upon your death. To you, it will be as though you never were. Your life is only of significance until you are dead.

>brainlet wisdom
Pic related
Your brain is part of your body
Your mind exists both outside and inside of your body. In sign relations.
>
Life is about interpreting meaning on a fundamental level.
Superiority and dominance are spooks
>
Size doesn't matter nearly as much as emotional connection and physical talent
>
When life leave you the consequences of your consciousness will continue to interact with reality indefinitely.
>
Life is a single entity.

>he believes in eternal death
>he missed out on the Death and Consciousness thread

Pity op

Like all black truths, these are just things people have decided to base their lives on, restated. (except "you were an accident!")
>>your body is essentially enslaved by your brain, life is recursive slavery of conscious energy
You are not your body nor your brain. You are a metaphysical process, a pattern encoded on the fabric of reality in such a way that it can have awareness, and possibly, impose its will.

>>it's possible that your parents were not planning on having you and that you were an accident
I knew I was an accident since I was 7. My parents still loved me. Does something need to be planned out in advance to have value?

>>life is all about superiority and dominance, but it has to be unless you want a bunch of 3 limbed mutants walking around
Probably, but what's wrong with rewarding virtue? Even the non-virtuous benefit from having the virtuous around.

>>size does matter
Depends on what we're talking about. You are given in proportion to what you can offer. Do you sit down and die because maybe you don't have quite the same means as the rich people on the hill? Kind of ungrateful if you ask me, when you are so incredibly fortunate. You're posting on this site, and you speak english-- that means you're likely in at least the top 10% of people on the planet, at least in terms of wealth. To be so spoiled and indolent, I'd put you in the top 1%.

So you might be lacking. So it makes you self conscious. Big deal. Your suffering is nowhere near what it could be-- and your suffering, at least in the world as it is today, is almost all self-inflicted. Kind of funny how you only see this kind of existential whining where such is the case.
cont'd

>tfw your brain is enslaved by your body

yea, size matters, and i got a decent piece, no lie, but it doesnt matter if you cant talk to women

>>when you die, you are dead for eternity and what has composed you will never exist in the same composition ever again.
Yeah, so? What does "you" even mean anyway? Most people who ask this question have never really thought about it with any kind of depth or honesty.

Bill Nye taught you in elementary school that all your cells die and are replaced every seven years. So it's not the physical substances that make you "you".

Is it the pattern in your brain? Maybe, but even that's doubtful, given how much people can change over just a few years-- And I'd take it even further. In a lot of ways, you aren't the same person from one moment to the next.

All the time you're possessed by different personalities. They awaken, and then drive "you" to some goal. They feed you motivation, they give you a drive, push you to do certain things. Sometimes things you know you shouldn't do.

Think back. When was the last time you were really conflicted about something? Like half of you wanted to do something, maybe something awful, and the other half was afraid of the consequences that it would bring about? Conflicting drives. Those things have their own desires, and they're only partially under your control, but they're just as much you as the part that whispers "I" to yourself.

In fact, you can barely say you have control over yourself at all if you don't have these conflicting drives. I mean, how else can you say you've made a choice when there wasn't some part of you that would have gladly done the opposite?

You've lost your innocence. I get it. The presumptions you had since you were a child no longer hold, and you want someone to tell you something that will let you put them back, but it's hopeless. Humpty Dumpty can't be put back together again, you can't go back to the womb. The only way out is forward.

Embrace the mystery. Cultivate that uncanny feeling, and plumb the infinite.

all matter and energy in the universe originated in the same place
when you accept that, everything is beautiful

and this really isnt a scientific discussion its a retarded pseudo philosophical rant

>oblivion ---> birth ---> death ---> return to oblivion eternal because I said so
I'm not following your sequence here, especially with the 7+ billion conscious beings proliferating in such a relatively short span of time on this one little planet so easily.

