ILIAD READING DAY 5 OR SOMETHING

I'm just starting on book 12, I dont know what happened to the reading group but as it shows, Veeky Forums autists are incapable of following a set schedule despite not leaving their room

get in here

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12060288
youtube.com/watch?v=eIhHZuwIsvs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How organised was this? How many people said they were going to take part? How long after it was first discussed was Day 1 (gotta give people time to get the book if they want a physical copy)? Did you have a schedule and an OP who was going to post every day?

I would make a poll to work out who is still around and how far in they are.

lol The heroic exploit of Diomedes is my favorite part of the whole poem.

>ywn be as badass as diomedes

Original OP here,

I'm so sorry guys. We got some bad ass snow and of all places our lines were done, including internet. Didn't expect this to happen, but we are on day 5.

To compensate, we can have a poll and see how behind and off track the others are, then determine make up days.

Again, I'm sorry. I'm hoping you guys didn't quit on me

"So brave with your bow and arrows—big bravado—
glistening lovelocks, roving eye for girls!
Come, try me in combat, weapons hand-to-hand—
bow and spattering shafts will never help you then.
You scratch my foot and you're vaunting all the same—
but who cares? A woman or idiot boy could wound me so.
The shaft of a good-for-nothing coward's got no point
but mine's got heft and edge. Let it graze a man--
my weapon works in a flash and drops him dead.
And his good wife will tear her cheeks in grief,
his sons are orphans and he, soaking the soil
red with his own blood, he rots away himself—
more birds than women flocking round his body!"

Diomedes is fucking boss

The group started like 1-2 days after it was first discussed. I only just bought my copy yesterday, and I'm finishing a different book first so I had no chance to even participate.

bump :p

You in New York? Just north of my house has been obliterated with snow, fortunately I didnt get any.

Ring schedule from previous thread

You can join at any time

thats a pretty unforgiving schedule for a group with no accountability.

I might have considered joining in late or the discussions but thats a little much when im already into some other things

I get done with my daily reading in under an hour. If you can't even do that, don't bother lol

You can also leave at any time

thats hilarious. you have it all figured out.

OP, can we have a few days to get our shit together and let everyone get to the same point?

Progress poll: strawpoll.me/12060288

Yeah actually. Glad you didn't get hit too bad. We're okay but it was rough

Sure m8, how far has everyone read

I'm way ahead of schedule btw, been kind of reading on my own time. I'm going to be reading some side texts inbetween Iliad and Odyssey though, but I will still drop in for discussions every day.

That part reminded me of this somehow:
youtube.com/watch?v=eIhHZuwIsvs

Read the Homeric Hymns. There isn't much left of them, but it should feel the gap for you and allow others to catch up.

Just finished book 12, why is Hector such a beast?

His face dark
as the sudden rushing night but he blazed on in bronze
and terrible fire broke from the gear that wrapped his body,
two spears in his fists. No one could fight him, stop him,
none but the gods as Hector hurtled through the gates
and his eyes flashed fire. And whirling round
he cried to his Trojans, shouting through the ruck,
"The wall, storm the wall!"

OP, translation?

Also, anyone help me with what translation of Odyssey should I get? I guess same as Iliad.

I'm starting book 8 because i wanted to finish a fucking show i was watching (And it hasn't ended yet for god's sake), but i guess i could push it a little and read 4 books in a day or something

>With these words, he strode away like a snow-capped mountain

What did he mean by this?

Pseud reading group.
I've already read it.

Please accept me.

>arriving Jan 12
>group finishes the book on Jan 13
>you don't even have the next one ready

fine by me

>all these potential readers who missed because I got cucked by a snowstorm

Guys.. shall we reboot or are we all trucking along leaving behind the weak?

you have 1 day to finish the whole thing

This is kind of a mess my man, you need to start posting the entire reading schedule in the OP. I say we have a three day amnesty to let those who haven't get up to book 16, and also we need to plan out the histories a little better, maybe have a short while between the Iliad and the Histories to give people time to get their copy.

So are you guys doing all the Greeks in order or what?

Like is there gonna be a Plato reading group at some point, because I'm game af for that

I remember the initial thread wanted to go all the way through the greeks, but the organisation is a bit shaky. Is anyone else willing to organise things since OP can't get his shit together?

I agree. Like I said, the snow really blew me off track.

