How comes anti-scientism is so popular, when our whole modern world is only possible due to the achievements of science?

How comes anti-scientism is so popular, when our whole modern world is only possible due to the achievements of science?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organism_containment_and_escape
oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2017/01/grass_seed_industry_fearful_ab.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>when our whole modern world is only possible due to the achievements of science
false

Because science is exclusive... and you can't just buy your way in.

Because telling people that their ignorance is just as good as someone's knowledge will do wonders to rally them to your cause

because it's bullshit
explain quantum mechanics to me without making it sound like bullshit, you can't

Because most scientists are weakling cowards with tiny testicles lacking any masculine fortitude and they are happy to let the fucktards run things.

Because you can't handle the math

partlices act as probability waves, until they are measured

Because science is patrician while most people are fucking plebs.

Unfortunately, 'not sounding like bullshit' is not a constraint of the laws of nature.

Quantum mechanics is nearly a century old at this point, and the underlying concepts go back even further. Its predictions have been proven over and over again to the extent that essentially all modern technology relies on it. Without the mathematics of QM, it's not possible to explain lasers, radioactive decay, semiconductors, superconductors, even the god damn photoelectric effect - and I'm sure I could go on for several more paragraphs.

In answer to your question OP, this is why anti-scientism and anti-intellectualism is so popular - any lay person can hear or read something far beyond the scope of their common knowledge, especially in the fields most favoured by pop-sci like quantum mechanics, relativity and cosmology, etc. and erroneously believe they have the mental tool set and knowledge to properly evaluate it. No random civilian would hear an in-depth description of the interior workings of a Boeing 747 engine or a supercomputer's circuit boards and declare it's bullshit because they didn't follow, yet a description of the interior workings of an atom is apparently fair game.

It's gonna sound like bullshit to you until you do the math. After that it's up to you whether you think it's a system that is consistent with the real world (hint: it isn't, just like Newtonian physics isn't, but that doesn't make it bullshit)

Why is "anti-science" the new word for "climate change denial?"

I mean, that's what they are always talking about right? Climate change? Or are people denying science in other ways too?

>nobody was anti-science until climate change came along

Did you forget about creationists?

You would be surprised how stupid and uninformed the average person. Most people just don't understand what science is and what it's trying to achieve. Take this user for example Science is always a work in progress. You can't fault it for not having an answer to something, because it never claims to have an answer to everything.

If you mean by anti-scientism by that you don't believe everything that sex junk Bill Nye or climate "scientists" tells you, then there is all probabilities that modern world is possible.

>until you do the math
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ITS NOT ABOUT THE MATH YOU DIPSHIT. The math is the consequense. If the premises suck the math won't help. Yes, you will get the same answer that the experiements tells you but by wrong logical reason.

There's climate change denial, anti-GMO movements, creationism, naturopathy and homeopathy, anti-evolution and a whole slew of other stuff.

Einstein helped to create atomic bomb, killing 250,000+ human beings

>There's climate change denial,
Implying climate won't change by it's own. Dinosaurs existed when there was way hotter than today. It's like an ice age now.
>anti-GMO movements,
You shouldn't alter the genome of your food or anything else living. In Europe, GM food is banned and for a reason.
>creationism,
Please, tell us why there is something rather than nothing
>anti-evolution
Evolution just states that the fittest survives. But how did the fittest gain those aspects in the first place?
>naturopathy and homeopathy,
We can agree that these are bullshit, but there are just tiny amount of liberals that believes in these.

ITT: retard doesn't understand what's a physical model

There. Because of people like this.
Almost everyone thinks they must be smart and a good thinker by default, then life teaches them they are not, and they fall hard into denial and "alternative facts" to compensate.
Because if you contradict "established facts", you must be just as smart as '''mainstream science'''. Right?
So.. ego basicly.

The speed of light is FUCKING BULLSHIT

>Or are people denying science in other ways too?
yes

What is a physical model?

Lmfao

>It sounds counterintuitive therefore its bullshit

How was Trump University user

Literally nothing is counterintuitive about QM. We just describe shit with probabilities and boundary conditions give rise to quantum phenomena. It's fucking trivial.

But in the case of Trump specifically, only climate change denial is something he does.

Too much brainlet worship in our world.

Virtually everyone is anti-science in some form. You just have to find out what their religion is. Christians are obviously anti-science, but when liberals make a religion out of "equality", they are anti-science in regards to evolution and human differences.

At the end of the day, politics is about securing power using any means necessary, oftentimes they will say "we are the only side that is scientific" but that is virtually never true.

He's also implied (maybe not straight up said, but heavily implied so don't try to weasel him out of it like a politician) that vaccines cause autism. Most other stuff he won't directly speak out on, but his base is very clearly supportive of a lot of the things I mentioned.

Half of Trump's family is jewish.

Mathematical model is not physical model. Probabilistic view is not physical.

It is if it describers reality.

Quantum mechanics isn't just a series of algorithms you math fag. Go read up on the GHZ experiment. It doesnt fit within classical logic.

People are feeling less important.

God doesn't play dice

t. Einstein

special snowflake syndrome.

