Do you agree that the four major literary achievements are:

Do you agree that the four major literary achievements are:

- The Greek Plays
- The Plays of Shakespeare
- The Romantic Poets
- The 19th Century Russian Novel

Those definitely are deserving, but there's no way you can leave out High Modernism.

>who is the author that inspired lit.jpg

Latinamerican Boom kek.

Or the Golden Age of Spanish Literture.

no

You forgot the Bible

all ok tier compared to based quixote

No

Which writers would you include?

keats looks EXACTLY like liv tyler

I agree with this OP. Though there's a lot left out.

what about Isaac Asimov?

Get rid of the romantics, and add The divine Comedy.

Do you think Dante is strong enough to be an individual like Shakespeare on the list?

>Shakespeare
Top pleb

american postmodernism is the greatest achievement of mankind

fuck off DFW

And me

>no persian poets
>no chinese or japanese works
etc, etc

it is boring to be so about the commonly known works of the west.

Not even the West. The anglo-ness of this board is endless. I do understand that it is only natural that an Anglo country cares more about anglo writers, but at some point you've got to realize you're not that big of a deal.

Anglophones btfo

how about you just go ahead and suggest something yourself rather than just bitch and moan about the lack of muh diversity

OK. The Greek plays are nothing compared to a lot of the world's epic oral traditions. Romantic poetry is meh. What else do you want, I'm not some literary genius, I'm just a guy who posts on a fucking imageboard.

Postmodernism should be one.

>No spanish

your list is garbage

>Greek plays are nothing compared to a lot of the world's epic oral traditions.
>oral traditions
>literature
>Literature, in its broadest sense, is any single body of written works.
>oral traditions
>I'm not some literary genius
yes thank you

>eastern lit

LMFAO

oh yeh because so many people are really well up on their Sino-persian-ese folk poetry, jesus do you realize how much of a hopeless pseud you are?

You muh Bolivian slam poet lads...you know most academics spend their lives on a TINY area of a movement? Like, 'Romantic poets' is even way too broad a church to be expert in. There is nobody on the planet with an informed opinion on the western canon and China and Persia and able to give meaningful comparisons...it's just cheerleading for your local shit.

>no Genji & Heian era Lit
>no 4 classics of China
>no Meiji Restoration era lit

>Shakespeare
>no Spainish Golden age

Lope de Vega made 10+ times more plays than Billy ever did

And people care about 0 of them

>no anime

Borges cares.

SAVAGE

Shrekt

Quality over quantity is the golden rule

Considering that Lope de Vega is still studied as a major figure in the Golden Age of Spanish Baroque, he probably has a significant number of quality works.

Even if only 10% of those plays were of quality, he would still have more quality works than Shakespeare.

Beyond that. Cervantes, of course.

Woolf, Joyce, Pound, Eliot

I'm not sure whether I'd call those "The" major literary achievements, but those are definitely somewhere near the top.

Commonly known, yet uncommonly read and studied.

Besides, what time period of asian poetry would you compare to the romantic?

I love Japanese and Chinese works myself, but I'd be surprised to find a time period which would surpass the Romantic, or Greek Antiquity, in value.

So, in other words, you have insufficient knowledge to provide an alternative, but you simply assume there is one out of a contrarian, hipster-esque attitude.

Typical.

Come back in five years, young man - when your Asia-mania has dropped to reasonable levels and you begin to realize the surpassing value of Western culture.

lol

The full scope of Chinese Classics is probably as large or much larger than Greek Antiquity. There are stacks of texts that the academics in the country itself haven't even touched yet.

We're not merely speaking about size though.

This is about contribution.

Greek antiquity influenced every Western work which came after it.

If many of the Chinese works haven't even been touched by Chinese scholars, they can't really compare to the Greek tragedians or philosophers.

Eastern lit is garbage, face it

Yup

>the Spanish Baroque is more important than Shakespeare
psued detected

cervantes literally read shakespeare

But Greek plays are boring

>anglos
>people
choose one

what about my diary desu?

Replace Russian Novel with Cervantes

He says, while speaking in an anglo language on a computer (an invention of anglos), on the internet (the invention of anglos), on a website (created by an anglo).

I'm only half anglo, but seriously, stop thinking with your feelings and be realistic for once.

>anglos
back to /pol/ with you
don't you know you're not supposed to take their memes seriously

Most of the high modernist ones, for sure.

Define a "high" modernist

A modernist who is fuckin blazed out of his skull

#420 blaze

bump

What an awful thread.

user, I love the Romantics with all my heart but I would never put them on that level.

Name a.movement more influential and deserving

Influential =/= deserving

I know your post didn't explicitly state that, but influence shouldn't be a criteria for greatness imo. Not that the romantics wouldn't cout to the greatest of literature.

Name a movement, and im not implying the two adjectives are mutually exclusive

>the Spanish Baroque is more important than Shakespeare
It is a fact. Sheakespeare is fucking mediocre I don't know how anglos overrate him so much

Borges disagrees

The Germans invented the computer during the Second World War. They never get credit though, I think because of political considerations. They were also the first country to launch an object into space, and this too is completely ignored in histories of space flight.

>The Germans invented the computer during the Second World War
Charles Babbage did in the 19th century
>They never get credit though, I think because of political considerations
lol
>They were also the first country to launch an object into space, and this too is completely ignored in histories of space flight.
Have you never watched the History Channel?

Babbage never actually built his computer. By that logic da Vinci invented the helicopter. I don't watch television, so I don't know what the history channel says. They usually mention von Braun and his involvement with NASA, but not the fact that Germany was the first country to reach space.

Modernists.

Ditch Russian Novel.

BOOM HEADSHOT

Which modernists?

The.

Correct List:
The Aeneid
Late T'ang poetry
Rimbaud
Finnegans Wake

>Asians
>Ever on par with the West artistically
I'm not saying they never produced anything good or meaningful, but come on. There is no Asian writer comparable to the likes of Shakespeare, Homer, Tolstoy, Pushkin etc.

u fkin srs m9? what are you, twelve?

>Greeks are Anglo
>Russians are Anglo
Okay.png

The Four Books and Five Classics
Tao Te Ching
HanShan
Dream of the Red Chamber

Start with the sandrats (Gilgamesh, Torah)

Spanish Siglo de Oro.

>He read the Asians in translation.

Actually it was the other way around

This is funny that France was the most prominent producer of art and high culture through the 18th century but the maker of the image opts not to include them. What a Pseud!

Genji Monogatari

>tfw learning Mandarin and Japanese to read Mo Yan and Mishima in their native language