Multibullshit

Multiverse theorists piss me off to no end. If there were infinite universes, there would be infinite chances of someone discovering multiverse traveling, thus we'd have infinite ayy lmaos and other humans visiting our universe to say hello.

It's nothing but a loser LARP theory where failures can dream themselves away and say "But in some other universe, I am kang!"

Saying there are infinite lines of infinity and we just happen to be in the universe/galaxy/earth no one has visited doesn't prove anything either, just as much as it disproves the fact.

Do try to prove me otherwise, that's what this thread is for.

Other urls found in this thread:

askamathematician.com/2012/12/q-in-an-infinite-universe-does-everything-thats-possible-have-to-happen-somewhere/
phys.org/news/2015-03-universe-finite-infinite.html
physics.stackexchange.com/questions/132661/are-the-implications-of-an-infinite-universe-necessarily-so-unsettling
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

prove you what?
the possibility of the existence of multiverse does in no way pertain to the possibility of travel between them

Consider that we may be in one universe where other travelers can't cross into ours?

"There is a God and he's just in our universe, there are no other gods and universes" is just as valid as your points. Nothing proves/disproves this, just like a story a kid can come up with but really believes that is either true/somewhat/not at all true. Therefore it's just LARP fantasy

>If there were infinite universes, there would be infinite chances of someone discovering multiverse traveling, thus we'd have infinite ayy lmaos and other humans visiting our universe to say hello.

Nice bait. It's so good I'm going to reply.

You seem to be making the assumption (as many people do) that "infinite" means "all-inclusive". Or at least, the assumption that random events are independent across universes.

Let's say there were infinitely many *independent* (in the probabilistic sense) universes, and a coin is flipped in each universe. The probability that they are all tails is then 0 (the events are independent so we get 1/2 * 1/2 * .... =0)

But what if they're not independent? You can't conclude that any of the coin flips turns out to be heads. In general you can't conclude that every possible event happens in some universe.

Except that's wrong, you retard.

I would like you to stop now

>In general you can't conclude that every possible event happens in some universe.
This is where you're wrong. Infinite means that all things would and could happen. Period. That is why it's infinite. Go far enough and there is another earth literally the exact same as our, except where one guy banged his knee once. Infinite would literally mean all inclusive.

Nope. There's infinitely many even numbers. None of them are odd. An infinite set does not need to include everything.

There's no promises that you'll find what you're looking for just by looking inside an infinite set.

>If there were infinite universes, there would be infinite chances

Stopped reading right there. Just because there are an infinite amount of universes does not mean that everything happens.

Off yourself you keyboard theoretical physicist.

>If I flip a coin an infinite number of times, at least one time it will land on dragon.

Only possible events can happen in probability theory. If the probability of discovering inter-verse travel is zero, then after an infinite number of trials the expected number of universes which have discovered it is zero.

Not that I believe in the multiverse, I also agree it's a silly idea.

There are also an infinite number of odds. Do you understand infinity at all?

>everything that can happen is greater than 0
>ergo anything that can happen will happen on a long enough line like infinity
>lrn 2 priors

I was clearly saying that things that were possible would all be played out in infinite universes. Something that just isn't possible is a value of 0. But dumb dumb here seems to think that something that can happen doesn't mean it will on an INFINITE scale.

Let's say I start reading from an infinite list of numbers. Here I go: 2, 4, 6, 8, ....

Do you believe that I will inevitably read out an odd number eventually? After all, if my list were random you'd expect about half of the numbers on it to be odd. So I have to read an odd number eventually, right?

I'm trying to be patient with you in the hopes that you'll learn something from this. I'm starting to suspect that you won't.

That's not the argument dick face. You are too stupid to understand. OP didn't say "if there were infinite multi-verses in which you couldn't travel between them, well you could because of infinity."

You are setting limitations on your infinite set. The adults are discussing ALL possibilities of infinite. We aren't setting limits on the infinite set. Stupid fuck.

literally a freshman.

So you assume the set of multiverses is a set without any limitation whatsoever, which is exactly my point. You have no reason to assume that.

Don't tell me I'm the one who doesn't understand infinity if you're assuming that "infinite" means "all-inclusive".

I hope you're only pretending to be retarded but I worry about you

I have as much reason to assume that as you do not. And we just explained how if a possibility is greater than 0 it literally is all inclusive. Seriously, how dumb are you? Don't answer, it's rhetorical.

