Hi Veeky Forums I need your opinion

Hi Veeky Forums I need your opinion
I want to study engineering and I resently met a group of them, and now I feel a bit doubtful because they basically say that they are the best and everybody else who dont study engineering is a retard.
I felt a very disturbing lack of humility from their part, and now I feel like I dont want to be part of that group of people :(
Chosse any other carrer that is not engineering and you are basically a retard in their eyes.
I dont know what to do, do I will became a douchebag like them in the future? I dont want to be like that, I just want to study and be aroud cool and interesting people and not with persons like them.
Are the mayority of engineers like that or it was just a bad experience?

major in math so you can have that same attitude but you'll actually be justified

>Are the mayority of engineers like that
yes

Why you say that?
:(
But i dont want to be like that or be around people like that

currently in an engineering school studying computer science and computer engineering. I don't know if its just my department, but everyone here thinks they know more than you and want you to know that's how they feel.

If you say anything in a course to a professor that isn't verifiable truth they will shoot they're god damn hands in the air to correct your ass or provide an alternative viewpoint that nobody asked for.

I fucking hate these autismo shit stains, but I like the content and the job security. The engineering community itself however can go fuck itself. Bunch of self-righteous pricks.

Speaking of uni, anybody know how hard Biology is? I have an interest in it, but am not sure if I'll actually be able to keep up, having little prior knowledge. I turned 20 earlier this month and I want to study something before I become a wagecuck for the rest of my life. I was thinking about majoring in Biology and minoring in Creative Writing, because I also have a passion there. I did a year of general business papers during my first year out of high school and that wasn't for me, I then did a half-year traveling Europe because being an NZfag I haven't spent much time there before. Now I'm ready to study, do I do it Veeky Forums?
Like the image implies, I'm currently NEET and living at home.

You really think a master degree in math > engineering degree ?

Oh no that was my fear ;----;

Welcome to my sad career thread

To continue with some after thoughts, this has just been my experience in the computer science department at my school. You won't become like this just because you're an engineer, people act like that because they've been told they are smart their whole lives and think that they are superior to everyone else around them.

The ego comes from the person not the material. If you want to do engineering I would recommend it.

Thanks user I hope to find people like you

You write like a 14 year old girl, but in regards to your question;
It's like anything, when you learn something new and you learn it in-depth, you'll look down on people who don't know what you know, as it'll come naturally to you while to them it will still be a mystery. If any engineering scenario comes up in a social situation, a basic engineering problem for you might be very tough for those who haven't studied it. You'll definitely think that they're stupid, or that you're superior. The best way to avoid it is to put yourself in their shoes and don't let your experience in the field of study reflect poorly on others just because they studied something else.

No idea about Biology, try making a thread about it; [spoiler]and getting b& because these threads are against the rules[/spoiler]

What's sad about a career in Engineering or Biology? Or did you mean because these poor saps don't know what to do with their lives?

>they are the best and everybody else who dont study engineering is a retard.
They're not wrong.
t. engineer

For the amount of money you make for the amount and difficulty of work that you do, you would have to be a retard to not be an engineer.
We're smug for a reason.

I doubt that's true for all engineers. Engineering is such a vague phrase, elaborate on what kind of engineering you do.

Chemical.

Engineering is for normies who did well in maths and science at school

Just tell them that you don't plan on working on putting 30 years of your life into working on some piece of machinery that will impact just about no one. Then join the real crowd of physics.

This.

Don't you mean sciences?

I asked earlier but nobody got back to me, how's Biology as a bachelor's degree? It's a fairly interesting subject, I'm just worried about the workload.

Not the guy you replied to, but I know plenty of normies doing fine in their undergrad biology degrees. It's mostly memorization at that stage anyway.

work load isn't bad. Probably the least employable of hard sciences though.

