Tfw I fell for the physics meme

>tfw I fell for the physics meme

which meme is that? The one where Witten et al.[math] >> [/math] Tooker?

Physician here. Just finished my major, i'm earning 80k starting.

wow this post is really insightful

Physics needs complete dedication and a lifetime of sucking it up.

Physics has come to a dead end. There are no more "leads" so to speak. Computer science is the future. Only superintelligence can show us the way foreard.

>theoretical physics
>works ass off for muh ideas
>underpaid and likely not employed in his field
>wants to be a mathematician
>software jockey instead

>applied physics
>fucks around with lasers
>300k starting
>employable anywhere
>fucks your wife more than his own

tell me Veeky Forums, why would you ever be a theoretical physicist over a research engineer?

Did you fall for le ebic mysteries of le universe maymay? Or are you doing it so other people think you're cool and smart? (hint: you're not)

If you really want your ivory towers then go into pure mathematics or drink bleach posers

>i'm earning 80k starting.

Which currency? Yen? Renminbi?

crypto ONLY

I fell for the meme too, but I have hope

USD

I also fell for this meme

What meme? I only see opportunities of having BIG BLACK ASSETS in my ass. I literally feel euphoric when I think about it, physics is truly an overwhelming experience.

>tfw the job market is so utterly shit in your country it doesn't matter what you major in, you'll still be unemployed.

cs minor and you will be fine.
calm down faggot

>tfw Math PhD
>300K starting
>any job i want
How is life treating ya, poorfags?

No idea if you're joking or not, because its kinda true. The superintelligence part is bullshit, but if you want to invent or discover new stuff, the chance that you can do that in physics is much smaller than in cs. Not in the practical programming part of cs, but the theoretical branch.

>says he's rich
>still trolls anonymously on a taiwanese origami forum
How dumb are you?

>I fell for the physics meme
As did I. Now I am partner in a patent law firm.

I hope you all feel sorry for me.

>cs minor and you will be fine.

too late. I already have my M.Sc. degree

Untrue, I'm a fresh out engineering making 65K plus killer benefits, ya dig

should have studied economics and finance

>Now I am partner in a patent law firm.

I got an job offer from one of these firms, but I rejected it, because I hate bureaucracy. Fuck this shit.

Okay, be straight with me. How likely is it that I can get a cushy 100k tenure track job in academia? I'd consider myself gifted, but certainly not a genius.

An overwhelming majority of physicists start in industry over academia.

You can end up in academia but I'd expect to have some experience in industry beforehand. Payment in academia depends on the institution and your position.

>Computer science is the future

Now that's a meme

>pursuing associates in science
>dont know what to major in when transfer to uni

seems like college is all bullshit if you dont know the right people anyway

That's a shit salary for an M.D.

tfw spanish

>tfw too smart too understand physics

That's reality. Just compare the development of physics with computer science the last few decades.

Like the part where nanofabriaction techniques and new nanostructures preceed any meaningful progress in CS?

>interned at SAP during undergrad
>coding staff is 50/50 CS Bachelors and Physics PhDs
They don't call it Sammelstelle Arbeitsloser Physiker for nothing. Unless you're severely autistic/rich or education is free for you, physics is the wrong subject.

Progress in hardware is certainly speeding up CS, but if you think CS wouldn't btfo the pace of physics or pretty much any other field without this, then you're delusional.

>the world won't cater to my passions and interests
>better just give up and follow the rest of the code pigs and engiqueers
No wonder you all gave up, it was never meant for you anyway

>muh pashun
>muh internests
Good luck waking up at forty when your wife that makes more money off her advanced menstrual sciences degree leaves you for Norman McNormieson CFA, solely because he's not completely autistic and can actually hold a conversation about something other than 50-dimensional manifolds and quantum chromo-memetics. Enjoy getting all the angry calls from kids you never had the time to have while alternating between rotting in lab and sucking off MBAs for grants on that new shartgon lazor and small hardon provider.

because i want to be a mathematician, but paid money. also i like software design, so being a computational physicist is fine for me

>in your country
read before you post, or are your people psychic??

>Sammelstelle Arbeitsloser Physiker
keked

>product is epitome of autistic dysfunction
>actually crafted by professional autists

like pomgrenade

>overengineer your product and obfuscate documentation
>drive all the competitors into the ground and create a monopoly
>aggressively market yourself as world leader in ERP and CRM solutions
>charge seven digits for mediocre distributed RDBMS and a plotting engine full of ugly hacks
this is what winning at life is, sciencelet

>graduated in economics
>got job at bank that involves simple math and an ok amount of thinking
>120k/year plus bonus

is there a more comfy field of study?

