What are some good books that will help me learn Japanese?

What are some good books that will help me learn Japanese?

Other urls found in this thread:

guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar
kanji.koohii.com/
ankisrs.net/
jisho.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ask my brother, he would know

俺の日記

fucking weeb

OKASAAAAAAAAAA

Any novel that you find interesting and the Dictionaries of Japanese Grammar series.

I tried to learn Japanese back when I was a weeb and failed. So take my advice with a grain of salt. These were the books I used

For learning the Japanese writing system/s:
Heisig - Remembering the Kana (do this first)
Heisig - Remembering the Kanji, 3 volumes
It is debatable how many of the 3 Kanji volumes one should actually do. At least use the first one. Research the others and make up your own mind.

Grammar, etc.
Most people recommend the Genki textbook series. This will teach you kana and kanji as well, but many people think it is worth it to knock these out the way with Heisig to make everything else easier later
If you are a weeb you may like the book Japanese the Manga Way
Tae Kim's grammar guide is also useful: guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar

Other useful books
Rubin - Making Sense of Japanese

You also might want to ask on /jp/ if they still have threads about the language there. I haven't been there in years though so I don't know.

Also if you decide to use Heisig there is a website you can register that has a memorization system you can use: kanji.koohii.com/

There are also vocab and other flashcard decks available with Anki: ankisrs.net/

Here is an online dictionary: jisho.org/

I used Genki, がんばれ

whos that semen

Kaguya from Touhou

本当に

Read some manga dude. よつばと!

manga is da best

why is japan so desu

Thanks user, i'll give them a go.

No problem. Here is a bit more advice. The hardest part of Japanese are the writing systems. There are three. Hiragana, Katakan, and Kanji. Hiragana and Katakana are phonetic symbols. Hiragana are normally used for words of Japanese origin and Katakana for words of foreign origin. These are relatively few in number, close to 50 each, and are not much of a problem.

The problem is kanji. These are chinese characters which are used in Japanese. They are much more complex in how they are written, and you will have to learn at a minimum about 2,000 of them. And to top it off they are not phonetic. They each have several different sounds they can make, depending upon the word they are used in. They are a huge difficulty.

That is what the Heisig books I recommended are for. They break these down into mnemonic constructs so that they can be systematized and memorized as easily as possible. The kana book covers hiragana and katakana, the first kanji book covers around 2,200 kanji and teaches you how to write and recognize them. The second kanji volume teaches you the readings of the kanji in the first volume. The third volume deals with more advanced kanji.

These books are a bit controversial as when using them you are ONLY learning kanji and not grammar, etc. You are just learning how to write the language essentially. But the writing of the language is such a fucking problem that I think it justifies this extra step. You are going to have to learn these things somehow, so your best bet is to just barrel through them as quickly as possible and get it out of the way.

But again like I said, you don't necessarily need to do all three kanji books. You can certainly start learning grammar and other things after the first one, and you may not want to use the other two at all. The first is the one that is essential.

not very far along myself but I might as well speak up about a few of these
>Remembering the Kana
I didn't know this was a book, Kana takes a day at most to memorize with flash cards, so I don't think this is necessary
>Remembering the Kanji
This works for some people but I thought his explanations were so weird to remember that you might as well brute-force memorize the kanji themselves
>It is debatable how many of the 3 Kanji volumes one should actually do
1 is the meanings, 2 is the pronunciations, 3 is extra kanji. Definitely use at least the first two if any.
>Japanese the Manga Way
Sounds weird, why not just learn from textbook and get some cheap manga off of ebay to practice?
>Tae Kim's grammar guide
This one helped an assload for me. I tried a few other books first and their approach was way too fucking wacky to do any good; this one cuts a lot of the bullshit.

Some other books:
>Reading Japanese (Jorden, Chaplin)
Teaches how properly read and write kana and some important kanji. Uses examples that make sense to read/write while still easing you in well. You should learn some of the basics before hopping in to get the most out of it

>Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary
You'll need a kanji dictionary, this one is pretty robust & you can use it for looking words up and learning new characters. There's online equivalents but paper versions are better because you'll try harder to remember things when it's super inconvenient to look them up

>This works for some people but I thought his explanations were so weird to remember that you might as well brute-force memorize the kanji themselves

It worked for me. I learned to write all 2,200 in three months.

>three months

Wait, are you trolling? If you do RTK at all it shouldn't take you more than four weeks (ideally two). Spending three freaking months on Heisig is a giant waste of time, you could have used that time to finish core6k and start reading.

Lol, ok.

Please spend some time on /djt/ and learn how to actually learn Japanese. Even Heisig himself tells you to finish his book in six weeks (which is still too slow). Some American codebreakers during WWII became fluent in Japanese in three months, and they didn't have fancy shit like anki and rikaisama (admittedly the American government hired geniuses, but still).