How does one become a Cynic?

How does one become a Cynic?

Why not just think for yourself? If that's what you become after years of thinking, then so be it? Why willingly wall yourself in to one mode of thinking and philosophy?

green text everyone else

If you care for that stuff just for "muh intelect" then you're just not cut out for this.

Also
>Diogenes
>Übermensch

I don't really know if that's valid, but that made me kek.

It's pretty obvious you do not know if that is valid..

Its a short cut

There is no shortcut if you wish to gain actual insight on your own being and becoming your own person.

>think for yourself

Yeah, because exploring philosophy as you please and as to what interests you or peaks your curiosity is such a horrible thing. Unimaginably more horrible than just following one mode of thought and never letting yourself stray from it because you've already predetermined that you want to constrain yourself to one philosophical mindset.

>Plato was discoursing on his theory of ideas and, pointing to the cups on the table before him, said while there are many cups in
the world, there is only one ‘idea’ of a cup, and this cupness precedes the existence of all particular cups.
>“I can see the cup on the table,” interrupted Diogenes, “but I can’t see the ‘cupness’.”
>"That's because you have the eyes to see the cup," said Plato, "but", tapping his head with his forefinger, "you don't have the intellect
with which to comprehend ‘cupness’.”
>Diogenes walked up to the table, examined a cup and, looking inside, asked, "Is it empty?"
>Plato nodded.
>“Where is the ‘emptiness’ which precedes this empty cup?” asked Diogenes.
>Plato allowed himself a few moments to collect his thoughts, but Diogenes reached over and, tapping Plato's head with his finger,
said “I think you will find here is the ‘emptiness’.”

Sweet mother of all keks my sides have never been more in orbit

>tfw you realize all the classical thinkers of antiquity you admire would look upon you with the utmost scorn for frequenting Veeky Forums, would accuse you of surrounding yourself with degeneracy and perversion and being wholly pathetic in your need for company and conversation
;_;

Bullshit, they'd be bewildered by Veeky Forums and take to it as their vehicle

*jerks off*

>peaks your curiosity
Wrong.

how do i become a child again

>Tfw I'm literally more educated than most of the classical thinkers could ever dream was possible and so is your average 21st century mediocre intellectual.

It would be extremely difficult for them to understand the contexts of literally every part of an image board and the cultures.

Right, so if something interests you, should you not further examine it? Hmm, I suppose you're right. We should never chase our wonderment or interests. Just stick to what we're told. That's the way to live life. Let's all follow the same path, don't you agree?

knowledge != intelligence

I sincerely doubt it. They'd see this Congolese basket weaving consortium for what it is, a gathering of sad, disenfranchised and deluded persons, who, feeding off our debasements as a common ground, willingly engage in our mutual undoing out of desperation. I can't even imagine the contempt most classical Greek thinkers would have for our ilk.

>übermensch
>cynic

...Huh?

Not true. You know about different things. I bet you don't know how to build a boat or what prayers to say to ensure good fertility or some shit like that which they probably would as a part of every day life

But if they could, obviously they'd wouldn't approve, weighing it against their own values.

Well, I guess the only way to find out is to know first hand. Let me know when you come up with a way to travel through time.

>hurr durr nothing short of definite literal experience has merit
You realize this discredits almost the entirety of literature itself, right? Are you giant retard?

Yes but they'd be equally against most living humans today, by that standard. Different things are important to us.

Fucken radical.

Wow, is that what you pulled out of my comment? kek

Joyce would unironically spend his whole day in /s4s/ and that's good enough for me.

Yes...that's probably true. Still it troubles me, makes me feel even more irregular, divorced from the 'manliness' I ascribe to those who came before, some genuine thing/way of living and thinking I believe is now lost to us.

If the only way to find anything out is first hand, that's verbatim from you, what good are books? It's a perfectly valid conclusion from a stupid statement.

>First hand
Kant.png
>Find things at all

If you fulfil your needs then you are succeeding. If you want to be more like them you can always do so without compromising that, it's just a vanity.

That's not verbatim, kek.

No I meant it's "piques" not "peaks"

>Plug a chicken

I am here to laugh at your folly.

Anons, would you be willing to live in poverty but become as based as Diogenes?

Estimate the distance to the sun and the circumference of the earth with no telescope or certain knowledge of the shape of the earth or outer space by watching shadows move in a well like eratosthenes hundreds of years before christ, you simple turdburgler.

kek

I think it was Plato who coined that phrase.

Of course, he was more interested in the "plugness".

Did you not learn geometry in high school?

Sounds like a good highschool assignment everyone could do a priori, huh?

Like many geometry problems, the solution is clever, not difficult. A smart high school student could solve the distance to the sun and circumference of the Earth problems quickly.

Given that the original user is claiming a mediocre intellectual can solve these problems as opposed to high school students, I'm confident that any non-idiot with just a BS in physics, math or engineering could figure these things out.

>Like many geometry problems, the solution is clever, not difficult. A smart high school student could solve the distance to the sun and circumference of the Earth problems quickly.
Tfw I must be a fucking retard.