Changing the face of popscience

>*blocks your science*

How can we stop shit like this from happening? Can we start a grass roots campaign or lobby the right people? Who the fuck do you write to and complain about this shit? Is if just down to writing your congressmen and/or voting at the lowest level to trickle up to the higher levels? Making sure the local schools and governing body of the schools are lobbied and informed?

I just want popsci to be cleaned up from all the broscience, pseudo-science, and outright fake propaganda. I believe this shit is seriously harming the future of legit science for generations to come.

I sure as hell don't have money, let alone money to throw at something like this. Thus, my only avenue of approach would be grass roots stuff. I'd prefer showing real science that people want to see to keep them away from the "bad science." That plus educating them to spot the difference between the two is essential. I'd rather not directly vilify, especially since it seems some of the popsci is doing that on its own.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/o0HiiZGle6c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's wrong with doing it yourself (or equivalently, paying someone you approve of to do it for you)?

That is the exact question being ask. What is the best way to go about such an endeavour? Also, just by posting this thread, some action is being taken.

The only response is to punish the people producing this stuff by no longer buying their products/services. Companies are afraid to piss off e.g. feminists because it causes a huge negative backlash. If we were to start creating the same backlashes, stuff like this would never happen.

Bill nye is little more than a cringe factory at this point. The people making this an issue are the people like you who are memeing it into relevance. Stop doing that.
Communicate science on an individual level. Like me I'm a biologist and showing people all the amazing things life does gets me off, and the science facts get them panties moist too. yuh.

Lol

What you want is for government regulation on science. You should push for the following regulations specifically:

1) Only people with a BSc can become popsci writers
2) Only people with a BSc can become popsci performers
3) Directors of shows, actors, and other roles in this industry can only exist as long as there is some board of advisors, all of who have to have a BSc above them.
4) Make the producing companies legally liable for ANYTHING they say. To be specific anything that makes bad research or uses good research but modifies to fit an agenda or be clickbaity should be enough cause to sue the company who produced the article or show.

No, then it would be a positive feedback loop ya dip.
Also you people are just as bad as the democrats. Advocate for individualist feminism or die piggot.

>The people making this an issue are the people like you who are memeing it into relevance. Stop doing that.
This. It's a podunk netflix-only pandering series. It's so minor they aired the entire season at once; this is the 2017 equivalent of straight-to-video shlock.
The only people who give a single fuck are the diehard SJWs the show is directed towards and /pol/ leakage who think spamming the fuck out of Veeky Forums with garbage threads is political activism.

>BSc
you're too soft

What product is Bill Nye selling in his show exactly?

That's some FDA-level stuff. All it takes is one rich lobbyist with an agenda to tear it down.

>It's so minor they aired the entire season at once

I think alot Netflix shows do that. At least everything from Stranger Things to Sens8 did that.

YOU KNOW WHAT WE HAVE TO DO.
STOP ASKING.
*PIC RELATED*
*VID RELATED*

youtu.be/o0HiiZGle6c

>How can we stop shit like this from happening?
Tow the line until you are in grad school. Then go to seminars/colloquia and BTFO out of their arguments. Troll humanities journals, then write articles about their bullshit using science. Boom publications!

That's hilarious.

Is there something a NEET can do and still be NEET? I think that'd be more along Veeky Forums's level.

Why does it matter?

Loss of scientific focus and bad science are what kills good science. You wouldn't be posting on this board without good science. You'd probably not even be alive.

Bill Nye is a fucking cis white male. He needs to get out of the way so a black trans woman can be the new face of science

ITT: People mistaking the scientific scene in america for science as a whole.
There are other countries that do science, retard.
Major hubs of science include Europe, UK, Canada, Far East, Australia and NZ to name a few, so science isn't ruined forever just because America is the only one plagued with muh sex junk bullshit

>How can we stop shit like this from happening?
Don't consume the media and parent your children.

>Who the fuck do you write to and complain about this shit?
Don't be a statist, any short term benefits are massively outweighed by long term results.

>Making sure the local schools and governing body of the schools are lobbied and informed?
This is valid.

>I just want popsci to be cleaned up from all the broscience, pseudo-science, and outright fake propaganda.
Write letters to editors and executives.

>I believe this shit is seriously harming the future of legit science for generations to come.
You're not wrong.

>I'd prefer showing real science that people want to see to keep them away from the "bad science."
Best bet is content curation. The right content is out there, it's just a matter of not letting faggots be the only voice.

>That plus educating them to spot the difference between the two is essential.
People who are incapable of already seeing the difference are either children or are too stupid to care.

>I'd rather not directly vilify, especially since it seems some of the popsci is doing that on its own.
Being silent is the wrong course of action. Discredit them, all you have to do is bring attention to that which they do themselves. Nothing wrong with that.

>Europe, UK
love this fucking meme

Doing better than United Spectrum of America

>Also, just by posting this thread, some action is being taken.

>want girlfriend
>masturbate lots

yes i see your point

not the point
how in the sweet heavenly fuck is UK not Europe?

because a couple british guys thought it would be funny to piss off some germans

Soon it won't be :)

EU isn't Europe, just part of it

Science has always been tightly attached to politics. It's the alternate, factual, real and 100% legit version of "God says so".

Incorrect simile. It would be,

>want girlfriend
>post masturbation vids online

>ITT: People mistaking the scientific scene in america for science as a whole.

Do you know what the term "popsci" even means on Veeky Forums?

Very good points.

>Do you know what the term "popsci" even means on Veeky Forums?
fb.com/ifuckinglovescience ?

Is that facebook? I don't have an account to see it.

Neither do I. I meant it as a generic url of what I think popsci means on Veeky Forums.

I don't think the show makes any reference to real science, the entire thing is more like an attempt to change people's attitudes or pander to people that already agree with the philosophy. Not really that dangerous imo.

>Not really that dangerous imo.
Feels over reals is always dangerous.

Propaganda in the guise of science is extremely dangerous, user.