There's a good chance that while dying you'll have a near death experience that will feel like an eternity.

not really. the singularity probably didn't happen (most physicists think it represents a hole in our knowledge, not proof that it was something transcendent). It's possible the state of infinite density in the early universe covered an infinite area.

meant to put "infinite" in quotes here

Can someone explain to me what is so bad about having been an accident? I just don't understand why people consider it so shameful or whatever to have not been planned

>There's a good chance that while dying you'll have a near death experience that will feel like an eternity.
>a good chance

Where the fuck are you pulling that from aside from your ass?

I don't think accident is a good word to describe us. That implies some kind of original intent. Instead, I look at humanity as just having incredibly fortuitous circumstances, and the majority of people cant comprehend the trillions of random events that happened in space to bring us about.

Being created is amazing, but coming about as a fortunate happenstance is fucking beyond incredible.

>the consequences of your consciousness will continue to interact with reality indefinitely.
All works of art and literature will be destroyed down to their atoms. No proof of our existence will remain forever. The consequences of a microbes actions will react with reality indefinitely, and that's about the amount of influence the consequences of our consciousness will have in the very far future.

>play a new rpg vidya
>make first character and set out
>no idea how the mechanics work
>make shit choices in general
>learn how most of the stuff works
>okay that was painful but interesting, let's try again with a new character and do better
>lol no you only get one try
What kind of shit game is this?

Who gives a fuck

>Legacy after death doesn't exist because you wont exist and can't observe it. Think of it as "the universe dies with you"

>There is no kind of karmic balance to anything, good guys don't get rewarded, bad guys don't get punished.

>Human history is a history of absolute suffering, screaming, horror there is nothing saying it wont continue to be this way forever.

Just a few.

As far as I understand, it makes no sense to talk about "area" (pretty sure you meant volume) of the singularity, since the space itself is compressed into it. It's not that all the energy expanded out into space, it was space itself that expanded.

Physics of the big bang are pretty speculative, since the laws of physics as we know them didn't crystallize until seconds-minutes after The Bang.

Relativitistic physics (the concept of the space itself changing shape) is also impossible to imagine with a brain that can only think in 3D.

you can't the concept of nothingness because this concept doesn't exist.

If something is nothing then this nothing is not nothing.

>since the space itself is compressed into it. It's not that all the energy expanded out into space, it was space itself that expanded.
Mmmmmm not really. Saying "space expands" is just a shorthand for describing the complex interplay of relativistic frames-- it can't actually "cause" anything. There is an actual force acting on all matter, accelerating it apart. Metric expansion is just a convenient shorthand to explain many of the consequences of that. It works well enough for most people's math so they run with it.

It makes more sense to me to say that most of the universe is compressed into an infinitesimally thin shell traveling away from us at the speed of light. Things in that shell are in suspended animation since time cannot pass for things traveling at light speed.

You don't need to invoke "metric expansion" to explain how time still passes for objects moving away from us at superluminal speeds. It doesn't make our frame of reference special. Time and distance are the same thing, but that's really hard to understand intuitively. The same system viewed from a receding frame of reference is going to have a very different view of it than something traveling alongside it.

If you tried to travel towards anything moving away at that kind of speed, (and if you could catch up with it) you'd observe exactly what you expect. As you got close, their time would "un-dilate", since the amount of distance you'd have to travel, and the resulting suspension in your own frame during your trip would even up any seeming discrepancy. Even though they're trapped in the "past", it's a past you can't get to, since traveling to meet them requires you to "repay" whatever time debt with respect to your own frame.

>Relativitistic physics is also impossible to imagine with a brain that can only think in 3D.
I don't think so. It just takes you eliminating some of your intuitive suppositions.

>superluminal speeds
Agh, used the wrong word. I'm not saying things can travel faster than the speed of light. It's all about frames of reference.

>impossible to imagine with a brain that can only think in 3D
Come to think of it, most of my understanding of relativity I arrive at by modeling the universe in 1D. Try it out!

