Does/Can Negative mass exist?

Does/Can Negative mass exist?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_mass_(solid-state_physics)
phys.org/news/2017-04-physicists-negative-mass.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I hope so

Astrophysics is a fucking meme.

Everything is a fucking meme, do you even know what a meme is?

The every word in this post is an individual meme that exists the way it does because people agree to use it.

The entire English language is one giant meme cluster, science is a meme, religion is a meme, every political opinion is a meme.

Well memed.

god I fucking love memes

good meme

yeah how do you think balloons work dumbass

I hope this is bait.
Look, a Balloon has the ability to fly up in the air because the Balloon contains Helium and Helium is less dense than air, hence it flies upward. Helium still has mass, retard.

looks like you truly learned from the master

there isn't anything that we know of that prevents matter with negative mass from existing but we have also never observed anything with negative mass in nature

so if it does exist it may be very difficult to create sort of like antimatter

Yeah sure, why not?

One reason is that it's expected behavior would almost certainly violate conservation of momentum/energy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_mass_(solid-state_physics)

yes for phonons

It comes around if you want to calculate the field of some weird mass distribution with holes.

No physical law says it cannot exist but we have no theorized way to produce it either. We I've have used massive particles to create effective negative mass though. If negative mass exists in nature it would have been pushed to the edges of the universe almost immediately after the Big Bang anyway

so how much does a balloon weigh? can't really weigh it on a scale

Put balloon on scale in a sealed room. Evacuate the air. Measure the weight.
???
Profit.

Hi dear user:
phys.org/news/2017-04-physicists-negative-mass.html

>Effective negative mass
>Effective

Yes, mass is the resistance to aceleration.

Therefore negative mass would be like a particle that when you give it acceleration, it accelerates even more than the force you exert.

But there cannot be negative energy though, so such negative mass particle cannot be at rest (einstein meme equation)

t. meme pro