Stop recommending Khan Academy

Stop this shit. It is objectively bad compared to a good textbook and under-prepares students for anything algebra.

Stop recommending numberphile. it's objectively bad compared to a good class and under-prepares students for anything number theory.

It's a supplement you dipshit. You go to class and then if you still don't get it you watch three 6-minute videos on your shit. It's used for brainlets struggling in school.

That said, he makes some interesting insights and connections that my instructors never mentioned

>It's a supplement

Then stop recommending it as anything but that. People glorify khan academy as if it surpasses any textbook ever and somehow magically makes everyone understand

Khan academy is great if you are like a business major trying to pass your "Calculus for Business" class.

If you are actually in STEM Khan academy is pretty shit. And if you find yourself relying on Khan academy you probably shoudl question if you belong in stem

the only math youtube videos i watch are from european and indian people

OP, what's your level of education? If you're gonna lie, please do not pick anything pure math related.

Is rudin good???

this too, that guy is an autist.
but back to khan, r'ing the picture of "in-flect-shun points"

You know a guy has watched a lot of indian math videos when he uses the phrase "and now we are having"

textbooks are fucking ass compared to a person what are you smokin

can you shit in the streets without the axiom of choice?

It's easier to find something in a textbook than in videos

lolno

I don't know his organic chem videos were on point.

Keep in mind this guy was one of the first to put higher education on youtube.

He got better over time and his way of explaining is arguably better than many professors, if only because he gives some kind of intuition, which often lacks with uni staff because they are so familiar with their courses.

Wtf textbooks have you been reading? Are you a highschooler?

Every time I see a video of someone explaining math in MS Paint, I have urges of genocide. I have yet to meet someone whose studies got saved by a video MOOC for any other reason than "I'm a lazy-ass brainlet who never worked at school, but when it's recommended on Facebook and features memes and Internet celebrities, I am willing to have an attention span of over 10 seconds."

>le edge
Most text books are fucking garbage. Written by garbage people that write like garbage.

That's an incredibly broad and bold statement, gonna need some proof on that. Otherwise, you don't really have an argument

Found the mobile game addict kid with an attention span of 5 seconds.

I'm an adult with a career. I'm just not as edgy as you to think textbooks are the best thing ever. You are just trying to puff your chest about your big ol brain, and how you are to mature and smart for video. Give you a good ol' text book! I'm also not the original person you responded to.
>Veeky Forums is one person

Do you feel guilty and insecure when someone is actually capable of reading books?

Literally the dumbest argument to ever make on a website that is based on reading.

why don't you use a textbook and use khan as a supplement for studying, then? dont have to get all autistic about it friend

I made no argument. I just asked about your feelings.

I know you might be afraid that you might have to quit watching your epic prank videos for a while, but reading is worth it.

First you need to put your hand close to a book and let the book sniff your hand. This way you can build trust between you and the book. Avoid sudden movements, or the bond between you and the book may shatter. Give some treats to the book, and let it become comfortable around you and the surroundings. Once the book trusts you, you can lift it and open it. Then the book will tell you its secrets.

I don't see how you could not like numberphile.

Every video is made by that one guy. Right before he starts shooting he probably asks a random professor "what is some interesting math you can explain in a 10 minute video?" Then you just listen to them talk about math.

Next time you are on jewtube watching episode 452 of a 500 part minecraft letsplay, remember numberphile is bad, you cucks

>is actually capable
>implying I am not capable
KYS moron.

No one is impressed with your bookshelf of 23 unread science texts.

There's no reason to be upset. I don't blame you for having a short attention span. The pay-to-win mobile games and shitty youtube videos can affect anyone. But we can fix your problem together!

Not even close, friend. Textbooks tend to be clearer in exposition and much more organized than whatever Sal can come up with. Are there shitty books? Yes but Sal's videos are even worse than these since his ideas are always disjointed when explaining things and his lack of insight into problems creates students who can solve the one example he provides but cannot solve anything beyond that. Also, I'm not about videos. There exist better material, MIT OCW, Stanford lectures, and Yale come to mind, all of whom have videos on youtube. These are better than Khan academy.

you're cringe personified consider jumping off a building

>Also, I'm not about videos

*Also, I'm not above videos

We can jump together. Then we can cure your ADD and game addiction permanently.

His videos are like 10 times better the shit they teach in my third world shithole and better than those shit tier santillana textbooks everyone love for some reason

Seriously, fuck santillana and fuck spic teachers

PatrickJMT is better but Khan is more handsome

>4 chins is one person

Stop being a cunt and discouraging people from educating themselves because you're competitive and want to feel like you're special.

Here's a book recommendation for you.

That's not discouraging learning, its discouraging bad learning.

Nombah foive

Most students using him aren't ever going to have to learn algebra and those that are are likely to use a textbook for it. Ergo you are objectively wrong.

Many people won't bother with textbooks, so might as well bad learning than no learning.
(keeps us ahead of the game anyway)

Oh right... we should all go back to learning the 1700s because that's the best way, right?

Since when is reading a bad and outdated way to gain information? Video lectures are nice only if the professor presenting is good (i.e. not Sal).

I agree with what you have to say, but I just need to point out that your last paragraph there was very autism.

Khan MCAT psych is GOAT. Literally better than all other textbooks combined on the subject.

give me textbooks for beginner math ( elementary arithmetic / algebra )

khan academy is garbage for math, but i do remember finding it useful when i was doing kidney anatomy.

larson and hostetler's "precalculus" is solid

Dude khan academy videos with Khan as the host are fucking trash and mad boring. He just takes too long to get shit done.

HOWEVER, the khan academy videos with the younger hosts tend to be a bit more tolerable as they teach and don't take as long doing so.

I've personally found the khanacademymedice videos to be the best. The guy explains stuff easily and shows you the methods needed to figure out stuff. At least that's how it was for thermodynamics stuff.

Lang's Basic Mathematics
Stitz and Zeiger Precalculus
Any of I.M. Gelfand's books
The Art of Problem Solving Series
Any USSR-era school book
Any US cold-war era school book

Algebra: Chapter 0