/g/ wiki vs Veeky Forums wiki

>yfw when Veeky Forums has better and more solid wiki on cs despite fact that they laugh at /cs/ whole time.

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Computer_science
Veeky
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>economics is in the list of subjects pertinents to Veeky Forums
>economics is a science
I told you guys

Not a single bold/italic word or image to keep the reader's attention.

0/10

Basic Economics is a requirement for engineers.
Intermediate Economics and Econometrics is needed for actuaries.
Game Theory and Mathematical Finance is math.

>/g/ wiki
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Computer_science

Top kek. It's just a day one CS101 lecture that they couldn't be assed to finish.

>>.8936317
The sensible thing to do would be to add a link to the CS wiki of Veeky Forums, there

>quoting by hand

How new are you?

The install gentoo wiki has helped me do actual science, I cannot say the same for Veeky Forums's wiki. I didn't even know Veeky Forums had one.

so this........ this is the power of compsci... whoa

How?

I don't think most of /g/ cares for the math and theory on the Veeky Forums wiki and would rather have their stuff that covers ruby on rails for dummies...

It's literally a sticky post!

no its not the same one

/g/dpt has an eternal hatred for Veeky Forumsagdg because of muh gaymer memes. Though when I visited agdg, I saw one enginedev guy, one almost finish game with complex mechanic, and people were busy sharing their progress. compare to the state of dpt where there is always a flame war of what is the best language.

>basic economics is required for engineers
(((Basic "economics")))
That explains a lot
Let me guess, manufacturing consent isn't on an engineers reading list?

lmao, how embarrassing for them.

/agdg/ is actually pretty legit. I sometimes drop by there just because the quality of content is so high that I learn something new and see something cool each time I visit.

/dpt/ on the other hand is literally epeen waving and retarded beginner programming mistakes. /g/ in general has very little content in terms of CS, it's mostly a consumer electronics board it seems.

Yes it is!

What does that have to do with anything?

I think he's trying to communicate with us, maybe he's trying to show us he's retarded.

Simple: for /agdg/ programming a means to an end. They are motivated and pragmatic. They will use "bad" languages and technologies if they're helpful.
/dpt/ is pretty much the opposite. They have no motivation and prefer to obsess over languages. Of course they shit on /agdg/ because to them it's embarrassing these video gamers are actually getting shit done.

>sci
Links to an absolute shitload of 1000+ page books using C++, most of them completely irrelevant or poorly written. If my first introduction to programming was slogging through a 1000 page book on C++ minutiae I'd have never bothered continuing.

>g
The first chapter of a computer science book written for middle school students

You win, but not by much.

There are other language recommendations

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Programming_Textbook_Recommendations

>1000+ page books

Most freshman books are ~1K pages.

g is a meme, programming was invented for vidyas

>Links to an absolute shitload

P:P&P using C++ and C++ Prime aren't a "shitload" of books. The rest are clearly marked as references.

>they have no idea how to code a quicksort

Typical CS majors

>/g/ in general has very little content in terms of CS

Because most cs majors learn very little content in CS.

/g/ is even worse than Veeky Forums which is saying something. it's a constant churn of first year students and tards cargo culting opinions and has been like this for a decade.

>>yfw when Veeky Forums has better and more solid wiki on cs despite fact that they laugh at /cs/ whole time.
better and more solid than what, you reddit spacing retard?

That's because people grow up and move on, while fresh undergrads arrive. Veeky Forums just keeps accumulating endless hordes of autismos who are still posting frogs and online IQ results on a site for contrarian teenagers at the ripe age of 25+.

>contrarian

Veeky Forums isn't nor ever was "contrarian".

I beg to differ

>No anime girls
>No guide of how to take screenshots to look cool
This isnt even cs

holy...

>Possible books to look into if you want to start with C++ (which is arguably the most versatile)
versus g recommending scheme. you don't understand why C++ is a bad language or scheme is a good one because you aren't knowledgeable regarding programming, so you shouldn't opine on the issue

C++ isn't a bad language and it's the programming language of science.
Scheme is useless.

>it's the programming language of science.
Bullshit. Pretty much every "scientist" is a python baby.

>Scheme
Literally
>Meme

Only for casual tasks. You don't run Python on a super computer.
Besides, the trick to make Python run at acceptable speed is just to call C/C++ libraries as much as possible, rather than writing code yourself. It can hardly be called programming.

>C++ isn't a bad language
like i said, you don't know what you're talking about. C++ is the biggest cluster fuck of a language in existence today. there's no reason for templates to be turing complete, yet here we are. strousup's C++ book is 10x longer than K&R, and for why? to have an OOP language that's worse than Java, which is pretty bad itself with its verbosity and boilerplate. C is good for having low level control of resources without having to write assembly. why would you use OOP with that? the only thing i can think of is if you're writing gaymes, in which case just use an engine someone else wrote. it'll save you the headache
if you want low level control or speed, use C. if you want OOP for whatever reason, use java. if you want fast development, use a powerful language like a lisp or python

For quick throw away scripts and glue -> Matlab/Python
For programs that will run for hours/days/weeks -> C++/Frotran95
For the damned -> IDL/Labview

>c++ is too hard
kek
Keep crying you fucking java babby

>literally a brainlet meltdown

>to have an OOP language

C++ is not an OOP language like java and C#. You are the one that clearly doesn't know what you're talking about.

