The Hobbit in Sindarin

Hey, I'm thinking of translating The Hobbit in Sindarin
It originally was written by Bilbo in Westron, but since Westron is such an obscure language that's been almost entirely transformed into english by Tolkien, I think that Sindarin is pretty much my only alternative with Quenya (but quenya is a bit unnecessary for such a book)
You could image that Bilbo, while he was staying in Rivendell told his story a good amount of times and it ended up being written down in Sindarin by someone else or himself.

I'd really like to own a book in Sindarin and think that it could probably interest a lot of people too even if they don't speak elvish, it'd be interesting just for the novelty of it

Tell me what you think of it!

(Pic related is the first parapraph of the book, except that it's not Sindarin but english written in Tengwar c': )

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I think you're wasting your time

This is some next level fedora

Probably but it's not like I really care, I do what I want

Then why did you come here asking for approval?

I think it's a neat idea and if the book itself was beautiful, leather bound etc I'd possibly want it myself

Add a cape and a cane to it, and I'd buy it

This idea is so autistic it sounds like something Tolkien himself would do. Godspeed, user

Not approval, opinions, if those can still be found

That's kinda why I want to make it, I'm a sucker for beautiful books and apart from the personal accomplishment there's probably a niche market a fans who would be interested

Great, now i needn't make a thread that will die with no answers...

Is there actually any source available to learn these? Did tolkien wrote any of the rules and vocabulary other than the lotr/silmarillion?

>Is there actually any source available to learn these? Did tolkien wrote any of the rules and vocabulary other than the lotr/silmarillion?
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk
should be some stuff in the conlang section

Yes there is, kinda spread out but some people have made up lessons and dictionaries
Tolkien wrote a lot of background stuff, and I mean A LOT
Most of it is accessible and a lot of research was done, basically, Quenya and Sindarin can be learned
Even though there's probably a few words and sayings that you'd have to invent or change based on the etimology if you want to do something like translate a book in it
Look it up, you should find what you're looking for

Sounds like a cool idea. Have you only done the first paragraph, or have you gone beyond that? Also, what difficulties have you encountered? Translating is supposed to be extremely hard, and going from English to something that probably isn't as fleshed out as a "real" language would probably be immensely difficult, I imagine.

No I haven't gone far at all I'm just starting

The main difficulties are to be able to build the confidence to make up words which make sense etymologically, and also going from a language that is a bit less noble to a one which is more formal
So some ways of speech will have to be changed too
I think it might be doable though
Won't be finished quickly, but with a bit of time it might just work out!

The hardest thing in translating is probably the fact that you have to change the language but still keep it as if the original author had written it, that might be the most tricky part

Are you NEET m9?

Nope, I'm actually a photography student with already too much work on my hands but hey, why not

Being NEET would help though, rolling around in all my glorious neetbucks in the basement

That would be awesome OP. You should write Christopher Tolkien when you're through. You may actually be able to receive monetary compensation for your heroic efforts, and, if not, I'll still consider you a hero.

As would Tolkien - this is precisely the sort of hardcore nerddom in which he would engage himself.

Once I'm finished with the first chapter (GOD knows when, I'm literally just starting) I think that I'd like to send him a letter, I respect and love him so much
He's still working on his father's work a 92, a new book is being published this year, I mean fugg

I'll also probably drop it somewhere so people can see it

people on here will dump a bunch of their negative shit on you but get this, if you actually did this and finished it you could totally publish it and people would buy it. godspeed OP

I'd say this is a cool project but you sound like a total faggot.

>>
I think I'm nice :(
But sorry if you don't see me like that, we're on an image board and it's quite hard to juge people like that
But hey, I did say I was a photography student and sometimes those are assholes, so that's something

Have a nice catte with fishe though, that's nice

Thank you so much for the kind words, it's really really motivating

You're welcome. You earned it.

>I'll also probably drop it somewhere so people can see it

Please do. I'd love that.

I think that's cool as hell OP