Facts that blow your mind

The largest black holes currently known have about 20 billion times the mass of the sun and dwarf our entire solar system from the sun out to Pluto in terms of the dimensions of their event horizon.

Not only that, if you were to wait one year for every particle in the universe, about 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 years, you would see the black hole shrink in size by only about .00000001 percent in mass from Hawking radiation, assuming that nothing fell into it and you somehow blocked any and all radiation from going into it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=giiuqTdBSTc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerr_metric
youtube.com/watch?v=qsN1LglrX9s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Consider a region of empty space. Is it stuck in time? It has no mass or velocity, so isnt it outside of time?

T. Non astronomer

the range of gravity is infinite.

On the set of the Original Spider Man movie, Willem Dafoe would bring a humongous foot long green dildo and smack people with it

What's inside the event horizon?

>100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 years

So is there going to be an era when the Universe is just billions of black holes floating around, with virtually no light

Yep.

Every now and then one of them will get small enough that it actually starts to radiate a substantial amount of light for a time.

After the last one of these lingering black holes burns out, that's it. NO more new light. It'll take about a googol years tho.

yea. we're currently in the golden age of astronomy. the universe keeps expanding, stars expand off and die. stars don't get created as much. black holes eat up the universe. they collide and make giant black holes until there is nothing but black holes cos universe expanded and shit and particles don't collide often enough. then those black holes will die in trillions on trillions on trillions of years. and then what? another big bang?

The highest energy cosmic ray recorded was an an atomic nucleuswith akinetic energyof 48 joules, equivalent to a 142g baseball travelling at about 26m/s

It was travelling at 99.999999999999999999999510% of c

There are different "sizes" of infinity. Or put in another way, it is mathematical fact that there are different types of infinity

No, there aren't. Tiers of infinity past what is countable are nonsense and sophistry due to people who have been tricked into the idea that bijection is the end-all-be-all of number itself. The very fact that you yourself felt obliged to put "sizes" i in quotation marks in a bid to attempt to explain the ill-founded concept that you would repeat is the immediate clue to us that it is a bogus concept. "Size" and "infinity" a priori don't mix.

It is totally absurd to attach such finitist ideas to any infinity whatever, no matter its fictive "tier".

Wildberger fuck off please

space is in constand flux. partcles are created and destroyed all the time in "empty" space

Lost, but desu, Wildburger would have rejected your notion of infinity to begin with

cuck

>but Professor, without bijection how do I prove that two sets have the same cardinality?

youtube.com/watch?v=giiuqTdBSTc

I read recently that they managed to figure out that there is a black hole whose event horizon is spinning at close to the speed of light.

My question is, given how enormous a black hole is, how much energy had to go into making it spin up to such a speed? It seems like it would take more energy than exists in our universe to do that.

Honestly i'm just blown away when I think about how far away the truly distant galaxies are. It's such an alien thought, we know some stuff and at the same time we know nothing.

I'd also give my life if there was some way for me to travel into a supermassive black hole.

You might not die immediately from going inside if the tidal forces are low enough, but i think youd find it a dull death-inky absolute blackness and a certainty that anything you experienced would be lost forever.

Low tidal forces are why I specified supermassive. I'm sure radiation would be fatal but if there was some way to get deep inside and see what's up in there that'd be awesome. If It was just blackness i'd be prepared for that, but let's face it, we don't really know what goes on in there.

lies

We could be wrong about black holes, but being wrong is very different from lying. Care to elaborate?

the only things that dilate time are gravity and relative velocity, both of which depend on acceleration, so one could say that acceleration causes time dilation

Now to completely obliterate your mind, calculate its density. Should be way less than water.
I'd you got a drop of water that huge, it'd just form a black hole.

That doesn't blow my mind at all
I have no notion of these sizes

I never said being wrong EQUALS lying, LIAR

t. retard that cant even into space
>muh universe sooo gigantic

>all-purpose comment

>Consider a region of empty space
Space is never emtpy

>another big bang?

>tfw every big bang is the same
>you've lived this shit life ten trillion googillion times
>you're going to keep living this shit life through infinite cycles forever

I want off this ride.

Wait what?

I thought black holes were all about density. Swarzschild radius and all that jazz.

This is a photo taken of Jupiter, not a trippy painting

Jupiter inspires me so much as someone who paints

The size of G(64)

That's a big boypussy

>I thought black holes were all about density.
All the density is at the center of the black hole.

(continued)

What is saying is that if all the mass of the black hole were distributed normally across the entire volume of the event horizon, it would overall be less dense than water.

So you need to imagine a huge ball of water the size of

What would happen if this hit yo nutsac?

People actually think that Astronomy is a worthwhile way to spend your time.

I mean, it's just glorified trivia with no value or use.

Talking out my ass here, because I don't really know. You know how if you're spinning and you pull your arms in you spin faster? My guess is the star was already spinning super fast before turning into a black hole. Some pulsars spin at crazy speeds.

You are correct. All that stuff just starts with rotating gas, which speeds up as it contracts under gravity.

>You know how if you're spinning and you pull your arms in you spin faster?

Wait seriously?

I've gotta try this next time I start spinning.