>I have as much reason to assume that as you do not.
No. The default is to not assume anything. At least, among intelligent people it is.

>but I'm allowed to assume that a multiverse would have limitations that stop things greater than 0 from happening.

KYS Senpai.

>if a possibility is greater than 0
didn't realize I was arguing with a genius

Even if somebody figured out a way to travel between universes doesn't mean they have the time, energy, or inclination to visit each one.

An entire universe full of travelers would still have an infinite selection of universes to travel to. The odds of our particular universe being chosen, even after 10^10^10 travel events, are essentially zero.

suck my dick, piggot. You're wrong in every universe.

>literally BTFO

Metric

This. Your chances are equally 1 and 0 to have people show up in your universe if multiverse theory is true. There's literally infinity to choose from, so why you? infinity -1 is still infinity; you're essentially at a statistically negligible odds of having someone enter your universe.

You're begging the question by assuming that its greater than zero. If interuniversal travel is impossible then it will never happen in any of the infinite universes. Interuniversal travel is a meta property involving more than one universe, not a property of a single universe, which are iterated on infinitely.

Enough of your oinkery

I am not, because I'm not OP. I was responding specifically to that dumb fuck saying that just because everything can happen doesn't mean it will. Which is completely incorrect. In an infinite multi verse, everything that CAN happen, will. I didn't even talk about the potential can or can not for multiverse travel.

Multiverse =/= Many-worlds

events with probability 0 can happen, though.

If you flip infinitely many independent coins, the probability of getting all "Tails" is 0, but that's true for any particular assignment of "Heads" and "Tails".

It's like choosing a uniform random real number in [0,1]. No matter what the outcome is, it will be something that a priori had probability 0.

So I don't buy into the argument that it's impossible to flip infinitely many coins and never get heads.

>when you take a shit, there are infinitely many universes in which the turd quantum tunnels right to the face of Stephen Hawking and all the other multiverse peasants
Feels good, man.

Where did he say that? You can't read.

>In general you can't conclude that every possible event happens in some universe.
Apparently you can't.

That's semantics. Clearly by "every possible" he means "every imaginable." Look at the context.

OP here. What most of you are saying, is explained in the op post.

So you got a fact

It's not provable because what the fact dictates is non-provable as it has never happened or observed

You are saying that your fact is based on infinity, and there is an infinitely small chance for the fact to be proven

BUT IT HASN'T BEEN IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM

therefore it is not a fact, but a fantasy until PROVEN otherwise

>backpedaling
>if we ignore the words used and make up shit it totally makes sense
It's okay to admit you were wrong samefag

It's not a fact. Is a hypothesis. You tried to falsify the hypothesis by finding a contradiction. But your proof fails because it assumes that interuniversal travel is possible in the first place. In an infinite multiverse, possiblity implies necessity. You never proved possibility.

Not samefag, read his post again. A meta property involving multiple universes is not the same as the properties being iterated in single universes.

No one needs to read shit again. He spent 20 posts explicitly arguing against the possibility of anything that can happen will. Even after it was spelled out several times. He's either too stupid to understand the argument against him and was arguing poorly for the same thing, or he's too stupid to agree with someone.

I'm dumb, so let's break this down so I can understand it and answer you:
>It's not a fact. Is a hypothesis
Why is it taken seriously, even more seriously than Harry Potter being real? It is a hypothesis, but a lot of funding and money go to scientists and mathematicians working on the subject and therefore I raise the question.
>You tried to falsify the hypothesis by finding a contradiction
That I did, yes.
>But your proof fails because it assumes that interuniversal travel is possible in the first place
The hypothesis dictates that there are infinite possibilities, which dictates that there is an actually infinite chance of an "Ayy Lmao Imperial Interverse Force" that travels between universes to visit brainlet humans and ayy lmaos. Further, the hypothesis dictates that someone somewhere has discovered multiverse travel outside of a cartoon because there is an infinite chance of that.
>In an infinite multiverse, possiblity implies necessity. You never proved possibility.
Infinite chance of it must mean there is, albeit small, some possibility for it.

You (or anyone else) ever proved multiverse theory to be a feasible theory with base in reality, yet it is studied and well known to the population.