We live in a society where you are told that no matter what you believe, your belief is just as valid as anyone else's.

A model is physical if the math makes sense, and there is a fairly direct way to interpret the math as describing some realizable system.

the atomic bomb saved orders of magnitude more lives than it claimed

Because asshole utilitarians brainwashed the masses with all the "there's no point in researching that" thing.

Ingrates

Congrats! You got 1/5 answers correct. That's 20% science literacy! Welcome to the Republican party!

Is this a troll or is this guy legitimately retarded?

Muslims

You just rest their shit up don't you

Judging by your post I can only assume how many fidget spinners you own.

[spoiler]not enough[/spoiler]

be cause thinking is way to hard for S.J.W´s

>Einstein helped to create atomic bomb
no he didn't. he had almost nothing to do with the project. the letter from him to the president wasn't even written by him and he had to be convinced by a bunch of other scientists to put his john hancock on it.

Even before we gave it a name, using experiments and evidence to figure out how things work and the best ways to do things has always been how we progress technologically.
See: Agriculture.

Science isn't about consensus. Your reluctance to hear alternatives to mainstream thought betrays a certain unwillingness to think, and an ego, as well.

Creationism isn't retarded because it's "egotistical and insubordinate". It's retarded because it's not science.

Everyone wants to be on the side of science until they have to actually address challenges to their thinking.

Science is about consensus, the consensus of evidence.

>Your reluctance to hear alternatives
They have been heard and rejected for good reason.

>There's climate change denial
Apparently, pointing out that hit-and-miss correlation (sometimes termed "cherry picking") does not equal causation is somehow anti-science...

>anti-GMO movements
Additionally, suggesting that a new technology be adequately labelled and tested before releasing it for consumption by the general population and allowing it to mingle with the biosphere (and our crops) in an irreversible manner is also "anti-science"...

>creationism, naturopathy and homeopathy, anti-evolution and a whole slew of other stuff.
Stupid shit, but lumped with the two former entries to make them look equally invalid.

It's amazing how, when it comes to evolution, both the left and right are anti-science. The right is filled with dumbass creationists and the left is filled with dumbass egalitarians who think evolution stopped with humans

It says scientism not semitism, but I initially read it the same way.

I won't say anything about climate change since I don't know anything about it, but
>Additionally, suggesting that a new technology be adequately labelled and tested before releasing it for consumption by the general population and allowing it to mingle with the biosphere (and our crops) in an irreversible manner is also "anti-science"...

Do you think that GMOs are just thrown out mindlessly? The development process is plenty sophisticated, and humans have been messing around with genes for a very long time, just with worse technology. Just look at dog breeds. GMOs are safe, labeling them just encourages baseless fear.

>global warming from greenhouse gasses is not a causative theory
Kill yourself moron.

This retard happens to have BSc in applied physics :)

ur still a retard or troll tho
>trying to rustle peoples jimbos on Chinese meme trading forum

x d

It makes your computer work. Understanding and designing transistors depends vitally on quantum theory.

It fits within classical logic. It doesn't fit within classical physics notions of local realism.

People only believe in the science they can see and touch. They know that the phone in their pocket works. But they're skeptical about theoretical stuff that will take decades to maybe affect them (in the case of global warming) or it might even take tens of thousands of years to notice anything (in the case of evolution)

GHZ experiment can be reduced to expressions jn classical logic. It yields a contradiction. So either GHZ is false, or classical logic is false.

You can only derive a contradiction by assuming local realism, e.g. local hidden variables. "Local realism" is not the same thing as "classical logic".

>it's bullshit bcoz I cain't unnerstannit
L0Lno fgt pls

>assuming a general statement is referring specifically to the one thing you don't agree with
And you people wonder why we treat you like you come from /x/.

Same thing as anti-union.

>Hey, we workers get paid well enough, what do we need unions for?

this desu senpai
>hey I'm not getting wet, why am I still carrying this umbrella?

Because don't give a shit about right from wrong, they just want their way.

The majority of people work in inter-human relations, such as sale, marketing etc. They don't see the fundamental role and importance of science and technology.

>anti-scientism
>a bad thing

You do realize scientism is where people take science and turn it into a pseudo religion right? So being anti-scientism is a good thing if you want to protect the integrity of science.

anti-scientism will be wiped out now that Trump is in charge.

the whole modern day american society is based on the anti scientific assumption that niggers are human

Wow, you are so edgy big guy

Correlation is not causation, you dumb ass pseudoscientificial

No. Im talking about classical logic which does not take into empirical factors of the world. When you reduce GHZ to classical logic we aren't talking about locality anymore, since locality does factor into classical logic.

Does not**

DUUUUUDE WTF I HATE BLACK PPL NOW LMAO PRAISE KEK

See

I have no idea what you're talking about.
1- One can do classical logic without assuming local realism.
2- One derives contradictions only when assuming local realism.
3- Therefore, one can do quantum theory, with classical logic, without local realism, and without deriving contradictions.

The vast majory of the population is brainlet.

