How well versed are you in your country's literary tradition? Do you pass it over in favour of exotic foreign lit?

How well versed are you in your country's literary tradition? Do you pass it over in favour of exotic foreign lit?

Sometimes I feel like I'm cucking my own culture.

Why would anyone want to read American "literature"

>implying OP is American.

You're an retard

>implying I didn't know.

hello aussie

Where are you from?

well, i suppose i'm very well versed in american literature. i read all the classics like hemingway, melville, hawthorne, whitman, twain, dickenson, fitzgerald in high school. but these days i mainly read foreign stuff for my free reading, especially when it comes to contemporary literature. i've been reading translations (norwegian and japanese mostly) instead.

this is not to say i've completely abandoned us lit. mccarthy, o'connor, bender, and diaz are all among my faves, but most of the american books being published these days feel either hollow or pandering.

fuck I can't remember the name of those comics. Help please

Cornelius the dog

thanks my dude

Decently in some areas, since I mostly read poetry and the best of that stuff is old and in your own language. Read a little bit of Chaucer, a fair amount of the Elizabethans (inc. Shakespeare), read Paradise Lost and most of the rest of Milton, know all of the Romantics quite well, read P&P and the Brontes, Orwell, Woolf, Lawrence...would need to read more of Dickens and some of the other 18th/19th century novelists like Fielding and Thackeray to have better coverage of 'English' literature.

no not at all (Dutch), I want to get into it but I have too much on my backlog. out of the 50 books I read last year only 1 was in Dutch (2 french and 1 German)

I don't think I've read a single Canadian book.

You spend too much time here.

Don't we all

It just feels so empty to read the great works from Brazil
They aren't landmarks. They're books that would be rated, at best, "good" by anyone acquainted with international literature. They aren't exceedingly remarkable or "Brazilian" per se. They are all written by elite rich guys projecting their views of the common man

Most importantly, I think, ist that they don't really make a part of our culture. Brazilian culture in general is deficient of a true feeling of unity. It's very vague, except from the fabricated sense of "samba, bunda e futebol" and means absolutely nothing aside from an immense sense of self-hate.
I love this country and it's people, but there's very little to love.
I think that's one of the main reasons I don't read much of our national works. Though I do force myself through them sometimes

I think it doesn't help none of my friends and family are Veeky Forums, so I have to seek out discussion on the internet where there is always going to be a Burger-centric tint.

i am brazilian and i have no interest in brazilian authors anymore
there isn't a single one i like (there are ones i used to like when i was an edgy teenager, but after maturity i realized our poetry sucks, specially the modernists)
there isn't a single character i relate
there isn't a single poem i consider good
there isn't a single theme i like

fuck br attempt at literature

I know that feel. I'm Canadian and we haven't had a really good writer since Robertson Davies. Am I supposed to be proud that my nation produced Life of Pi and Margaret Atwood?

Meet up on the beach and start the literary movement your people deserve, huebros.

>Am I supposed to be proud that my nation produced Life of Pi and Margaret Atwood?
Haha! You tell me, should i feel happy for our greatest writer Paulo Coelho achievements?

the literary market is pretty fucked up here, lots of new authors (considered good by the critics, but i actually have no idea if they're good) and no one buying books, no one reading anything
basically what sells here are: youtuber books and american YA

>Canadian literature

It's highly unfashionable to know your classics in Germany anyway