Woah, ignoring all the political aspects of the picture...

Woah, ignoring all the political aspects of the picture, is anyone else glad that we live in a world where people can be shamed for not reading?

I'm not insecure enough about myself to care either way

>ignoring all the political aspects of the picture
heh

The only reason libcucks care is bc its The Donald.

Obama's probably barely literate.

It doesn't state what kind of books they expect him to read. Do not get your hopes up.

Is reading inherently superior to watching films or playing video games? They're all forms of media that can be enlightening at their best and absolute garbage at their worst.

>We live on a planet in the middle of nowhere and no one thinks twice about it. Trump wins the presidency and everyone loses there minds
-jaden smith

Clearly a president should read the latest books from our nation's leading intellectuals on matters of the economy, sociology, foreign relations, finance, and other topics, in addition to many journal articles and daily news stories.

I haven’t read “The Waste Land” for a year, and I never did bother to check all the footnotes. But I will hazard these statements—Eliot contains the same ecstatic vision which runs from Münzer to Yeats. However, he retains a grounding in the social reality/order of his time.

Facing what he perceives as a choice between ecstatic chaos and lifeless mechanistic order, he accedes to maintaining a separation of asexual purity and brutal sexual reality. And he wears a stoical face before this. Read his essay on Tradition and the Individual Talent, as well as Four Quartets, when he’s less concerned with depicting moribund Europe, to catch a sense of what I speak.

Remember how I said there’s a certain kind of conservatism which I respect more than bourgeois liberalism—Eliot is of this type. Of course, the dichotomy he maintains is reactionary, but it’s due to a deep fatalism, not ignorance. (Counter him with Yeats or Pound, who, arising from the same milieu, opted to support Hitler and Mussolini.)

And this fatalism is born out of the relation between fertility and death, which I touched on in my last letter—life feeds on itself. A fatalism I share with the western tradition at times. You seem surprised at Eliot’s irreconcilable ambivalence; don’t you share this ambivalence yourself, Alex?

makes you think

What enlightening video games are there? Id play one if there were any.

>video games
>enlightening

>This person I like doesn't read? Well, they must be too busy!
>This person I don't like doesn't read? They must be lazy!

>He has no time to read, he said: “I never have. I’m always busy doing a lot. Now I’m more busy, I guess, than ever before.”
What exactly is wrong with this? He's a successful businessman. He doesn't have time to ponder the meaning of life, because he actually gets shit done.

Dark Souls.

Friendly reminder that dubya was a big reader

What is your case for deciding who exactly the leading intellectuals he's reading should be?

I played dark souls. It was aesthetically pleasing but not enlightening

Hoover institution, UChicago, Harvard, MIT, Woodrow Wilson school at Princeton... not much else desu

My dad is a businessman. He leaves the house before six in the morning and comes home around eight or nine. Sometimes he's on the phone until midnight and then up again at five or so for another day downtown. You don't get to have much of a life at all, much less ponder it. It's not an enviable existence, imo, but some people just have a calling for it and don't enjoy anything else. My dad often complains about it, but he's admitted that "the money is too good to turn away."

Commerce: Not even once.

What kind of business

He runs a dildo factory

You don't know much about Obama, do you? He's very well-read. Trump will be one of only a handful of presidents who weren't readers. I'm embarrassed for my countrymen who voted for him.

bioshock series talks a lot about the human condition and there are a lot of metaphors

dishonored is a bit similar but I wouldn't say it has the same meaning

all really good games though

>You don't know much about Obama, do you? He's very well-read.
Does this mean that despite being well-read a person can be a bad president?

Also, old people don't read. They fall for click bait and get 90% of their news from headlines, most of this is either fake or based on pop-psychology that can easily be disproven if the source is analyzed. Think of how many of your relatives get their news from Facebook.

>editor of Havard Law Review
>proffessor of law at University of Chicago, the last classical/core liberal arts school in America
>barely literate

i think its you t b h f a m

>You don't know much about Obama, do you? He's very well-read.
He WAS well-read when he was in his early 20s, but now he reads the intellectual equivalent to McDonald's and flavor of the month diaspora lit, basically whatever The Atlantic and Salon are promoting

Bush on the other hand IS very well-read

Obama is very well read. You should read the short stories he wrote, they put most of lit to shame.