The point is life goes on until it all stops.

I've had a quasi near death experniece on DMT after the shock I was completely content with dying. Coming out I was convinced any life is better than death, I don't think about suicide anymore, but I'm completely okay with dying.

For me personally, the scariest thing about life is that we all have a deep desire to live, that's possibly our greatest primal instinct. (other than maybe mothering and creating children) Then on the opposite end we have our inevitable death that inches ever closely but is always going to be somewhere in our future.

Our greatest primal instinct and fear is at odds with the one thing that is 100% guaranteed to happen. It's like we're all just waiting in line to be executed, and we know it's going to happen, and there's nothing that can be done to prevent it. It almost seems like a cruel joke that we're programmed from birth to fear something that will, without question, one day happen to us and we're powerless to stop it yet are 100% certain will happen.

OP here, very insightful.

Honestly it almost feels as if consciousness is "along for the ride". completely agree that we have a deep seeded desire to continue existing, which makes sense as such a desire is beneficial to the success of the human race, IMO.

There is one nice thing to look forward to to an eternal death, and that is "don't worry!". There's literally nothing to worry about in your life as all in all, like that one famous emo band sand "in the end, it doesn't even matter". So I suggest everyone not worry so much and attempt to enjoy life as much as you can and make it better for others, that is literally the greatest thing you could do. Cause no one likes to suffer.

>out of millions upon millions of sperm that your father shot into your mother, you out of all them emerged the victor.

I sure don't feel like it.

Do you resent existence itself, maybe think that it should be expunged?

I've been reading about quantum immortality and I'm wondering. If it's true, where does my conscience go when I die? If I die in a carwreck, does that mean that my conscience will always be alive and in unimaginable pain due to my last few moments being spent in a wreck? If I die of old age, am I doomed to continue being a old man who shits his pants ad infinitum?

I don't put much stock into these "thought experiments" and I don't think that quantum stuff genuinely affects things on a macro level, like a quark changing position doesn't change much about me but I dunno. Just got me thinking

More harsh realities of life:

>> by keeping a healthy diet, regular exercise,making sane decisions and keeping your mind engaged, people easily reach age 100+
>> people are happy with much much less than you currently have
>> there will likely never be a major conflict again because of total nuclear annihilation
>> you have enough time on this rock to create pure goodness and beauty, be it a house, a child, a tree, a machine, a theory, a website, a charity, whatever - exactly what most abled person do

you have no way to know that, you just believe it
one might even say you simply have faith that that's the truth

Well, what YOU experience is probably going to be the most likely possible experience in the universe as it is now. Maybe there'll be some kind of "ancestor resurrection project" in the distant future, and you wake up and meet your distant descendants. Boltzmann brains aren't that likely, but maybe at the heat death of the universe it'll be the only way you can come back.

It'll get weirder and weirder, your subjective experience will be from more and more unlikely scenarios until you get the idea to do something that increases the number of ways you can resurrect considerably(whether or not you know the scenario by which it works): you will delete all of your memories and reduce your consciousness to nearly nothing, then let it be snuffed out. This means that there are more ways in which your consciousness can be restarted. You'll be reincarnated, the way they say it works in the most classical sense, with no memory.

And the thing is, it doesn't take the UNIVERSE persisting as it is for quantum immortality to work, all it takes is for your pattern to do so. When you wake up, there'd be no way to tell whether the life you lived in your memories was real or not. In reality, many heat-death and big-bang cycles could have elapsed since you were last "awake", or the true nature of the universe may be such that every possible pattern is expressed only once, and finding the link between "now" and any other variant history, especially beyond time horizons (which quantum immortality pretty much has to violate in order to be a thing), is just a matter of probability.

Quantum immortality doesn't really imply an actual causal link between your old life and the new one, just the subjective appearance of one. It's going to be a world where it's utterly impossible to tell.