New OP, want me to take back over or have you claimed my territory? If so, make sure you let them know about amnesty.

I'd say 4 days amnesty, that way everyone can get their books, everyone can participate in a poll, and we can get back on track, all on a weekend

If you think your internet is safe I'm totally happy to let you continue, 4 days amnesty sounds good to me, we need to work out how many books we're reading a month and what order we're reading things also.

Come on man, let's not blame the guy. It's not his fault.

OPs of reading groups generally fuck things up a little, but they can always recover. I should know; I'm the original OP of the W&P reading group and I spent most of the new year period several days behind on my own schedule, for various reasons. But we're back up and running normally now, because people pulled together and fixed it. Reading groups don't really need to have a consistent OP beyond a utilitarian need for someone to set up threads. If they don't set up a thread, it's up to other members to start it, because literally anyone can post the thread.

It's an anonymous forum and mucking in regardless of whether you're "supposed" to make the thread or not, without grumbling and complaining, is the best way to get by.

I'd need one week if I were to join. W&P and CoMC group both finish then, which means there will be a bunch of the most unflagging doorstop readers who might join.

Are you guys just doing 4 days of catch-up, or are you rebooting the group in 4 days?

What I'll do is give 4 days to assess where everyone's progress is right now and then go from there. If the other reading groups finish that soon then perhaps it is best to wait.

The main problem with waiting that long is that I've got so many on a set little track and a week break may break down progress.
look cunt biscuit, it's not my fault I cannot control the weather. I've said it three times now. As I said in the last thread, if you're going to bitch an moan in our group, please get out.
Like said, these aren't going to be the consistent Uni sort of threads. Shit happens.

I'm all for an irc by the way guys, discussion can be had within the irc and in the general thread for those who come in late/want to contribute outside of the group

Let's get back on the road and have fun with this, guys. Looking forward to getting a bunch of you contributing. Love you cuties ~

MUH RAMPARTS
MUH AEANTES
MUH SIGNS

If you guys take a break day or two that would work perfectly for me. I just started my re-reading of the Iliad yesterday and am up to book 6 today after about 4 hours total of reading and note taking.

i agree with the 4 days break
will we discuss what we'll read after Ilyad or will we go directly to Odyssey?

My vote is for Odyssey

Odyssey

>I'm just starting on book 12, I dont know what happened to the reading group but as it shows, Veeky Forums autists are incapable of following a set schedule despite not leaving their room

People left because you didn't start with Mythology.

Poorly organised. OP randomly wanted to start it the very day he got the idea. Anyone who wanted to start a Slack or IRC to help organise things was dismissed by him. Anyone wanting to get a copy of the book or read some valuable supplemental material first was mocked. The Shakespeare and Short Story readathons are going better because they don't have someone weirdly egotistical running them.

It was literally the very day of, not even a day after.

>thats a pretty unforgiving schedule for a group with no accountability.
I'll say, and it was made with no group input.

So welcoming.

Now the backpedalling begins once OP realises he soon won't even have anyone at all to lord over at this rate.

>Come on man, let's not blame the guy. It's not his fault.

It quite literally is, for many reasons.

The W&P reading group is done pretty well from what I've seen, good job user.

Can you not see what a mess you've made of this yet? It would have gone so much better if you hadn't rushed into it, hadn't barrelled into it without any communal organisation at the start. I don't think you're a bad guy or anything, and I share your enthusiasm for this text, but you're really not the right person to be running things here.

You ought to have your mental illness checked out.

As an OP of two of those reading groups, thank you for the kind words!

>That feel when you see an Iliad thread and you are currently reading the Iliad.

I just finished Book 12.

I love reading about the bravery and valor of Diomedes and Hector. Expecting a great clash between the two.

When will Achilles get his shit together and help his Greek brethren out?

This is a fucking mess desu, I wish I had joined the war and peace group or something.

This is why these groups never work out, it's because faggots like you.

Each book is only like 40 pages. How retarded is Veeky Forums to not be able to read 60~80 pages a day of a TRANSLATED poem?

You shouldn't need a week to read that. We jumped right into it because j thought people read here. We didn't start with hamiltons mythology because it would be too slow if progress and o figured everyone would know who the hell Zeus is.