>getting b& because these threads are against the rules

i've always thought that was kinda shitty.

really, where would you get better insight with regards to science based careers: on a board DEDICATED to science, or on the "advice" board that largely involves threads like "how do i get a bf/gf", "is my bf/gf cheating on me", "should i kill myself" and "how do i have a threesome"?

i'm not gonna go to /tv/ to talk about sports just because sports COULD be "on television". i'm gonna go to the board DEDICATED to sports. i COULD find people on /adv/ with knowledge of science based careers, but i would have MUCH better luck on the board DEDICATED to science.

Study math so you can make fun of them when you catch them running to the TA's office with their heads down because they're failing calc II.

Humility is a prize you earn

This

this. that cocky attitude gets toned down a year or so into industry.

>Others in your field deter you from pursuing it

Grow up pussy

Three words, OP:

Rise
Above
it

you don't have to be like them, simply study what you want for yourself to study because you want it.

You will become a dick like them sorry op

>If you say anything in a course to a professor that isn't verifiable truth they will shoot they're god damn hands in the air to correct your ass or provide an alternative viewpoint that nobody asked for.

If you aren't in the fucking Marine Corps, you're a fucking liar or an embellishing agoraphobic.

My experience as a mechanical engineering student
>originally just go for associates degree at state college because naive kid who doesn't want to be an adult
>all As, everything is easy
>60 credits, lots of writing and papers and shit
>I want to become an engineer
>go to local university's engineering panel meet up
>discussing what its like to be an engineer and what it takes
>discuss becoming a student with university
>requires minimum of a B in many basic and advanced courses to transfer as a sophomore
>over a year later
>get mostly As at state college, end up transferring with 90 something credits
>courses are very rigorous
>professors are fair
>the only professors that have a reputation of treating you with disrespect offer very few courses because they are adjunct professors who seem to have no seriousness in pursuing tenure
>there is strict counseling throughout your academic career in which active, tenured professors counsel you at the beginning and end of every semester
>counselors tell you the truth and help you
>professors have mandatory, open door office hours
>no professor so far has refused a private meeting scheduled to fit each other's schedules before or after exams
>TAs can suck ass sometimes and be a pain in the ass, professors of mine have acknowledged this and fixed grades based on evidence as long as the behavior is adjusted to fit the TA's grading expectations
>for some people, including myself, dealing with the financial aid department every year feels like it should warrant a few credit hours per year
>all this stress testing and difficulty is for senior design and preparation for the FE exam

That all sounds strange

Everything seems so.. Bogus. I don't think I could come up with the proper bogusness of all majors but there seems to be just a shitstain on every single one. I'm about to say fuck it and become a radiologist because money. I'm gonna take loans as much as I can to not be a poorfuck the next 12 years (not sure if I can. Can I? Lol) and then be a doctorfuck for the next couple decades sitting in a beautiful office jerking off while everyone else argues over the most worthless major.

But really I wanna do everything.. Especially math and physics

then just become a radiologist because money.

>plan on working on putting 30 years of your life into working on some piece of machinery that will impact just about no one
Is it true ?

Then why don't you study southeast asian hydroponic linguistics with the rest of the brainlets ?

that will be automated in 2 years

Because I am not a retard like you

>not becoming an anesthesiologist and low-key killing your wife
shiggy diggy

Nice to read this, I was thinking about that.
If they are the same cocky retards when they are working in the real life and not in academia

I don't know, all the auto/mech/aero/electrical engineers I met were bretty nice people, albeit quite fitting the normie nerd stereotype. CS fags are insufferable though. Had to share a building with them for several years and tutored calc and LA for a couple semesters and nearly all of them are annoying pseuds with insane ego.

Oh yeah, some cs fags are insuferable

ah, the hans reiser life hack...

That answer your question?

> ?
Regardless of his thoughts, you just confirmed his beliefs.

>implying there are mods on Veeky Forums
There's no way a thread about science related careers is going to be deleted now that we're /pol/-lite.

So what, that's op's problem.

Engineers automates when?

It will happen

For sure