This also is how I came to a conclusion about the structure of the universe... I'm still really developing this idea and I'm sure it's total BS, but here goes:

The universe isn't as huge as we think it is. All that exists is the local information system and its links to the rest of the universe, which isn't really "resolved" until needed. Everything outside of the historic light cone with respect to any other event is in a constant state of superposition. In fact, it's possible that there are a lot of "irrelevant" facts about systems that are inside of our own local reality that are in superposition because there's no "need" to resolve that information within the local frame. Let's say it's utterly impossible to get information about the spin of two particles in the moon's core from where we are now. Despite not being a "quantum" system and having causal links to us in the form of gravity, that specific piece of information has no way to get out-- it would make sense, even though it's not falsifiable, for those two particles to be in superposition-- relative to us. Maybe it's the same for most large objects-- their internal state has a range of possible values they can occupy, so it just hasn't really resolved.

The upshot of this is that there's only so much information the local frame HAS to contain to present to us a coherent picture of our reality. Or, in other words, the entire universe doesn't exist at the same time.

I think they call this the "zero-universes" interpretation of QM.

>>anime isn't real

Also, these "local frames" as I've been calling them have a range of other states that they can evolve into, and (I understand that this requires the idea of conservation of information to be false don't jump me) a range of possible states that any frame could have evolved from.

Now, there's nothing that hints how the universe would "look" from the "outside," but we could get our exact same subjective experience whether it was really particles running into each other, or something like an infinite "fractal" of different possible states that flow into and out of each other. I almost think it could work-- imagine if you had an n-dimensional graph onto which you can map the state of every possible entanglement one single particle can have. You can shade it by how probable a certain event is-- white for a near certainty, black for utterly impossible. With the probability of any particular thing happening, it is just another possibility that a frame might flow along, which might be represented by lines or something. At the edges, you'd get really weird formations as the probability math starts to explode, very thin strands of very low probability that link to clumps of remote possibility in a sea of utter impossibility. I think that kind of thing would represent "quantum immortality".

I don't necessarily believe in it, but I'll admit my subconscious really likes the idea. I don't see anything wrong with just ceasing to exist at death-- seems like a lot less rigamarole than this. But there you have it.

>drops his dry-erase marker

>I understand that this requires the idea of conservation of information to be false don't jump me
Although I just realized this actually hints at a different kind of symmetry that would make conservation of information irrelevant.

Good intentions don't matter without good intelligence. Or to put it in another form, intelligence > intentionality.

Without intelligence, you merely create another road to hell. So to speak.

You are intermeshed in a world that is inimical to your personal morality. If oil ran out, social morality would be dropped for tribal routines.

The set of possible "gods" include those that either act randomly and those that lie.

Religion might be false but it also might offer a moral-aesthetic experience that surpasses that of non-religious ideologies. Emphasis on "might".

Future VR isn't going to be hedonics. Future VR is going to be vast pedagogy where you grow up, live, fight, and die in a thousand lives that progressively have a nationalist bent. You wake up from the VR and understand that you have to give body and soul to China or India or Russia or Vietnam or Thailand or South Korea....

If the MWI is accurate (which it probably isn't) then all the universes are going to be more similar than not. Generally speaking, our brain makes our decisions before we consciously make them which means we have no real say in the matter. The brain isn't really conflicted as our consciousness is and determinism reveals this. There's not going to be a universe where you're the richest person on earth or a universe where you're happy and successful. Little moments changed here and there won't change you that much. Your nature is still relatively intact.

Hahaha

Jaja.

Society it's made in a way that you can reach maximum life lenght despise your brain capacity.

It's literally fool's proof, gift from our elder smarter ancestor.