Except for the little detail that multiverse is an interpretation of the best theory mankind has ever developed which can predict everything that can be and god is just a fairy-tale with no predictive power

>In an infinite multi verse, everything that CAN happen, will.
holy shit you're a fucking retarded piggot
still on about this

>there would be infinite chances of someone discovering multiverse traveling
Unless multiverse travel is impossible.

If you have an infinite series of 1's, you'll never have a 2.

>he's so mad he's wrong he's just going to keep saying the same shitty insult
LOL

He is frustrated with your three monkeys' attitude and so am I.
This thread should have ended with the first reply.

Proof that the real numbers between 0 and 1 are countable:

consider an infinite sequence of real numbers from 0 to 1, written thusly:
[eqn]0.x_{11}x_{12}\ldots[/eqn]
[eqn]0.x_{21}x_{22}\ldots[/eqn]
where each x_{ij} is a digit 0-9.

Now comes the ingenious part of the proof: since the sequence is infinite, every possible combination of digits occurs eventually! It has to! It's infinite!

Where's my Fields medal, piggot?

Agreed, but stop posting shit in Veeky Forums regardless.

>being wrong hurts my feelings
>>>reddit>>
Is that way.

>Why is it taken seriously, even more seriously than Harry Potter being real? It is a hypothesis, but a lot of funding and money go to scientists and mathematicians working on the subject and therefore I raise the question.
Lol no, no funding goes to research it. It's merely a pet hypothesis of some physicists, which had been exaggerated greatly by popsci. You really have no idea what you're talking about.

>The hypothesis dictates that there are infinite possibilities, which dictates that there is an actually infinite chance of an "Ayy Lmao Imperial Interverse Force" that travels between universes to visit brainlet humans and ayy lmaos.
An infinite universe contains every possible iteration. If interuniversal travel is impossible, it can't be iterated. So your argument fails. You're just handwaving. Further it's not even in the same class as an iteration of the properties of a universe, it's a meta property. So infinite universes is completely irrelevant. Either is a property the multiverse has, or it isn't.

>Infinite chance of it must mean there is, albeit small, some possibility for it.
There is no such thing as "infinite chance." That's gibberish. Iterating through the infinite natural numbers does not mean you will ever get a negative number.

what the fuck is this shit?

>Except for the little detail that God is an interpretation of the best theory mankind has ever developed which can predict everything that can be and multiverse is just a fairy-tale with no predictive power

Trips for truth, but what does that really prove? How does that fact in any way show that there are alternate universes? Explain it as you would to a brainlet like me.

>god
>theory
>prediction
The real mongoloid is you

>thusly

You're counter-argument is stupid, infinity > infinity. And that's assuming that multiversal travel is even possible.

>be advanced civilization
>learn to multiverse travel
>go to same coordinates in "neighboring" universe
>end up in space because that universe developed differently and shit is dispersed differently
>cruise around in vacuum of space for 5 years with nothing but lifeless planets
>realize how pointless this was other than a proof of concept
>return to home universe, forget about technology

Universe is infinite, but under the laws of physics. It doesn't mean that every event can happen, but that the possibilities are never over.

In mathematics, for example, you can say that a infinite amount of numbers can be used in a certain case, except for 1, 3 and 8. It is still infinity, but with rules.

Things this thread should be aware of:

>infinity is not a solution for everything, stop liberally applying it to things where it doesnt belong
>infinite does not mean all encompassing. If something is impossible, infinite chances given for it to happen will come up empty 100% of the time.
>interuniversal travel is an assumption, therefore irrelevant. You have no reason to believe thats possible.
>there are not necessarily infinite universes. This is another baseless assumption. The universe could just as easily be part of a finite system, similar to a galaxy on a larger scale.

>It's nothing but a loser LARP theory where failures can dream themselves away and say "But in some other universe, I am kang!"

I don't get this.

I fucking hate this theory, because sometimes I get intrusive thoughts, and then I think that somewhere in another universe, there is a me that actually acted upon that intrusive thought, and what a horrible rest of his life will the other me have. I instantly feel bad for him. Then I snap out of it and proceed with my life.

Infinite universes with infinite possibilities and in not a single one someone has invented interdimensional travel and decided to come to earth and do a bit hoopdie ha even though that is one of the infinite possibilities.