>graduated in math
>got a job at MBB consulting that involves no math and lot of thinking
>120k/year + bonus + going to be a boss of your boss in 3 years
I'm gonna say yes.

Some of you are retarded talking smack on computer science when you can't even get a job with your dumb degree.Lmao you laugh but you'll be crying when we automate your shitty pointless job hahhaha.Join the dark side and help plunge the world into chaos while we automate your jobs hahah

How are you going to automate any math-related jobs when passing Calculus 2 with a C- is the extent of your mathematical ability?

Someone sounds butt-hurt. C- seems more of a you grade.

I'm going from a philosophy bachelor to being a physics undergraduate, how fucked am I?

According to my English professor, philosophy is by far the hardest major of all, so don't worry you'll be well prepared for those triple integrals in electromagnetics class

>taking triple integrals is hard
>this is your brain on physics

It's not hard if you're a philosophy major, everything is super easy compared to philosophy dude

holy fucking rekt

Kek. I'm a math grad with only hobbyist interest in philosophy, but I very much doubt that some autistic physics faggot that thinks undergrad calc methods are some arcane inaccessible magic for geniuses would be able to get through Fichte's or Husserl's work, let alone understand it. Please, do go on with le funny memeing.

Is the contrary true too? I can read Heidegger and Hegel no problems. Will undergraduate physics seems hard to me?

I'm not even a physics major lel untwist your panties and enjoy the memes gayboi

It shouldn't if you study diligently. Undergrad is bretty easy.

>Going to UNI when the job prospects are null
>Instead of working from 15 and living with parents until 30 while saving every dollar, offsetting it into their mortgage until you can afford to use the equity to buy a place of your own, have mates live with you and pay board in cash for your disposable income, while you own the place you live in and plan to invest in field of your choosing or just expanding in the housing/land market.

>working from 15
>living with parents until 30
>having roommates after 30
living the dream I see

Everything about this sounds awful.

>Physics has come to a dead end. There are no more "leads" so to speak.
They've said this every generation you tard

>Only superintelligence can show us the way foreard.
No it can't, garbage in garbage out. With physics experiments however we can actually find new leads for theory, cf the R problem that LHCb is investigating

Enjoy slaving for rent and uni debts.

>tfw fell for the 'physics is a meme' meme

Only because you and others think this way. Science hardly excites anyone anymore, everything is about money or fame instead of discovery.

And I'm glad past physicists were brave enough not to listen to people like yourself so they could give us modern physics

>implying I paid for education
>implying I don't have a mortgage
>implying I don't have an interesting job
I wanted to add something edgy, but I'm really not sure what would be insulting to man who isn't Italian and lives with his parents until 30.

>chem PhD student
>dreams of living the life of a yuppie kept alive only by my project being partially engineering
>obsess over finding a job when I'm done from here that will get me my high rise apartment
>it's literally the only dream I have
>browse company websites for jobs relevant to my degree and field
>literally hundreds of jobs for "software engineers" and computer scientists
>I have nothing to do with computers while a programmer friend of mine is literally pissing money away on EXACTLY my dream

Just fucking kill me

>chem phd
>does not have jobs offered to him
Just how shit is your GPA? Did you not do any internships at all?

Me too, user.

>tfw physics invented transistors
>tfw mathematicians invented boolean logic
>tfw computer scientists disown the hard scientists
>tfw computer """engineering"""

Please elaborate. Why is the theoretical branch more amenable to advances that the "practical programming" branch? Can you give examples of possible theoretical advances that can be made in CS?

>tfw wanted to do physics because interesting and didn't think about career
>tfw went for math instead after talking with some smart people
>tfw 300k/hour internship wage

Not him, but think about how the early sciences stemmed from philosophy. Science a few millennia ago was intuitive, and so was conceptualised by humans. But with the advent of relativity and later quantum physics, it's very hard for someone without a thorough understanding of both mathematics and modern physics to make a reasonable hypotheses. Computers can be programmed to "understand" both of these. While a human has to comprehend the answers a computer gives us, for the first time in a century or two we are able to make advances in physics through trial and error by simulating them on a computer.

His statement also has a more literal meaning, as computer science has the more abstract purpose of the quantum-ish physics of "information".