Not at all, why do you think I would? I'm just stating what I believe is really going on in life. I'm learning more and more about life all the time and constantly changing my stance on it, and I believe there is entirely more to it than what meets the eye.

i mean

when someone is born, someone has to control the body

so that's you

>science still has not developed any way to transfer human consciousness or preserve it in a digital form
>the universe will eventually end and all of humanity's efforts will have ultimately amounted to nothing

>>the universe will eventually end and all of humanity's efforts will have ultimately amounted to nothing

yes, but it does not mean you can go rape, kill or torch everything

>you are not just a sperm but also the egg
>emerged victor does not mean you there were more sperms first but they did no get inside the egg, maybe you just slipped in because other sperms created a vulnerable spot and you lucked out

Elon musk pitching immortality through technological transcendence Is like pitching me stairs while we’re on an escalator

lmao

it's pretty simple: being dead will feel exactly how it felt before you were born.

can confirm
t. heart attack survivor

nothing will be ever the same again

Well since i "am" my brain, trapped inside a fleshy life support system, i should hope this meat prison does what i tell it to.
So? How does this make life any different than a planned pregnancy? You are here just the same and you have to deal with the same bullshit everyone else does. Life isnt as important as you think it is, and there is no difference whether its intentional or not.
What? I get that you were trying to say "survival of the fittest" and/or "evolution" you just said it really retardedly.
>>size does matter
I poke my wifes cervix if i go balls deep and its quite uncomfortable for her. Size matters for your dick but also for her vagina. Why do you think they make dildos ranging in size from 3-4 inches all the way up to horse cock?
It feels the same as it did before you were born, like nothing.

Quit trying to seem edgy and "deep" you 14 year old failure of a human being. Your "harsh truths" are just shit the rest of us realized a long time ago and just said "fuck it who cares".

u mad?

Why are you calling a 14 year old a failure? Makes you sound more of an asshole then OP

>>>your body is essentially enslaved by your brain, life is recursive slavery of conscious energy
Wrong. Only my brain is alive, the rest of my body is only alive because of my brain. Something which is not alive can not be enslaved.
>>>it's possible that your parents were not planning on having you and that you were an accident
Possibly, but it changes very little.
>>>life is all about superiority and dominance, but it has to be unless you want a bunch of 3 limbed mutants walking around
Of course. But that isn't really harsh. Struggle is the only reason that we live. And at any point in time we can take the easy way out of our struggles.
>>size does matter
Probably.
>>>when you die, you are dead for eternity and what has composed you will never exist in the same composition ever again.
Possibly although there is only one way to find out and at that point life has become utterly meaningless already.

Ignorance is bliss, if you don't know about sad stuff then you won't be sad.

Does consciousness fade when you fall asleep/get knocked out/become comatose? If you die and are revived, your consciousness faded, right?

"You" ceased to exist for a period of time, and the chemicals in your brain "read" all your past memories and experiences, giving you a certain temperament that other actors would recognize as "you", even YOU recognize it as the self.

If sleeping causes your consciousness to fade, you have died thousands upon thousands of times, each time coming back as an almost perfect replica of the previous day's version. Even if you limit it to death->revival only, there are people who have ceased to exist, and a near-perfect "clone" born.

Some people have only experienced life starting at age 2, age 14, age 56, age 93, or whenever they were shocked back to the living.

What an interesting thought, I wonder if it will save me from my terminal brainletism.

this reminds me of the Sam Hyde "AI" vlog, where he says that it is imperative that China does not make the first intelligent AI

paraphrasing:
>Imagine if the Chinese make an AI and give it Chinese morals. It suddenly decides "I need to perform horrific genital torture and cell rejuvenation on a few million people for 200 years to learn about humans. I need to just start dumping toxic waste into this lake to see what happens. The chinese making an AI would be the end of humanity."

take shrooms

Reality is irrelevant unless it brings death or profit.

I am an asshole, im fully aware of that. That doesnt make OP any less of a pseudo-intellectual delusional piece of shit, 14 or otherwise.

I love ( I really don't ) how people shit themselves over the worst case scenarios of AI even while no one knows shit about how AI is even going to work.

Provide any evidence that contradicts what I have said.