In case you guys hadn't noticed, there is an entire wave of anti intellectualism and not just science denial

Well you are suggesting that science is the end all be all of existence by saying the modern world is "only" possible due to the achievements of Science. Now, I sure as hell am grateful of bow amazing my standard of living right now is and how easily obtainable information is. I'm sitting here sick as shit in bed trying my hand at a niacin flush with access to tons of water, cranberry juice, tea with tons of herbs and honey that is ridiculously smooth on my sore ass throat, cheap ass dextromethorphan, and tons of aspirin. I called off from work and have been comfy as fuck sitting here with my dog going from reading about the Felidae family from the Patherine subfamily and the big cats to the Puma genus to the domestic cat.. which lead to me reading about the temporal and occipital lobes after learning the Jaguar goes for the head instead of the usually felid aimed neck hoping to break into the prey's temporal lobe.. which lead to me reading about the Russo Japanese War because of how injuries in it lead to findings in the occipital lobe's role in sight. And then onward to reading about naval warfare in general.... And I'm just sitting here high and comfy as fuck because fucking Science yo.

BUT you use that word "only" which is bullshit. You forget the millions of lives of hard labor towards construction, farming, and mantience of all that is around. Science is great and all, but it's the working class that keeps those wheels churning, and you ought to be grateful for that. Your lack of gratefulness puts the average person off. You come off as a smug prick and no one wants to listen to you or your science.

>president trump
>anti-science

uh oh, retard alert.

he was the only one who understood the science behind mass communication/psyops well enough to become the POTUS when he should have lost over and over and over again.

just because YOU are too stupid to see how he did it doesn't mean HE is anti-science. it just means that you're anti-intelligent.

Trump was chosen by the kikes. After Trump no-one will dare to vote for a non-establishment candidate for the next few decade. Trump is much easier to control than most "populist" choices, so it was a convenient time for the goyim to get a refill of their fear of outsider candidates.

>Trump was chosen by the kikes

stopped reading there. fuck off back to your containment zone, retard.

Because most of the science people know are lies made to sell a product, marketing is the name of the game and money will ALWAYS be the top priority in any field.

combination of religious nutcases, idiots who think various areas of science are a Chinese or Jewish conspiracy against them (like antivax, anti-AGW) and pretentious literary types who just want to jerk off to French philosophers and seem erudite by dismissing science as a bourgeois fiction that reproduces capitalist oppression and resent science for dis-enchanting the world.

>global warming from Mexican food related greenhouse gases is not a causative theory

Time to outlaw Taco Bell.

You can never be too safe.

>Do you think that GMOs are just thrown out mindlessly?

Yes.

Only one example:

>A study published in 2010 by scientists at the University of Arkansas, North Dakota State University, California State University and the US Environmental Protection Agency showed that about 83 percent of wild or weedy canola tested contained genetically modified herbicide resistance genes. According to the researchers, the lack of reports in the US suggests inadequate oversight and monitoring protocols are in place in the US. The development of weeds resistant to glyphosate, the most commonly applied herbicide, could mean that farmers must return to more labour-intensive methods to control weeds, use more dangerous herbicides or till the soil (so increasing then risk of erosion).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organism_containment_and_escape

Also:

>After more than a decade of unsuccessful efforts to eradicate the genetically modified grass it created and allowed to escape, lawn and garden giant Scotts Miracle-Gro now wants to step back and shift the burden to Oregonians.
>The grass has proven hard to kill because it's been modified to be resistant to Roundup, the ubiquitous, all-purpose herbicide.

oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2017/01/grass_seed_industry_fearful_ab.html

>Evolution just states that the fittest survives.
No it doesn't. You're wrong about almost everything else, but this is a common misconception even among the educated. "Survival of the fittest" is an economic concept based on a misinterpretation of Darwin.

>Time to outlaw Taco Bell.
I unironically agree.

Because shit like this is peddled as science

How does it feel to know that in a relatively short time, you will be seen as racists and bigots against gay people today?

it's really fucking hard to study trans people (mainly because there are so few of them, and it manifests in so many different ways) but there's a reasonable body of evidence that not only are there some hardwired sex differences in the brain, but trans people's brains seem to resemble (in certain respects) the brains of their chosen sex, not their birth sex. Simon LeVay started looking at the neurophysiology of sexual orientation back in the '80s and '90s, and there's been a steady trickle of evidence suggesting that it's a real effect, even if it's been ridiculously difficult to pin down.

I doubt it since the left are already losing the culture war. Go look at the downvotes on the Youtube video, even leftists are starting to wake up to whats going on. Gen Z is the most conservative since WW2.

>You shouldn't alter the genome of your food or anything else living. In Europe, GM food is banned and for a reason.
So they banned all food from Europe?

>tfw actual knowledge dropped on Veeky Forums
Feels good man

Replying because nobody replies to me when I do this in CS threads

Is this post b8? I don't understand how someone his retarded could even enjoy this board. Shouldn't you be posting in the comments of Alex Jones' YouTube videos instead?

>>Science is always a work in progress. You can't fault it for not having an answer to something, because it never claims to have an answer to everything.

In theory.

In practice, self-proclaimed scientists are arrogant know-it-all idiots who believe they know nearly everything, having been taught a set of assertions that they hold to be true, primarily on faith alone.