Or he might be referring to the bounty of new "discoveries" waiting to be made in CS as opposed to physics. Though I'd call them inventions instead of discoveries unless they're particularly elementary and revolutionary, but all that stuff was thoroughly experimented with decades ago, so the only way we're going to get any actual base-level computing discoveries made is if a new kind of logic is discovered, such as memristor technology or whatever the fuck a quantum computer is, and that's the sort of thing left to physicists. Wetware computation never.

>fell for the physics meme
fuck it dawg i enjoy it

theory mixed with computation skills is industry gold senpai

welcome to leafistan
you do not get a choice

Me too, except I've got to start and finish 4 lab reports and a lab within like 35 hours, I am not confident.

Is Physics interesting?

>""""invented"""" boolean logic

I guess we better thank Newton for INVENTING gravity too XD

Did you mean physicist? You don't "major" in medicine. Unless that's a European thing.

I wouldn't say discovered, since like mathematics it isn't an explicit existence outside of human brains, and mathematics itself possess no predictive capabilities like a physical science does. I'd say physics was "discovered" because physics represents a series of theories with predictive capabilities, same with the other physical sciences. But mathematics, as well as computer science and in general "logic" doesn't strike me as something that was discovered.

Another way of looking at things is whether they stem from physical observations or not. The physical sciences, quite possibly by definition, do so. Mathematics, or any kind of logic, were purely conceptualised by the human brain, at least at a base level. But large parts of mathematics could well be abstractions of physical laws, especially things like vectors, cross-products, and divergences. Statistics is kind of in a grey area because it was discovered to describe probabilities and such, and because of this I don't think it is possible to perfectly define the boundary between "invented" and "discovered".

For example: Were gold or silver discovered? Yes. Were constantan or invar invented? Yes. But was electrum discovered or invented? Gold and silver are often found together, so it wouldn't be surprising if they were refined together thus being discovered, but the actual use of an alloy called "electrum" must have come later, after electrical sciences emerged.

>implying fucking wives gives better orgasms than going balls-deep into string theory
>implying anyone with intellect to successfully make it in hep-th would care about money
Butthurt brainlet engineer

Is Physics degree different in USA? Most of my seniors that graduated (at least the ones with 3.75++/4.00 CGPA) got jobs as engineers. Our course has a lot of applied physics classes. I'm still 1st year so just meme tier physics for now. I'm from Malaysia btw.

Guys, I'm supposed to specialize next year in something, but I really don't know what to fucking choose, every specialization has something interesting. Choose my specialization for me PLEASE

Astrophysics - g. relativity, cosmology, celestial dynamics
Meteorology - Hydrodynamics, chaos
Condensed matter physics - Superconductivity, superliquidity, quantum states, cool as fuck lab equipment
Optics - Quantum optics I guess?
Biophysics - I know nothing about this and from what I've read it sounds shit.

Particle physics not an option? Astro or condensed matter

Yeah it is but who the fuck wants to do that lol. I don't wanna be a cog in the CERN machine.

What type of engineering?

It also involves just making code for their bullshit detectors 90% of the time.

Why astro or condensed matter? Those are my favourites too.

There are also other options like theoretical physics, geophysics and mathematical modeling

Condensed matter seems most important for continuing to push technology forward - its given us semiconductors and has much more to give. Cosmology is fascinating in its own right and dynamics is applicable to commercial satellites and hopefully the coming rebirth of spaceflight.

I guess the difference would be whether you want to work in a lab or program simulations.

>le smart people dun care about money
Keep deluding yourself, freshie.

Who are you speaking for, brainlet?

Non-autistic population.

>do master's in cosmology
>realize I'd rather work with the observatories themseleves rather than with the data they provide

The only really smart people that care about money on this planet work for rentek. That makes a dozen of them with pretty much 0 impact on human knowledge. Wew lad, sure showed those intellectually above you.

>really smart people
>no true scotsman
Yes. Get back to me after overcoming your insecurities, bubbah.

Feel free to show the mathematicians and theoretical physicists that do it for money. I'm willing to bet that even among phenomenologists, you won't find anyone notable that does. Rentek employs pure mathematicians, undeniably very good ones.

>you are only intelligent if you do scientific research for a living
Holy... How is that undergrad freshman year going?

>muh zuckey is smurt, billy bill too, buffet is surt right?
Maybe compared to you. There are many far more intelligent people. Even among undergrad freshmen you tool

>hurr muh straw men
>hurr you're dumb
Nice arguments there, autismo.