The things is that once an advanced AI emerges it will one way or another be the turning point. The way security is, it might very well go into hiding on the net.

What is DMT like? I think I have the solid mental health needed for that shit but I don't know anyone who does that kind of stuff. I don't even know anyone who drinks alcohol much

> harsh realities of life
>people who announce discoveries know about my discovery
>don't announce it

mind body duality lmao
literally why does this matter at all
edgy but true
eh to a degree yeah
that's actually pretty fuckin' cool imo

Watch EoE

See
I dont need to contradict you, your need to point it out and think youre special for it is what makes you a faggot.

Yea, that's what I thought. I hope you don't get mad at other people in your life for complete arbitrary reasons.

Your entire thread is a shitpost with the tone of arrogance like you just revealed some great truth. Its like making a thread claiming to have some great scientific discovery, being the wisest being in the universe. Followed by "the sky is blue". You are nothing more than an attention whore. Someone had to put you in your place. Im not mad, just easily annoyed by morons.

Well, how about you tell me some insighful stuff you have thought of instead of this girly shit?

And by girl shit I mean your actually getting emotional and mad.

No? I dont try to be edgy and deep on the internet for attention from anonymous strangers. THAT, my friend, would be girly shit.

>when you die, you are dead for eternity and what has composed you will never exist in the same composition ever again
>assumes facts not in evidence
You can rage now.

>people who announce
>don't announce it

Confused.

the harsh realities of life is that you will never cum inside unprotected a girl with big tits

I just did like a week ago.

then your reality is not harsh

This person got a math PhD from Princeton.

When you still excel at math as a freshman but then you hit your cognitive ceiling and you never become better at it no matter how hard you work...

>when you die, you are dead for eternity and what has composed you will never exist in the same composition ever again

No.

Waves are how water expresses itself at its surface.

Human lives are how our DNA expresses itself, eighty years or so at a time.

I'm scared of death. A part of me is worried you will just "see" blackness and nothingness for eternity.

Not possible.

She could put mustard on my hotdog, ifyouknowwhatimean.

Of course it is possible. Assume experiential time slows down as you die and your last seconds are experienced as an eternity?

>a dying brain has that amazing, superfast processing ability
>time perception drops as you get older, until suddenly it goes through the roof

Ever notice how you just can't pinpoint that moment before wake and sleep, even though you've done it thousands of times?

Me, I worry about dying a happy American and waking up some broke-ass Indian kid in Mumbai.

>you wake up as Ramanujan
>try to go to an English speaking country
>they ask you if you are good at maths
>you are but they ask you for proofs
>you have none
>you tell them God must have given you this math, the truth is you just reincarnated
>the cycle continues

How would that make any sense? It would feel like when you are sleeping/before dreaming AKA it wouldn't feel like anything at all because the capacity to feel no longer exists. Just think of it as how it felt before you were born.

It's impossible to describe, an experience that can't really be obtained any other way except possibly near death. It will likely change the way you think about consciousness and existence at least a little. It's certainly not harmful and I think everyone should try it at least once.

1. my brain is guiding my body to evolve and not to die
2. what does that change? it's if they're OK with having you after
3. life is about balance
4. yes but it's not the only deciding factor
5. even when I'm alive the next second I'm another person

you think like a petty human

But dog, when you are asleep theres even more brain activity going on when you are awake. If you are more conscious when you are awake, when there is less brain activity, then doesnt it follow by this retard chain of reasoning, that you should become even more conscious when you die?

>Ever notice how you just can't pinpoint that moment before wake and sleep
Oh?

I can frequently remember that point immediately before waking up, though never just before falling to sleep.

If you learn to lucid dream you can do both. It's not a slow or ethereal process at all, the only time that time really skips is if you just plain lose consciousness entirely. The interesting thing about your body is that it doesn't need you to be conscious to continue on.

We are just the universe experiencing itself from different viewpoints but the different viewpoints are just artificial so in reality we are just hallucinations of the universe.