I somewhat agree OP, it feels like we're losing out grip on an era where a single clear theory could explain things and entering a time of contradictions

Guys I just found an elementary proof of the Green-Tao theorem.

Fix k. Now just start looking for a k term arithmetic progression in the primes starting at 2 going up.

But there are infinitely many primes! Therefore you'll eventually find what you're looking for! That's how infinity works, apparently!

What fucking infinite possibilities, what the fuck are you on about?
If there is no phyisical way to pass from one to the other, the number of people trying for it is completely fucking irrelevant.

Just because there might be a universe with completely different physics, a universe in which you're not a mouthbreathing fucktard, it doesn't imply he's gonna break those fucking physics.

The germs in our universe would be slightly different than the germs in their universe, so as soon as they came here they would get infected and die.

A few problems with your reasoning.
1) It very well may be that multiverse travel is possible, the problem being the vast size of the universe. We can travel across the pacific ocean in a sufficiently equipped boat, taking any route across that we so please. In fact we do this quite frequently. Yet if you were stranded in the middle of the pacific ocean, even with people actively searching for you, your chances of being found are slim. Now imagine if the ocean was 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000(plus more zeros than this post will allow me to enter) times larger. You are stranded in the middle of this ocean. What do you think your odds of being found are?
2) Its possible that the laws of physics will not allow travel between universes reguardless of what you do, or how advanced you are.
3) You are assuming multiverse traveling beings even want to meet us. They can travel between universes, theres a good chance they have traveled a good portion of their own already, and if life isnt as insanely uncommon as it appears to be we would be old news. Maybe we just arent that special and theres more interesting things out there. We cant say for sure but its a possibility.

Just accept that you're fucking wrong. Science is about doubt and skepticism, not faith. You have an enormous amount of faith to assume that an infinite set of universes means that all things will happen.

Imagine that I told you I will give you an infinite set of numbers. I MIGHT mean a set that contains all numbers, or I MIGHT mean the set of numbers between 1 and 2. Both are infinite sets. You are a complete fucking retard to not understand that an infinite set means nothing in terms of what content is contained within the set.

Yes, I responded to the obvious bait. Yes I fucking mad.

Hey OP. Try to discredit an actual arguement (see the one above you).

I like to shill the for the interpretation of the multiverse as a mathematical potential. No one cares if the EM potential implies the existence of a parallel universe whose gradient points in the opposite direction to our forces. Just let the multiverse be a potential.

At some point the idea od multiple undetected universes (universes!) will be recognized as the Aether of our era.

Honestly the only fundamental principle in the Universe will turn out to be the No-Hypercomputation Principle which I will name after myself. Every other thing will follow from there

Whoa guys I just solved a big time open problem. I can prove that pi is a normal number. Get a load of this.

Fix any string of digits. We'll show that it occurs as a contiguous substring of the digits of pi.

We apply the following crucial observation: pi has infinitely many digits. That means that our string must appear! It has to because the digits are infinite! There's infinite possibilities so every single possibility is realized!

Q.E.D.

Is not infinity something illogical,and thus rejectable for any serious scientific theory?

That question mark is annoying me

Hey I just disproved Goldbach's conjecture with a one line proof.

Since there's infinitely many even numbers, there must be one that isn't the sum of two primes. It is a possibility that I can imagine and there's infinite chances so it must happen!

>we'd have infinite ayy lmaos and other humans visiting our universe to say hello

But at the same time, we'd have an infinite amount of people stopping them from doing so. It's an entire paradox and is therefore out of the loop.

>infinite chances of someone discovering multiverse traveling
what if multiverse travelling is possible, but it requires the mass energy of two whole universes to do it?

there would also be the possibility of a universe where that never happened much and we could be that universe

>Orienting yourself in infinity can be rather difficult when you position in it can change, which it can according to multiverse theory.

How can you know which universe that you're in that has a set of events which is consistent with the life you've lived thus far?

What if our multiverse wasn't the only one.

