RARE PYNCHON

Surprise us with you incredibly rare pictures of Thomas Pynchon Veeky Forums. I have one of his hand and a pig piƱata.

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.ca/books?id=iwgENmqHm68C&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=new scientist 23 august 1984&source=bl&ots=fA8YMsQxQd&sig=lzeuLLlWTaT-6WpUYCHBbaEVH9o&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjn7_HThqzRAhVG4IMKHcYyC6AQ6AEIGDAB#v=onepage&q=ariadne&f=false
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Physical_Laboratory_(United_Kingdom)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._R._Ammons
hrc.utexas.edu/collections/guide/american/
norman.hrc.utexas.edu/fasearch/pdf/00442.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/8qwp9mw81tb25/Documents
mediafire.com/file/a4cfu86401b5jhg/pineconeclues1.tar.gz
discord.gg/PDtcz
twitter.com/AnonBabble

more interesting would be to study all his posts he made here years ago

but whatever, obsess about his face, as if its more interesting than the weird shit him and farina were involved with at cornell

I went down that rabbit hole last week. One of the wierdest feelings in my life. I felt like Oedipa Maas . The e-mail that was a reference to an old movie, which lead people to a weird twitter account and the Byron epitaph. Creepy.

what did he post and how do you know it was him

>Rare Pinecone

I can't remember specifics, but no one else could write posts so full of goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior. Every post was like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the thread & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.

It must have been him

We don't really know if it was him, but his level of inteligence and ability to write was impressive. He also made a bunch of references that lead to him. Check it out for yourself. There are more links to his posts in there. warosu.org/lit/thread/S3039755

I found this. Written by a guy named David E.H. Jones, who is interesting on his own...count the number of references to Pynchon.

books.google.ca/books?id=iwgENmqHm68C&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=new scientist 23 august 1984&source=bl&ots=fA8YMsQxQd&sig=lzeuLLlWTaT-6WpUYCHBbaEVH9o&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjn7_HThqzRAhVG4IMKHcYyC6AQ6AEIGDAB#v=onepage&q=ariadne&f=false

its page 80 if the link doesn't work

Where is that purple tinted pic of pynchon that occasionally gets posted from?

Just to the right of the news paper stand

this?

What if David Foster Wallace is a total idiot and Pynchon wasn't spending 17 years smoking bongs but ghost writing for science magazines?

Now go ahead and read about the Chemical Research Laboratory in Teddington that he's referencing.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Physical_Laboratory_(United_Kingdom)

Notice it's all stuff that is dealt with in some way in GR, Inherent Vice and Mason & Dixon?

Oh, yeah, and did I mention David E.H. Jones makes "fake" perpetual motion machines?

Yes

Jesus christ the rabbit hole man

Didn't Pynchon post on /tv/?

what?

no idea, I feel like a manchild whenever I browse that idiotic board

Crazy, right? I was up all night going down. You start to get paranoid after a while. I wish we knew more.

I keep hearing about that but I've never seen the archive of it, anyone have it?

Also this is apparently his son, it was on a thread about a week ago

Do you think another book will materialize. I can't help the sinking feeling that The Japanese Insurance Adjuster is an elaborate ruse by Pynchon himself or a third party

he's a character from Vineland and I'm hoping that he's just sitting on a that magnum opus about the civil war that will be released posthumously

wanna see my folder of all the references and screenshots of his posts?

Who got those letters he wrote?

In one post he mentions the difference between seriousness and solemnity (I think a reference to all the silliness in his book when dealing with serious subjects) and then he goes on to say..."I wont name the professor, cause then you'll know where I went to school etc"

Well, there's a guy A.R. Ammons, who taught at Cornell and he writes poetry with the same mix of high and low language, folk speech and science jargon.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._R._Ammons

I haven't read Vineland yet but I assume it's not as bad as reputation would lead me to believe. His commitment to not letting himself be snared by the media's trappings is admirable but I wish we'd get an interview before died as unlikely as that is. In a way it would kill part of the myth he's built. Hopefully if there are any projects in the pipeline he finishes them before he dies

Does no one think this is crazy as fuck and reads like it was written by Pynchon?

> reference to National Laboratory
> bananas
> Daedalus (James Joyce)
> DREADCO (seems like something straight out of GR)
> wants to put humour in chemistry
> Serbo-Croat (Against the Day)

I mean, come on, either David E.H. Jones helped Pynchon with research or Pynchon was ghostwriting that whole Ariadne column for years.

the middle section gets stupid as fuck but the beginning and end are really solid

I think Vineland is a continuation of Ep. 4 of GR, in that he really doesn't think literature is going to save the day

>wanna see my folder of all the references and screenshots of his posts?