There was plenty of group input, and I provided a ton of extra reading if they wanted. We can't have this group run slow because there's so much to cover. We have to keep this running on a track. I'm sorry I can't pamper you and work around your schedule.

I get that it's a little messy man, but you need to realize it's not just me. Things will settle once everyone stops whining.

let's get some reading done though. We're getting close boys

>This is why these groups never work out, it's because faggots like you.

You backed this point up really well by not addressing any of my actual points and constructing a strawman around the length of the books.

Ever considered people might not have a copy of the book and would have liked to buy it or borrow it from a library and start at book 1 with the rest of you? Not everyone reads books on screens, or pirates.

> We can't have this group run slow because there's so much to cover.

Looks like you can't run the group at all, to be frank. It's working in spite of you. Notice the much lower activity compared to the similar reading groups on this board. That's not a coincidence, and it's not a case of people liking War and Peace more than Homer or anything. It's purely down to the haphazard organisation and weird ego trips here.

>Things will settle once everyone stops whining.

This honestly is sad man. You're sticking your head in the sand and ignoring every point raised in favour of acting like everyone is whining and out to get you. Surely, as an adult, you can take constructive criticism. Or do you truly believe all your actions have been perfect here, and it's just everybody else's fault that it's been such a mess? That's utterly delusional.

/CoMC/ actually ends in 10 days. We slapped in some catch up days near the end to make sure everyone is ready to finish it together.

OP it is preferable to go slow and get everybody to the finish than rush things and have the group die. That is why comc and w&p are still alive.

Same guy who asked here, my vote goes for Odyssey too

>Expecting a great clash between the two.
That would be Patroclus

>When will Achilles get his shit together and help his Greek brethren out?
Later, Homer is saving the best for the last

Does Veeky Forums ever keep up any sort of book club besides this one?

Why not restart the whole club OP my man? Get more people in on it, go slightly slower and give people a chance to purchase the book

I agree, let's start from scratch with the Iliad again. Look at the War and Peace thread for an example of how to run things. A clear timetable, and for fuck's sake, give people a chance to order the bloody book in.

We need more people than war and peace a coma because this is a longer term book club covering multiple books. People will drop off and we're already slacking

and CoMC *

Which is exactly why we should restart and give people a chance to buy in the Iliad. Also, if we're really going to attempt a full on start with the greeks club, we need to have a curriculum agreed upon before we set sail, it's a pretty mammoth undertaking to be frank.

There are current reading groups for

COMC War and Peace Short Stories

I'll probably just do this, I'm becoming autistic and I see a lot of people who may want to join.

What'll it be lads, want me to start a new today or once this dies

>want me to start a new today

OP. Can I call you OP? I don't know how to tell you this, but this just isn't working out. I think you need to step back and either let someone else call the shots for the group or let someone else be OP.

thanks.

Has anybody tried making a goodreads page for the group? I don't know if that would help with organization, but otherwise I agree that a start with the greeks group should probably slow down. Looks like the other groups give people time to catch up and digest shit.

If you're doing a daily schedule, the group is probably going to die. Some people aren't actually NEETs around here. I'll try to pick it up during The Odyssey reading though. Already re-read the iliad pretty recently, but not the Odyssey.

There should at least be an ebook and audiobook in the OP.

Yeah man, get a thread going for a week or so and build some excitement. We need a lot of people if we want this to work and I really do. I'd suggest making a goodreads group as well. A slower pace so that everyone has enough time, there's no rush! Good job though man, I'll help you organise if you get a group going

Seconding this, OP just doesn't know what he's doing. If nobody else has bothered by tomorrow, I'll restart the club tomorrow.

And so their spirits soared
as they took positions down the passageways of battle
all night long, and the watchfires blazed among them.
Hundreds strong, as stars in the night sky glittering
round the moon's brilliance blaze in all their glory
when the air falls to a sudden, windless calm . . .
all the lookout peaks stand out and the jutting cliffs
and the steep ravines and down from the high heavens bursts
the boundless bright air and all the stars shine clear
and the shepherd's heart exults—so many fires burned
between the ships and the Xanthus' whirling rapids
set by the men of Troy, bright against their walls.
A thousand fires were burning there on the plain
and beside each fire sat fifty fighting men
poised in the leaping blaze, and champing oats
and glistening barley, stationed by their chariots,
stallions waited for Dawn to mount her glowing throne.

what translation?

Fagles