Hey Veeky Forums, Philosophyfag here...

Hey Veeky Forums, Philosophyfag here. What physics and mathematics do I have to know in order to understand quantum physics?

Other urls found in this thread:

staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just check out Khan academy and you'll be fine.

Linear algebra

Differential Geometry and Topology

Probability t.b.h

Differential Equations, calc 1,2,3, Linear Algebra, Discrete Math, and Probability

I should also add that once you take these, you'll probably laugh at philosophy. You'll see there exists an a large set of objective truths regardless of frame of reference or interpretation, which isn't something that could be said of philosophy.

Discrete math? Fugg, I thought I would never have to deal with that meme. I have intro to QM next semester, should I review some concepts?

Nice philosophy you have there.

PDEs and Functional Analysis cover most of it. Lots of Geometry too if you want to do anything involving gravity.

what do you mean by this ? what subjective truths ?

But seriously, mathematics is a wholly self contained system of symbolic games which happens to behave isomorphically with sense-data, and consequently allows you to make predictions. That's all that can be said about it. Mathematical concepts pop in your head like the rest of your thoughts and experiences as far as you can tell. You need phenomenological concepts like the synthetic a priori to even make the claim that mathematics point to an objective truth, unless you're going from some antiquated platonic worldview, which would make you no more sophisticated than a numerologist. Your assumption that math proves the existence of an ''objective'' reality is a set of philosophical axioms in itself. You need to suppose a certain set of axioms to carry any sort of rigorous thinking. Why do you think philosophy is synonymous with unprovable speculation and a relativist worldview? Silly that you would cast off like that a field that contains among other things the study of formal logic, and sets the groundworks for the development of the scientific method.

Ples respon

Stop being a brainlet

I'm trying, but I thought I only need to know probability distributions and not meme combinatorics.b

>objective truths

Fourier Analysis and Linear Algebra

He's right, you know.

You don't really need discrete for an intro class, but it helps.

>Bohr disagrees with an user
Yeah I'll take the appeal to authority on this one bossman

Okay brainlet

Here you go: staff.science.uu.nl/~gadda001/goodtheorist/