Yes please.

looks like Stephen King desu

That would be lovely.

only if you give a fuck about that newscientist article

I don't know. I find it creeply exciting that a writter who is so obsessed with conspiracy theories and mistery, is involved in something like this. The Japanese Insurance Adjuster with a blueberry fetish seems a bit to weird even for pynchon, I don't know if that part is real, but I want his posts to be, really bad.

do you guys like IV? Ive read it twice now and I find it barely interesting

Why? It makes perfect sense if he was writing Bleeding Edge, to come and shitpost on Veeky Forums to get a sense of internet culture and where its headed.

Now look up the Harry Ransom center (it's okay, I already did). Here's what they got

hrc.utexas.edu/collections/guide/american/

> A corrected typescript of V., the first novel of Thomas Pynchon (b. 1937), containing one hundred excised pages, is accompanied by eight rare personal letters from a young Pynchon to two close friends in the 1960s. The archive also contains early notes, outlines, and drafts for an unproduced musical, "Minstrel Island," on which Pynchon and J. Kirkpatrick Sale collaborated in the spring of 1958.

norman.hrc.utexas.edu/fasearch/pdf/00442.pdf

So call them and pretend like you're an autistic STEMlord curious about some random fact and before you know, you're faxing with the Ruggles himself!

It's amazing. I've learned so much about the 60s/70s because of it. My research folder on IV is almost as big as all the clues I've compiled from the pseudo-Pynchon posts on Veeky Forums.

Stop thinking Pynchon puts in random trivia for no reason. When you understand the gold coins with Nixons face on it...whew, lad. Inherent Vice might be my favorite of his. Not a single line wasted.

I read it in the summer. It's either a good beach reading for when you've read most of his other work or a good intro. I think the "conspiracy" is easy to decipher but nontheless smart. Why did you read it twice if you found it barely interesting?

I do.

i am afraid im stupid and read it again to be sure.

Dear user,
Would you be so kind as to provide us with some way to read this two precious folders you keep mentioning?

what have you learned?

> implying I'm going to give away the secret that will almost definitely transform me from a NEET to the leading Pynchon scholar worldwide, changing the entire scene of Pynchon studies as we know it

read Tasso's Jerusalem Delivered for me and then maybe I'll deliver.

ok thanks

it's just a disorganized mess of saved wikipedia pages

I don't think it would make any sense, but I could upload all the posts I think were related to him/not-Bill Murray.

So could you explain why you love IV so much?

Please post. Enlighten us proles.

because he knows so much about what was really going on in the 60s

ask yourself, why the fuck richard farina was signing his book with the word "zoom!"

Post folder please

Would the HRC really have any contact info that goes beyond than his wife/agent as listed in the screencap though?

I got 37 posts that could be his, even though as I look back on some it doesn't really fit Pynchon although the posting style is the same.

For example, he says he's published 3 books, when he had more than that. And he mentions having half-siblings that are really young.

Yes

Probably. I remember reading somewhere unrelated of how some science researchers managed to contact Pynchon via fax for a question about a reference in one of his books. And then I remembered these posts.

It probably just goes to his agent/wife but maybe it's more reliable than a random postcard to the agency.

Folders
If you got 'em, post 'em

heres the screenshots of the posts I think are by the same guy

mediafire.com/folder/8qwp9mw81tb25/Documents

i think i fucked it up

I remember a thread where the 'pynchon' came back and generally made an ass of himself, admitting he some other writer.

That said, to the guy who's digging deep into this, please keep it up, it's facinating and I wish I had the time and patience to look into it with you.

Damn how'd you know his new novel was about the civil war? I heard it was from a reliable source who heard from another reliable source who heard from a further reliable source (all academics). I posted on lit that his next and probably final novel will be about the civil war but no one ever paid attention.

you told me

you better not be lying

alright, I rar'd it, so you dont have to save each individually

mediafire.com/file/a4cfu86401b5jhg/pineconeclues1.tar.gz

I'm not lying. I hope the academic that relayed the info to me isn't lying.

these threads are very pynchonesque or something. there needs to be a word for it.

I wrote Pynchon a letter at his wife's address about two years ago.

I started it, "Dear Mr. Pinecone", I mentioned the Veeky Forums thread and asked him about it, explained that I am a young writer suffering from all the classic young writer problems.

And, most importantly, I put in the envelope with the letter a 5x7 picture of a life sized plaster T-Rex with an American flag behind it and the back of the photo I drew the Trystero symbol.

(I also drew one on the back of the stamp but you couldn't see it)

It never got returned to me, so I'm guessing someone got it, no idea if it was him though.