>mindexplode

That is an undecidable question and it reduces to the halting problem. I didn't even have to google anything to say this. The digits of pi are generated by an algorithm and there is no way to determine if said algorithm will ever generate a given string even after an infinite amount of time

>the halting problem is undecidable
Listen retard, given infinite chances, every possibility becomes realized! So the program will eventually halt. There's infinite chances for it to halt

I feel like the "But infinite doesn't mean anything can happen!" is a cop out. Yes it's true that an infinite set doesn't necessarily contain every number but it's generally agreed upon if you're talking about infinite universes than you have every possible permutation of matter, infinite times. An infinite universe, or universes, necessarily means there are infinite you's living out every single conceivable variation of your life. Why? Because there isn't any logical reason in an infinite universe or multiverse that there wouldn't be. Think about it. You were created at least once, the you that is shitposting here right now. If we agree that through the sheer power of the infinite that matter will coalesce in the same way many, many times and we agree there is nothing inherently special about you and you're just a specific way that matter has arranged itself then logically IT must have happened again in an infinite universe, more than that it MUST have happened an infinite number of times.

That said, the idea of anything being truly infinite is a silly notion. Infinity does not exist within reality, it's an idea, nothing more.

It is. The halting problem is just a hard limitation on rational though; there are properly formed questions for which rational thought will fail to provide an answer.

>it's generally agreed upon if you're talking about infinite universes than you have every possible permutation of matter, infinite times
generally agreed upon by whom exactly?

That literally depends on whether the number of universes is countably infinite or uncountable

>generally agreed upon by whom exactly?
Mathematicians. If you think it's unlikely you don't understand what infinite actually means. Infinite means if something has a 0.00000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of occurring it WILL occur for sure at some place at some time. Because a googol to the power of a googol years is effectively the same as 0 years when you compare it to an infinite span of time, it's so small it doesn't even register.

That doesn't mean things that break the laws of physics or crazy shit like Lord of the Rings is actually happening somewhere right now. But anything that can theoretically happen, will happen at some point. You exist, obviously you can be created. Giving infinite space and infinite time you will be arranged infinite times. Because there's nothing special about you at all. Tremendously unlikely yes but we've established that being unlikely means jack squat next to infinity.

Multiverse theory doesn't even actually talk about infinite alternate universes.
It's just a (sane, supported by people smarter than you who also thought more about it than you) way of interpreting what the wavefunction bullshit actually means.

If there's a million ways for something to exist, doesn't that mean there's a million ways for it to not exist as well? If so, doesn't this end up as a 50/50 thing until we invent a viable method to make it a reality?

>Mathematicians
who? and where is it written?

> Infinite means if something has a 0.00000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of occurring it WILL occur for sure at some place at some time.
lol no. just stop.

Wanted to add on: You're arguing against the pop science version of multiverse theory. There is actual substance behind multiverse theory, but you'd never know it from listening to internet arguments.

If it's impossible for multiverses to affect other multiverses, what's the point in believing in multiverses?

What if there are an infinite amount of variables that can combine in an infinite number of ways?

see

askamathematician.com/2012/12/q-in-an-infinite-universe-does-everything-thats-possible-have-to-happen-somewhere/

phys.org/news/2015-03-universe-finite-infinite.html

physics.stackexchange.com/questions/132661/are-the-implications-of-an-infinite-universe-necessarily-so-unsettling

I mean if you want to be a contrarian go right ahead. But it's accepted that the implication of an infinite universe means an infinite amount of anything that can be created. Meaning infinite Earths, infinite you's. If you want to contest that you need to give a good reason for why the particular arrangement of matter on Earth could not be repeated given infinite space and time. I don't think you can give one and are just repeating "Nuh uh" because you're uncomfortable with the implications that come with an infinite universe.

see

It doesn't change anything. Infinity is a strange thing to wrap your head around.

Take 3 wheels
Line them up
Set them at different speeds
Watch the initial synchronization never recur.

>askamathematician.com/2012/12/q-in-an-infinite-universe-does-everything-thats-possible-have-to-happen-somewhere/
>Q: if it can happen, will it happen given enough or infinite time? Does it have to happen eventually
>A: There are a lot of subtleties in this question! The answer is basically yes, but there are some sneaky assumptions worked into that.

so the answer is "yes" if you're a basic brainlet, but really the answer is "no" if you aren't making unjustified assumptions.

Not really, the clarification is just that physically impossible things cannot occur. The answer is yes with the caveat that it must adhere to the laws of nature. Is this really such a weird concept for you guys? Boltzmann Brains have been an issue for over a hundred years. The concept of infinite time and space creating issues like these is by no means new.