Bump

I'm trying to start self-studying stuff using recommendations for textbooks from the Veeky Forums wiki. How long should it take to make it through one textbook?

Other urls found in this thread:

tutorial.math.lamar.edu/sitemap.aspx?f=C
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There was a similar post earlier.

It really depends on what you want to know. Going through an entire calc textbook is an absolute waste of time. Work through until triple integrals, maybe 10-20ish chapters. Without a teacher it should take around 3-6 months if you work 20 hours a week.

Read, take notes, review, do problems.

Where is a place with a bunch of review problems for all calcd 1 through 4?

Depends how long the book is and how dense it is.

>Going through an entire calc textbook is an absolute waste of time. Work through until triple integrals

But then you miss out on all the vector calculus theorems.

tutorial.math.lamar.edu/sitemap.aspx?f=C

You're welcome, broheim.

>Veeky Forums wiki

I hope you're using the wikia

yeah that's what i meant

If I can do them does it mean I can be confident about mu calc skills?

Yes, as far as computations go.

3 days

> How long should it take to make it through one textbook?
It depends on how familiar you are with the subject and how densely written the book is. But it would say about a month per 300 pages

20 hours a week is only realistic if you're a NEET.

that's a book about real analysis

if you want to be able to use calculus in your day to day life, you need to do applied calculus problems. to do those you need to know differentiation, integration, curve sketching, maxima/minima, and to do all of that you need to be able to factor like an ace

You're in for the long haul with Spivak. Only do it if you're certain you will be studying math. Otherwise just learn calc from anywhere else and then look at analysis books like rosenlicht, rudin, etc.

>Spivak
is it a meme or not? can you tell if a tutor or someone read (and understood, obviously) spivak?

It's bad for most people. Most people learning calculus won't need most of its content. It's too hard. Not only will most people be unable to answer the first set of problems correctly, they won't understand their solutions either. It's also rigorous which most people don't care about.

On the other hand if you are good at math and do intend to do further mathematics it's the best book to use. The only real competition is Apostol or Courant and I don't really like those.

You can tell if someone has understood spivak fairly easily. Just ask for definitions of limits, continuity, derivatives, and integrals. From their answer it will be obvious. Standard calc books don't give rigorous definitions of these things so it'll be a dead giveaway. For example, saying that a_n -> a as n goes to infinity is equivalent to saying that for all e>0 there exists an N such that for all n>N, |a_n - a|

khan academy is pretty good

>neet fell for the everyone should learn calc from spivak meme

3 to 4 weeks.

>epsilon-delta definitions are hard
Do brainlets actually believe this though?

They aren't. You overestimate the average intelligence of people posting here.