That address he posted was slightly fucked up. I called him on it and he actually apologized saying it was his mistake.

So unless you actually checked the address yourself it probably didn't make it anywhere. Sorry, bro. Try again.

Which article is it, user? Or which page? I am trying to navigate that page on mobile and failing miserably

I did look up the real address before sending it and realized the one he posted was incorrect.

I sent it to the current address of the Melanie Jackson Agency.

I'm actually kind of embarrassed by it now.

Come on mate you're on a mongolian comic forum noones gonna steal your secrets

When I'm finished compiling and organizing all the references I was thinking of making it into a youtube video because it would be easier to follow than an essay but I dunno.

I have a binder full of autistic mind-maps of this shit. I stopped because I now have to read a bunch of primary sources like Tasso and Byron and Suetonius. Basically I would have to clear my schedule for a month and do nothing but dive into this.

page 80

haha I like the trex idea, whatever, he probably gets tons of freaks and schizos trying to mail him anthrax or some shit

yeah but I want tenure

Nice try, but your technique is a little too cookie cutter. These are how mos Pynchonposts are, They mention a somewhat obscure writer in an offhand way and how they had some wacky connection with the culture or maybe drugs.

case in point:
>Torquato Tasso

Do you honestly think Pynchon, the mad man who gave us Gravity's Rainbow and V, would restrain himself and use the same formatting, same references, and call him self by his meme names here on Veeky Forums? as previous so called Pynchon posts? Pynch would have blown our minds right about now with some more shit he knew instead of regurgitating the same shit.

Yeah, I hope that if anything it was amusing. To him.

here's a screencap of the newscientist article if people are interested, someone merge the two, I'm shit with gimp

1/2

That thread is how Pinecone became his meme name on Veeky Forums. This is prime Veeky Forums history.

what? It was him to started the "Pinecone" meme. The dude from brooklyn or whatever, (the one who came back) wasn't the same guy. I'm 100% sure of it.

2/2

Oh don't be a twat.

youre right, tenure is degeneracy

And to flaunt your supposed folder and then not share it

OP here. I've done quite a bit of autisic research on the topic as well. If you want I could help you. I'm currently NEET, so I have the time and I am desperate to get to the bottom of this.

yeah but the real gold is handwritten, the folder is just a bunch of wiki pages

its shit like
> Paul Baran
> Tudor Conquest of Ireland
> Lemma (mathematics)
> Johan van Oldenbarnevelt

it doesn't make sense without my notes because it's crazy tangents

Post what you got lads. I want to help. We can make this a collaborative effort.

How many notes do you have? Is it possible to scan them?

>"Proverbs for Paranoids 3: If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers." - Gravity's Rainbow, The Pynchmeister

Come one now, are you guys sure you aren't letting yourselves be sucking into an inverted vortex of Decoy Inquiries, Planted Evidence and, oh boy, General Fuckery? The Man Himself would never leave His tail un-tucked, now, would He? .. .right?

It's from a CNN story about Ruggles from around the time Mason & Dixon was published, it's on YouTube

you guys got discord accounts?

Nope. Is there something else better suited we could use? Something tailored towards collaborative work on documents?

discord.gg/PDtcz

git gud

well, join and then we'll figure something out

i just dont want no plebs, small group of autistic patricians only

>using discrap that rapes your privacy

join the discord or find a better solution

fucking Veeky Forums

implying Veeky Forums doesnt rape your privacy

decide something now because i wanna go read

Anyone else read 'Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me' just to see his friendly depiction of TP?

buy me david hajdu's book on farina and tell me what pinecone sez in it

Google Doc anyone?

That was in the crying of lot 49.

no it wasn't

When was this? I don't recall reading anyone call him out

Found the defector.

Thomas Pynchon is a CIA tool. Against his will, mind you. His writing contains talent. This is not arguable. The man can use his language in way Mia Khalifa can suck a dick.

He is a remnant of MKULTRA. A lost, lonely, and confused man writing of the conspiracies, either true or false, that were imbedded into his psyche during the mental torture he was subjected to by CIA psychologists.

He's nonsensical because he has no sense. He's of no threat to anyone, so he's in the care of an agent.

>I'm assuming you're British, and the most I'll say about my own career as a writer is that I was pretty infamous in the UK once for writing something that was serious but not solemn about a topic that a lot of people in the UK had unwarrantedly passionate emotions about (from the POV of an outsider like myself). So you should see the hate mail I got from bluehaired pensioners in Swindon who would never have heard of my existence if the tabloids hadn't decided to make some American nobody writer into the villain-of-the-week.

crack this one