I just marathoned the first 50 pages of "The Stand" by "Stephen King", did I like it?

I just marathoned the first 50 pages of "The Stand" by "Stephen King", did I like it?

His short stories are the only books worth reading with a few exceptions. His novels usually start out good and then turn to shit.

from Maine, please let Stephen King die. Maine is so obsessed with him out of some sort of identity crisis. And from what I've read, he's awful. Though it seems possible to make good movies out of him.

I just read the first 300 pages of It, and I really can't tell if it's better or on-par with The Stand.

I liked it.

>too cool for popular novels
close minded fools

The tunnel and other small details make it worth it imo.

>close minded fools
There are good popular novels, but I've read Salem's Lot which was like 5/10 and The Mist which was like 1/10, there's no way someone could write the Mist AND something good, it's as bad as shit can get

"marathoned"
Why do people fucking say this? What's wrong with saying "I read the first 50 pages?" What makes that different "marathoning" it? does it need to feel like an achievement?

mar·a·thon
ˈmerəˌTHän/
noun
a long-distance running race, strictly one of 26 miles and 385 yards (42.195 km).
a long-lasting or difficult task or operation of a specified kind.
"the last leg of an interview marathon that began this summer"

so i get that it's a "long-distance" book, because wow, it's long, but you didn't complete so you didn't marathon anythign

>marathoned
That's not really a lot of reading

>the mist
>1/10
I will admit that I am biased towards anything with monsters or apocalypses but your rating is wildly inaccurate.

Is not getting memes an epic new meme?

>reading for 3 hours at a stretch isn't impressive

>It takes someone 3 hours to read 50 pages

It reminds me a lot of the movie cloverfield, also a 1/10. It's like a normal monster movie, but they are deliberately over mysterious about the monster, so you get hyped up thinking it's not just going to be like a normal godzilla monster, it's going to be something so creative I can't even imagine it right now, or else they wouldn't go through all the trouble to hide it. Then it is just some run of the mill monster. And then King tacks on a stupid M. Night Shamalan(sp?) twist and says it's about our troops in Afghanistan. But by far the worst thing about it is hiding them with mist. Remove the mist, call it The Monsters, and bam, 3/10 already

w-what's wrong with that?

The first half was great, the second not so much. There are some cool characters in it though so I'd say it's worth the read.

Oh, I see. You don't understand anything about suspense or overarching themes.

Is unfunny cunts trying to be funny the new funny? case in point

It's a bit slow. Not that slow, I would say 70 pages in 3 hours is good. Fuck speedreading.

>marathoned the first 50 pages
o i am laffin

>He only likes Stephen King's books because they're best sellers
Popular doesn't equal 'you have to like it', user.
I didn't like twilight even though every honor student in high school (who read) insisted it was great.

Not that user, but King doesn't understand anything about suspense either.
The majority of what he writes is just a freakshow of kooky monsters meant to give baby boomers the heeby jeebys, nothing to make someones blood curdle.

YOU don't understand anything about suspense. Going far out of the way to hide something that wouldn't be otherwise mysterious/unexpected is not good writing. It can pull you in, you sit through other boring shit because you just want to find out the big reveal, but then there is no big reveal, it's just a huge disappointment, like a punch in the stomach.

Other thing that informs my opinion on him. I haven't read The Shining, but I've seen him complain about the film version, which is one of the greatest films of all time, and his complaints show he doesn't know shit, including when it comes to horror/suspense.

Also I've been outside his house, and it's not spooky, it's a nice looking house with faux-spooky halloween decorations, see pic, because he's a fucking moron

>3 hours
>50 pages

atleast you're reading.. i guess

>70 pages
>3 hours
user, please... 60 seconds per page master race here

>...
Fuck off to reddit, bait biter.

18+ board.

>too cool
No, his books just have shitty pay off. The only good novel of his is the Long Walk. And as i said, he writes a good short story. Dont be so assmad.

Holy shit why do I come to this board anymore. 50 pages of Stephen King in 3 hours is horrible. It's not like it's philosophy or even remotely dense fiction. Aaaaa fuck this garbage board

I like IT better, stays pretty much the same the whole way through

baiting or just retarded?

The Stand starts off marvellously and then degenerates into some sort of fairy story hokum that wouldn't be out of place in some cult of christianity meeting. Just twaddle.

I'm noticing that It never fails to impress me with these ridiculous situations that make sense according to the limits that King sets for the creature. I'm just getting to The Reunion, and thus far I've been shocked with the amount of horror and intensity that has already happened both with Pennywise, and in the abuse/bully themes.

>Monsters coming!

Yes, you liked it.

This. The second half was a drag.

I'd like to knowwwww....'cos here I gooooo, agaiiiinnnnnnnn! ( this is now a cringe thread right? )

>50 pages
>marathon

Stephen King's books are movie script-tier at best.