What is the Studio Ghibli of Literature?

What is the Studio Ghibli of Literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki#Influences
youtube.com/watch?v=ngZ0K3lWKRc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Stephen King

Alice in Wonderland comes pretty close. Also Dr Seuss stories.

Roald Dahl

The quickst way to know is to ask Miyazaki himself:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayao_Miyazaki#Influences

John Green.

Dianna Wynn Jones, that kind of cute fantasy. Aren't his movies just elaborate, slightly more modern fairy tales?

>Aren't his movies just elaborate, slightly more modern fairy tales?
No, he's a heavy handed preacher.

Dickens. Or maybe Twain. Or Both.

Yeah, and he's literally always right too, cleaning Otaku scum up everywhere he goes.

Michael Ende

His works do not discuss otaku, unlike Anno

youtube.com/watch?v=ngZ0K3lWKRc

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

What preaching is done in Princess Mononoke that isn't challenged immediately?

See, his shit talking is something that he does it in person, not through his films.

On one hand, I admire him for it. On the other hand, he is a giant in his field, I don't think he'd be so willing to speak his mind if he was on a lower position on the food chain.

Anti-militarism. Duh. Fairly bloody for a Miyazaki film.

Lol

Master and Margarita felt pretty ghibli-esque

Roald Dahl is probably closest, both have their own special kind of endearment, semi-wacky plots and pretty prolific

Books by Michael Ende, such as The Never Ending Story

>Anti-militarism. Duh
What? If you are referring to that iron city shit, then you are mistaken. The initial scenes cast it in a negative light, but the inclusion of the lepers shows the positive aspects to industry and the military. Princess Monoke and the iron lady chick are foils for one another, and serve as opposite extremes. The main character successfully negotiates the crisis of the story by finding a medium between the two. It is a very moderate film.

I agree with him here. I can imagine him feeling especially insulted when they said they wanted to create a machine to draw as well as humans.

>The main character successfully negotiates the crisis of the story by finding a medium between the two.
A solution found through conquest and militarism, of course.

Thank you!!

I actually watched a documentary-esque thing about Miyazaki/Ghibili today and the guy is incredibly melodramatic.

It's almost like he's an actor. Everything he says is an extremely preachy monologue. I quite liked in a way though.

>Not one mention