The is your place, stay there.

literally incorrect, but i doubt facts matters to you when you're uninformed regarding them
saying idris is hard is valid, because it has powerful features that require thought to be made use of effectively, or maybe saying prolog is hard because it's so unintuitive compared to most languages. a language being verbose with lots of useless features while having few useful features doesn't make it "hard", it makes it bad

also: c++ is probably the single worse language to recommend to someone starting programming except php, so if the /g/ wiki recommends literally any language other than that for novices, they're a step up on you

But C++ isn't verbose and it doesn't have few useful features.
I mean it might be verbose compared to some one trick pony FP languages, but compared to other general purpose languages it's fairly succinct.

>literally incorrect

Everything in C++ doesn't need to be a class ergo C++ is not a OOP language like Java and C#.

>useless features
>"It's not the way I do it so it's worthless"

Take your autism meds.

you've never written in a non-verbose language
yes, you can just use the C subset, with streams maybe. that doesn't necessitate such a bloated, gross language like C existing, >>>>>>while still being weak

>java babby calls anything else verbose
>b-but muh functional autism toys
lmfaoing @ your life kiddo
C++ is literally Java without the inflatable armbands of GC and kiddie pool of JVM. Judging by your endless listing of languages you should actually try and develop something for production instead browsing wikipedia and trying out different flavors of reference helloworlds.
*unsheaths autopointer*
*teleports behind you*
Nothing personnel, brainlet.

SYOP BOILING MY BOARD CREATIONIST FAGS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>>java babby calls anything else verbose
java is MORE verbose than C++, it's the most verbose language that people use today. that doesn't make C++ concise

>*unsheaths autopointer*
>*teleports behind you*
*blocks your autopointer, wielding a unique and shared pointer*
heh, looks like you haven't kept up with the specifications

C++ gets its conciseness from the vast opportunities to introduce zero-cost abstractions.
It might not be the best lang for small toy programs, but for large programs it can't be beaten.

>browse /g/
>see a thread saying Veeky Forums is making fun of us
>check it
>people are fighting over java and C++

Just stop already, anything that isn't C is shit and you all know it.

>it'd be different if it had first class functions

auto reply = [](){ std::cout

This thread is being raided by /g/tards

a worthy opponent at last
prepare your void**

having anonymous functions doesn't mean functions in C++ are first class. stop embarrassing yourself by defending a bad language..

/g/ here. I have solved up to problem 75 of Project Euler, and learned quite a bit abouts maths, such as primes, primality tests, sieves, Farey sequences, continued fraction representations, and so on.

>recommending java
>ever

kill yourself

They added full lambdas like 6 years ago, stop embarrassing yourself contrarian retard.

i'm not typing what i just wrote out again. you either don't know what lambdas or you didn't read my post. functions in C++ are not first class

>Learn to program in scheme
>then learn to program in python
>and then, 2 years later, finally start learning to program in C++
vs
>Learn to program in C++ from the start

Wasting time is a code monkey past time, we actually want to do shit.

Protip: You don't have to learn everything about C++ all at once.

after you know C, you have a good headstart on about a million languages that are based off of C. i think i get it, that you guys use C++ because it's considered "the language" for whatever Veeky Forums things you use (and take knowing it as a badge of pride from what i can see). if you use it because you have to, that's fine. you don't need to know any other languages, high level concepts or whatever. that's fine. but don't act like it's a good programming language just because it's the one you have to use

You came here from /g/ didn't you? You probably even went as far a creating a thread about the /g/ wiki being laughed at... Ummm hmmm. Typical. You know, we dissect frogs around here... For science.

Hory shit you're retarded. Of course C++ doesn't treat all functions first-class, you mongrel that isn't what you originally claimed.
>it'd be different if it had first class functions
Boost had functors for fucking years, then it was merged in STL and augmented with lambdas, generic lambdas and closures. Fucking kill yourself, brain dead nigger.

>a programming language is said to have first-class functions if it treats functions as first-class citizens. Specifically, this means the language supports passing functions as arguments to other functions, returning them as the values from other functions, and assigning them to variables or storing them in data structures.

You can do all of that in C++.

struct datastruct{
std::function f, g;
};

std::function foo(std::function h){
auto k=h;
return k;
}

After you know C++, you have a good head start on many more languages. There's nothing magical about C.

C++ was my first language and I learned scheme, prolog, fortran, matlab, python, x86, verilog, etc just fine afterwards.

>not an argument

So you learned next to nothing.

What the fuck is reddit spacing?