This is bullshit. None of you actually know this stuff, noone does. It's just guesswork.

That's s good trick

If you say so.

I fucking love science! Xdddddd
The atoms in our body came from stars! We are the universe! Xddd

>Black holes are real

Oh dear. Who's going to have the heart to tell OP?

source

looks like a painting of the inside of an asshole

Are there theoretically stable orbits for photons inside the event horizon?

only if particles that carry gravity are passing through that region at the time

is that something like the eye of an everpresent tornado?
was it ever solved what the spot was?

It would be extremely painful

Why do you think they arent?

who the fuck finds this enjoyable.

Because no one's been into deep space or had any contact with a black hole.

The logic behind them is upheld by equations that mean nothing.
Contradictions like "light is the escape velocity of a black hole", to "Not even light can escape a black hole".
Black holes aren't a crushing in-escape of gravity.

Think of this instead: what lies at the center of a magnet?

have you never watched figure skating?

>AU

>particles
so... matter
>created or destroyed
fuck off retard matter can neither be created or destroyed

>as if you would notice a 1mm hole going all the way through earth, which is probably ginormous orders of magnitude bigger in comparison with a nucleus through a body.

butthurt samefag detected

nougat

>matter can neither be created or destroyed
Lol. Are you serious? is this bait?

>being this autistic
Wow. So science dont reals if you say so? If we havnt literally touched a black hole it doesnt exist? Just because you misunderstand basic concepts of black holes doesnt mean they are contradictory. Go back to highschool physics if you really cant understand this shit.

me in the middle

Does that mean there will literally never be any light after this period? So the universe will be just one giant nothingness?

Not him but is that not true?

google pair production lol

its not that "matter" cant be created or destroyed, its that energy can not be created nor destroyed. All matter is is concentraited pockets of energy and that energy can be turned from matter back into regular energy again.
Thats what happens during nuclear reactions. The binding energy is either taken from the mass of the particles when they bind together. Thats why the nucleus as a whole weighs less than the individual components of the nucleus

>event horizon is spinning
you're retarded

>when you dont meme

He's right, you know

Yes, if the black hole is spinning.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerr_metric

>A surface on which light can orbit a black hole is called a photon sphere. The Kerr solution has infinitely many photon spheres, lying between an inner one and an outer one. . In the nonrotating, Schwarzschild solution, with α=0, the inner and outer photon spheres degenerate, so that all the photons sphere occur at the same radius. The greater the spin of the black hole is, the farther from each other the inner and outer photon spheres move. A beam of light traveling in a direction opposite to the spin of the black hole will circularly orbit the hole at the outer photon sphere. A beam of light traveling in the same direction as the black hole's spin will circularly orbit at the inner photon sphere.

No one has even come into contact with a star let alone a black hole.
There are no images of a black hole, no footage.
It's a theoretical construct based solely on observation and a misunderstanding of gravity by attributing it solely to mass.

black holes doesn't exist you dumby

Can someone who isn't an illiterate autistic please rewrite that wiki page so I can actually fucking read it properly?
I understood what it meant, I just don't think anybody should read science without the aid of literature.

you are such a faggot. I hope you feel bad

sup Mr. Crothers?

Hi Bill Gaede!

The problem is that crossing the event horizon is fatal. Imagine crossing it feet first. As you cross, your body parts are slowly severed. First your feet, then your legs, then your torso. When it hits your heart (probably before) you die from losing blood pressure.

its a sad day when i cant even tell if this is trolling or not.

Yep and they can't really consume anything as they'll be trillions of light-years apart due to the expansion of the universe.

Grahams Number?

Gravity-based "lifeforms" might emerge from a cosmic arrangement of black holes given enough time. Black holes to them would be like atoms to us.

You're a big guy

Learn to read you utter spastic. He clearly said supermassive, for the very reason you are stuck on (tidal forces). If you crossed the event horizon of a supermassive black hole, you wouldn't even notice because space would look normal to you until you got much closer to the singularity.

>can't even spell dummy

I think it's clear who the thick one here is.

youtube.com/watch?v=qsN1LglrX9s

In order to figure out WHAT THE FUCK EVERYTHNG IS MADE OF

you need to build a Large Hadron Collider

the diameter
of the fucking
milky way

only THEN there will be enough GeV to figure out what the big bang is made of.

Not really, we figured out the higgs boson must exist long before we built a collider that could actually make one.

have they learned any new from it? i have not heard any news about for years.

>Facts that blow your mind
An AK-47 fired bullet fired at your head contains 1,991J of energy

>GeV
Get with the times, gramp. We >TeV now.

Fair enough, you deserve some (You)s

question from non astrofag: is gravity faster than light? does it act istantly? i mean, we watch a random planet but we are seeing the light reflected from it, does gravity acts accordingly with his position that we get from light? or it shows its true position, where it is right now?

be patient pls

Yes, yes and yes. I'll never get tired of saying this.

then why teachers at school would threaten to rape us if we said there was something faster than light?
what's the point on keeping to say that?

Do not listen to You cannot send any information faster than c, that includes gravity. We don't know exactly how gravity works yet, but it only works as fast as c.

*panics*
who's lying here?