Should the POTUS not have good knowledge of current trends in thought? Where should he acquire knowledge outside of the government sources?

How is Bush more well read? What does he read that is different?

>the law program at Chicago follows the undergrad core curriculum
>affirmative action is proof of literacy
Sometimes I think it must be nice to be an empty-headed progressive

>Should the POTUS not have good knowledge of current trends in thought?
Absolutely not, current trends in thought are beneath the office of the presidency,
>Where should he acquire knowledge outside of the government sources?
The King James Bible, historical texts, great works of Western philosophy

>How is Bush more well read? What does he read that is different?
The Bible, historical texts, great works of Western philosophy

Fairly plebeian taste, but not bad as dishonored is fun and the first bioshock is pretty good

>actually want a "reader" as your head deal maker

>All that Christshit
Yikes. Take some advice from your man-God and sacrifice yourself.

Of course you can be well-read and a bad president. Look at Woodrow Wilson and John Quincy Adams. Both were towering intellectuals but unsatisfactory presidents. We shouldn't, however, take this to mean that the converse is true.

Dapper fellow desu

cuck literature doesn't count

he actually pulls it off

>"They misunderestimated me."

>We shouldn't, however, take this to mean that the converse is true.
Where did I say you should?
That's why it's a rare fedora and not a common one.

I know you're all being being farcical, but that's definitely enough. I'm out. Never coming back to Veeky Forums. Fuck you guys.

>Fool me once...

/pol/tards ruin everything

Bye retarded Christcuck.

Did somebody post the chart on /r/books again?

Godspeed user, I wish you many productive hours of reading away from the shitposting and bait threads

Jk, see you tomorrow mate

bioshock and dishonored are god tier games, honestly the best that reached the mainstream market

>the law program at Chicago follows the undergrad core curriculum

I don't think you have a clue how law school works, nor how highly ranked the U. of Chicago's College of Law is.

Why don't you suck Obama's dick more, libcuck?

Obama didn't become a professor because of affirmative action you dumb frogposter.

Regardless of your political affiliations, you shouldn't be so pigheaded so as to ignore fancy things like facts and reality just to feel like you "won" something on Veeky Forums.

GET THE FUCK OFF MY LIT

>The Bible

Lmao looks at these triggered redditors

person who doesn't read > person who reads milk and honey, or something like that

Remember when Veeky Forums used to:
>discuss modernist authors and the romantic poets.
>shit on kant, explore scholasticism, and circlejerk over theravada buddhism.

Remember that guy who routinely posted "last 3 books you read, current book you're reading, next 3 books you'll read" with the same picture of the man wearing multiple hats. He doesn't post here anymore. Same goes for that guy shat on pynchon everyday, along with stan, bear, edgy, and the irish hicks.

Veeky Forums has always been shit, but some times are shittier than others

>anyone who disagrees with me is wrong!
Tell me more about your feels, dumb frogposter.
Wrong. Someone reading popular books tells you nothing about them.

So what you want Obama to read and probably reread the classics? Why can't he engage with topics he may not want to be too familiar with but wants to at least gain some insight. The Bible isn't going to give you insights as how to address current trends, maybe morally if he is indeed that sort of person; it has no standing in governmental influence.

you did not go through enough games, you have go to at least NG++++, without looking anything up for help

>Remember that guy who routinely posted "last 3 books you read, current book you're reading, next 3 books you'll read" with the same picture of the man wearing multiple hats. He doesn't post here anymore
That's because he wisened up and fucked off.
Those threads were mad comfy though and great for recs, got introduced to Hamsun thanks to one of them

>Wrong. Someone reading popular books tells you nothing about them.
All the way through? Unironically? By choice? It can tell you some stuff, or at least hint at it. Maybe don't judge by this alone, but if all else appears to be the same, I'd trust the non-reader more, they come off as less of a sociopath

Also where the fuck is the autistic all caps guy, I fucking forget his name. Used to post greyscale pictures of children. Had a strange tumblr of .gifs and ramblings.

>is anyone else glad that we live in a world where people can be shamed for not reading?
you mean in a world where unconventional politicians can be shamed for anything

shaming anyone else for not reading is not quite so easy

Reading popular books makes you a sociopath just as much as not reading them. How strange that you would call someone crazy for not reading classic literature on a loop forever.

thanks for proving that Obama is barely literate